Phone Contacts --> 2012 Limited Stereo - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Phone Contacts --> 2012 Limited Stereo

Sorry if this has been covered, I searched messages and the web be couldnt get a clear answer.

I have an iPhone, and I would like to transfer contacts (one at a time is fine) to my HK stereo. Alternatively is there any way to add a contact to the HK with the text of the persons name so when a call comes in I can see who it is instead of a series of numbers.

My friend has a Hyndai tuscon base model and it just auto syncs the contacts every time he turns the car on once the phone has been paired buy the HK in spite of its color screen doesnt seem so advanced. lol.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Alchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bump, doesn't anyone have an iPhone and know how to transfer contacts to the Harmon Kardon in the 2012 outback limited?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Silver Outback 2.5i Limited, NAV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist42 View Post
Bump, doesn't anyone have an iPhone and know how to transfer contacts to the Harmon Kardon in the 2012 outback limited?
Since 2010, at least, this has not been able to be accomplished. I assume there is an issue with the HK and iPhone. The 2012 Impreza worked flawlessly for my wife. My 2011 Outback can not sync the iPhone contact list. There other message links covering this topic. You might want to do a search in the discussion database.

2011 Outback in Southern Indiana.
AA9ZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA9ZZ View Post
Since 2010, at least, this has not been able to be accomplished. I assume there is an issue with the HK and iPhone. The 2012 Impreza worked flawlessly for my wife. My 2011 Outback can not sync the iPhone contact list. There other message links covering this topic. You might want to do a search in the discussion database.
Thanks. I searched before posting, found a number of discussions but couldnt gleen any real answers from them. One had someone successfully moving contacts to their phone with an App but no information was provided about the App or if their phone was an iPhone or Android or what. Salesman really need to get up to speed on this, I had two salesman tell me it works fine.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: The dry side of the blood brain barrier in SW Idaho
Car: TWO 2010 2.5CVT Premiums for daughters, 2012 3.6R limited for me:-)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist42 View Post
Thanks. I searched before posting, found a number of discussions but couldnt gleen any real answers from them. One had someone successfully moving contacts to their phone with an App but no information was provided about the App or if their phone was an iPhone or Android or what. Salesman really need to get up to speed on this, I had two salesman tell me it works fine.
I was also told it worked fine by my salesman, but it doesn't. It has been discussed a bunch on this site, by many, and no one has an answer to the problem. Well, except entering the most frequently used numbers manually.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just found a compatibility chart on the Subaru website for the H/K with Nav and it states that the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S (white) WILL NOT transfer the contacts via the bluetooth connection.

Dang...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was able to get the contacts to download using an App called "Bluetooth File Transfer". Unfortunately you have to download each contact individually, but it does work. I just selected my 10-15 most commonly called numbers and downloaded them one by one. You need to select the contact you want to forward via bluetooth on the App, then get the HK radio set to recieve the contact, and it will upload successfully.

The HK bluetooth setup is rather "low tech"...it's a far cry from the uber-cool SYNC system in my wife's Ford. But it's better than nothin'.

I have to remind myself from time to time that the Outback is only a 25-35K car, and adjust my expectations accordingly.
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: '13 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP, '12 Outback 3.6R Limited, '09 Ford Flex, '82 Porsche 911SC, '04 Volvo V40, '95 RR CountyLWB, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), '83 VW GTI
Nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
I was able to get the contacts to download using an App called "Bluetooth File Transfer".
A quick search of the Apple App Store using 'Bluetooth File Transfer' showed about 35 apps.. Every one of them that I clicked on was for sharing between iOS devises.

Exactly which app did you use, by which programmer, did you download and use to transfer contacts from your iPhone to the H/K navigation unit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
A quick search of the Apple App Store using 'Bluetooth File Transfer' showed about 35 apps.. Every one of them that I clicked on was for sharing between iOS devises.

Exactly which app did you use, by which programmer, did you download and use to transfer contacts from your iPhone to the H/K navigation unit?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure. I'm actually using an Android phone, but I found out about the Bluetooth File Transfer app by reading a thread on an Acura forum which was about the iPhone having the same problem with Acura's bluetooth phone system, so I assume the same app was available via iTunes.

If I can find the thread I'll post it. I just googled on the topic, so did not save the link and it was months ago.
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: '13 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP, '12 Outback 3.6R Limited, '09 Ford Flex, '82 Porsche 911SC, '04 Volvo V40, '95 RR CountyLWB, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), '83 VW GTI
Nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Premium (Ruby Red) w/ AWP, 19mm RSB, more mods to come...
Send a message via AIM to snoslicer8

There's a couple of issues here.

1. The iPhone does not support the OBEX (Object Exchange) profile for Bluetooth. This is the profile necessary for transferring contacts (or any other object) one-at-a-time.

2. The iPhone *DOES* support contact syncing through the Hands Free profile, which syncs entire groups of contacts every time the phone connects to the headset/radio.

3. None of the standard Outback radios (or the Navi unit, for that matter) have a Hands Free profile that supports address book syncing, only talking.

Either Subaru needs to update their radios' Bluetooth units to allow the *full* Hands Free profile, or the iPhone needs to adopt the OBEX profile.

I don't see either one happening any time soon.
snoslicer8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: