Issue playing iPod through USB port - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Issue playing iPod through USB port

Lately I've been having an issue playing music through the built in USB interface using my iPod. This has been working fine since I bought the car in October, but in the last 2 weeks or so it decided to stop working. Using the bluetooth streaming works fine, but when you plug in the iPod (iPhone 4 w/ IOS5) the screen on the head unit says "ipod" track 1, and the track time is always 0:00. This is on the standard head unit in the 2012 premium. On the iPod, it use to tell me that an accessory was connected, and that you couldn't control the iPod from the touch screen, but now it acts as if nothing is connected. (controls are fully functional on the iPod, and the output is being sent to the dock connector as opposed to the bluetooth stream) I've checked that the iPod is seeing the connection, as the battery does charge when connected. The iPod continues to "play" the track, even though no audio is coming from the speakers (yes the volume is not turned all the way down), and the head unit doesn't seem to think that it's playing anything. None of the head unit controls for track/list/etc... are working.

I have tried resetting the settings on the iPod with no luck (issue is still present). One strange behavior that I did notice before it stopped working all together is when you pressed the track up/down buttons on the steering wheel, the display on the head unit changed to "playlist" and the audio stopped playing. (before it was working properly and changing the track)

Does anybody know of a way to maybe reset the head unit? Seems to me like some kind of firmware issue on the head unit that's persisting when you turn the car off/on.
aoteri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring with EyeSight; Venetian Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoteri View Post
Lately I've been having an issue playing music through the built in USB interface using my iPod. This has been working fine since I bought the car in October, but in the last 2 weeks or so it decided to stop working. Using the bluetooth streaming works fine, but when you plug in the iPod (iPhone 4 w/ IOS5) the screen on the head unit says "ipod" track 1, and the track time is always 0:00. This is on the standard head unit in the 2012 premium. On the iPod, it use to tell me that an accessory was connected, and that you couldn't control the iPod from the touch screen, but now it acts as if nothing is connected. (controls are fully functional on the iPod, and the output is being sent to the dock connector as opposed to the bluetooth stream) I've checked that the iPod is seeing the connection, as the battery does charge when connected. The iPod continues to "play" the track, even though no audio is coming from the speakers (yes the volume is not turned all the way down), and the head unit doesn't seem to think that it's playing anything. None of the head unit controls for track/list/etc... are working.

I have tried resetting the settings on the iPod with no luck (issue is still present). One strange behavior that I did notice before it stopped working all together is when you pressed the track up/down buttons on the steering wheel, the display on the head unit changed to "playlist" and the audio stopped playing. (before it was working properly and changing the track)

Does anybody know of a way to maybe reset the head unit? Seems to me like some kind of firmware issue on the head unit that's persisting when you turn the car off/on.
Easiest way to reset the head unit that I can think of is to pull your battery terminal for a few minutes. Of course, this will reset your ECU and radio presets, too, but no permanent harm.

Before you do that, though, I suggest you try a different iPod to see if it has the same problem. Then you can easily determine if the problem is with the iPod or the head unit.

If it is the head unit, also consider taking it to the dealer as it is under warranty.
eps105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium

I'm still looking to see if anyone has any more information on this. I tried a couple of things, and I'm still having problems. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. That didn't make any difference. I tried changing out the cable and iPod. (Tried 2 cables, and 3 ipods). Very occasionally (maybe 1 out of every 50 times) the track can be heard through the USB interface, but the controls (except for track up/down) don't function at all. The rest of the time, the iPods claim that the track is playing through the dock connector, and the track up/down buttons function, but no audio can be heard through the speakers.

I'm starting to think that if nobody has any ideas, it might be time to pay a visit to the dealer.
aoteri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE ON MY '12 Impreza

I have the exact same issue on my Impreza. Please let me know what happened with yours and if and how they fixed it at the dealer or if you or anyone found a way. I have had this car for 2 weeks and everything about it was perfect and now this to put a huge black cloud on the awesomeness that was my brand new car. For a Japanese car company, Subaru has got to be dead last in line for reliable gadgets.
JTimpreza12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Try a different sync/USB cable?

My Subaru: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...i-limited.html

"Please don't let my IQ drop from reading your post like Osama's body after a double tap!"
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tried several different cables and several diff phones and ipods with usb and it's still stuck on T-01 0:00 on the screen. It's going to the dealer tomorrow and they'll take a look at it. The car was able to work with this before for weeks so I'm not going to accept that this is just not going to work anymore as an answer from the dealer or SoA.
-Judging from what I've read everywhere else, they will probably replace the head unit because nobody has actually posted anything where they figured out what it was or were able to fix it.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback

Have you recently updated your iPod? If so , that could be the problem? If not , check for updates on your iPod?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.

There is a cable that plus into the back of the connector and goes to the radio. I would pop the console cover off and make us that cable is secure. Other than that, it might be a failure of the iPod dock module or something in the head unit itself.

2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, AWP. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch, 19mm RSB, coil SumoSprings on rear.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Good call

McBrew, That is exactly what it was. At the dealership, they did all the tests I did with many ipods and cables. Then they started checking the cables themselves within the car and where they were harnesed. When they followed the cable from the usb port all the way to the back of the radio they found that the cable was wired improperly and was being pinched by a bracket. They said they re-routed the cable and all ipods and cables then worked. So far so good. I went home listening to the ipod, browsing through tracks and took a few calls on the bluetooth and then it went straight back to the ipod afterwards. Looks like Everything works just fine for now. I wish the folks at the Impreza forum were as responsive as you guys and actually wanted to talk about things wrong with the car as opposed to how fast their WRX STI is and not much more (I mean they are bad @ss cars but we all know that -asked this question 3 times over there and got 0 response).
Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up Thanks!

I have the exact same problem with my 2013 Outback. Thanks to mcbrew and JTimpreza12 for all the info. Back to the dealer it goes with a printout of this forum, just in case they aren't familiar with the problem.
jarbadgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: