Considering trading up, need VIN help - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 2.5 Outback 6MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering trading up, need VIN help

Hey all!

I've always had my eye on upgrading eventually to a '13-'14 Outback 3.6. I love the green color (or red) and finding one has always been tough. I found what I believe to be a unicorn in the fact I've never seen this combo in the wild before: a '13 OB in green, Limited w/nav, eyesight/moonroof. I found a mom and pop dealer with it for sale for $15k, which is an amazing price for the year/combo. Obviously this comes at a price: this OB has a rebuilt title. The owner of the dealership is foreign so it was a little tough to understand him about what all he did to fix it up. I gathered that he replaced the front bumper, radiator supports, repainted the front end and sides (doors) to fix some scratches, and....that's about it. sounds like it was a somewhat minor fender bender, but if it was, why did it get a rebuilt title?

Can someone here run the VIN for me as a favor to hopefully learn a little more about this OB? Normally I wouldn't consider rebuilt, but for the price it'd be hard to pass up. I drove it and everything seems normal (no rattles, noises, creaks, drives straight so alignment is good).

It only has 42k miles and curious to see what everyone here thinks, perhaps I should just wait and find something else if, for anything, to avoid any resale headaches (which I know I'd eventually have but this is the perfect combo of OB for me).

Thoughts? Thanks!

Link to local ad: 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited $14,995 | ksl.com
VIN NUMBER: 4s4brdpc3d2200155 Manuf. Date: 06/12

Pics are supplement that I took. Any idea what that weird leak through the tire well could be from?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_141517.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	958.7 KB
ID:	331385   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_142145.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	331393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_142031.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	331401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_142020.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	331409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_141514.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	331417  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_142101.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	331425  

[2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6MT, Base, Pearl White Metallic]
[Mods/Additions/Changes] Yakima Holdup Bike Rack, Curt 2" Hitch, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, Rear Bumper Cover, Fumoto Valve, Plastidipped grill and hubcaps, Firestone Destination LE2 tires, debadged rear gate, RallyArmor red-logo mud flaps.
[Previous Subies] 1997 Subaru Outback 4AT, 2009 Subaru Legacy 5MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM

I just bought mine 2011 with a rebuilt title. All that means is it cost less than 90% of the total value to repair. Mine was a hail damage vehicle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 PM

I would pay for the Carfax, see what the accident was,.... My worry with the front end damage is maybe it was totaled due to some frame bending which could be hidden from inspection by having it all put back together.. My Baja had minor frame damage and that is what led to me getting the OB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
seller (a car dealer ) should have that carfax in their computer and printed out while you watch if you go and test drive it.

just clicking on it shows 27 records. (...which seems like a a lot for a 3-4 year old car).

if it was fixed, then sold / registered a few times after that consider it a problem car that people are getting rid of for a reason.

_____

However,

I notice some of the other cars they have are rebuilt titles. implying they are knowledgeable of the rebuild process and may have before and after pics.

here a 10 Legacy 6
2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited $8,495 | ksl.com

and a 15 2.5
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium $16,995 | ksl.com

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 PM

This could be a great deal or not. At that price I would take to a top of line body shop. They should be able to put on a lift and do some measuring and see if it's all in line. Next would be a mechanical shop to check it out. This would be well worth the cost . It might cost a few hundred dollars but you will know what you have. I would also add that before you do that it is the car you want and your ready to pull the trigger. if dealer does not let you do these checks be ready to walk. Best of luck
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 2.5 Outback 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
seller (a car dealer ) should have that carfax in their computer and printed out while you watch if you go and test drive it.

just clicking on it shows 27 records. (...which seems like a a lot for a 3-4 year old car).

if it was fixed, then sold / registered a few times after that consider it a problem car that people are getting rid of for a reason.

_____

However,

I notice some of the other cars they have are rebuilt titles. implying they are knowledgeable of the rebuild process and may have before and after pics.

here a 10 Legacy 6
2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited $8,495 | ksl.com

and a 15 2.5
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium $16,995 | ksl.com

Yeah, I was just stopping by so I forgot to ask for a Carfax that he should have and some before and after pics since he did the repairs. He had some other Forester XTs and whatnot there, again, assuming he just does rebuilds so I would think he's good at it. I, of course would bring it to a mechanic to look at, but forgot about bringing to a body shop for inspection. That's a good idea for sure.

I'm not inherently scared of a rebuilt title depending on what it was being repaired from, how well it was done, and where the damage was. Those 27 hits on the Carfax though could be nothing big or it could be a big headache. Almost hardly seems worth the $5 grand I'd be saving over a clean title.

[2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6MT, Base, Pearl White Metallic]
[Mods/Additions/Changes] Yakima Holdup Bike Rack, Curt 2" Hitch, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, Rear Bumper Cover, Fumoto Valve, Plastidipped grill and hubcaps, Firestone Destination LE2 tires, debadged rear gate, RallyArmor red-logo mud flaps.
[Previous Subies] 1997 Subaru Outback 4AT, 2009 Subaru Legacy 5MT
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 AM

Also remember that it's not a big deal for you but if you do sell or trade it will be a pain in the butt .
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:31 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited w/all the goodies
That leak might be a torn outer CV shaft boot, slinging grease as it spins .

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

VDC? Vehicular Donuts Cancellation
Vehicle Dynamics Control
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM

Check this link. There is a fuzzy picture of the damage. Nothing I would buy but hey it's your money.

Auto Auction Ended on VIN: 4S4BRDPC3D2200155 2013 Subaru Outback 3. in Newburgh, NY

"Another Brick In The Wall", PF 1979
2015 Twlight Blue OB Premium
1976 Camaro, 355ci/425hp 4speed
1984 Corvette
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited w/all the goodies
Considering trading up, need VIN help

He undermined the actual repair by stating he painted only the bumper and fenders...
That whole front end had to of been replaced. New hood, fenders, radiator and a bunch of other unseen parts.
You should look closely at the interior too, pay attention to areas where the airbags went off. Does everything line up and match?
Not to mention how is the wire harnesses in the crumpled zone from the collision? An unseen pinched wire will cause problems down the road.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

VDC? Vehicular Donuts Cancellation
Vehicle Dynamics Control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: