2011 Outback Aftermarket Remote Starter - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2011 Outback Aftermarket Remote Starter

I opted out of the remote starter when we ordered our Outback. After some consideration I am thinking about getting an aftermarket (viper 5901) remote starter with security alarm. The OEM shock sensor as a deterrent in the city street parking is not cutting it. I found a reputable security alarm installer that would do a job for a reasonable price. The only thing is they said I would have to lose my valet key? something about using the chip in the key to leave inside the car so the remote start would work. Anyone experience this? and is there anyway around not losing the valet key?
namahs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Cypress Green 2.5 ltd

I went with Astrostart, installed by my Subaru dealer, and did have to give up the valet key. The extra distance over the oem starter and the fact the car does not quit when you open the door were pluses for me. (have not missed the key)
Green LTD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB, 2.5i Limited

Yep. I installed the Viper SmartStart last month when we bought our 2012 & had to give up my valet key. Totally worth it & not at all unheard of. (I've had valet keys for my past several cars & never once used any of them, so I didn't see it as much of a loss anyway.)

"A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

StPSubie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2012 3.6R Limited

I've been shopping for a remote starter for weeks (and my installation is scheduled for 12 hours from now), and the Outback is apparently the most confusing car in the world to put a remote starter on.

One thing that was consistent: you need to give up your valet key, if you're not getting the Subaru system. That's fine with me, since my key hasn't left my glovebox since I drove away from the dealership.

I was reading over some installation manuals, and you basically put the key in a box, and then wrap a wire from the box around the lock cylinder to trick the ECM in to thinking there's a key in the ignition.

Besides the Subaru dealer, there was one place out of about 15 that I visited who said they didn't need the key -- but they did need to buy $200 worth of adapters, and in the end, I wouldn't be able to use the power locks anymore. (I passed)
TotallyJaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 outback limited

Bought a basic starter remote setup, and keyless decoder. Installer said he had to use a key type adapter. One person has stated a keyless can be installed? Valet key, bye-bye! If I did it again, would have spent the extra $30 for a security/remote starter. Sure ignition will not be able to be bypassed easy, but typical break in alarms would give a little more peice of mind.
go12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight

I had my Compustar Remote Starter removed from my '10 Camry and installed in my new '12 2.5. After about 5 minutes of telling me about how difficult it is to install a remote starter in a Subaru, he mentioned that I would have to give up the valet key. I never used the key and didn't care, but he spent some time with Compustar's tech support and was able to use an additional "module" and make it work without using the valet key.

It did cost me a bit more for the install due to the added module, and the install took him almost 4hrs to complete.

I called Compustar's tech support and they confirmed the requirement for a second module, so I know I wasn't ripped off, and the installer had done a great job on my Camry and now on my Subie. In case anyone needs a recommendation, PM me, the shop is located in Northern NJ.

Ideally I would have gone with the Subaru system, but mine has a range greater than 1,000' feet and is a two-way model. I've turned the car on while on a passing train moving at 50MPH and at a distance of 500'. It was nice and toasty by the time I got off the train and walked to the parking lot. The factory system seems to be overpriced, and what's up with it turning off the car when the door is opened?
soobienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Premium

If my co worker did not mentioned to me how much of a rip off doing anything in the dealership, I would have never considered this route. I still remember the manager in the dealership trying to sell me an alarm system for $550. I'm so glad I passed. After getting a quote for the Viper 5901 remote starter w/ security alarm, it was a no brainer. Its just slighter higher than the OEM remote starter plus I have a security system w/ visual LCD screen.
namahs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '11 3.6R Limited BLACK

I bought my OB with the mobile internet factory installed. (I didn't want it and got a partial deduction on the price.) Subaru says you can't install the remote start if you have the mobile internet. But, if I want to have an after market unit installed, does this restriction still apply? I assume the two Subaru features use the same electrical connections or something.
kipepeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Legacy GT Wagon 2.5l & 2007 Outback , 2.5i, Touring

I've seen too many shoddy after-market remote starters/alarm systems installations: from cars starting for no reason ( which I personally experienced on my '01 Legacy when my neighbor called me to say my car was running ... and no, the remotes were all hanging on key hooks) to electrical fires, to alarm systems activated out of nowhere.
After spending half my life running from Subaru dealer and local system retailer, each blaming one another, I finally disconnected it when, according to the latter the "computer" needed replacement ( warranty expired ... cost 160$+).
I just had the Subaru remote starter installed last week on my '07 Outback ( 449$ + 101.50$ installation + tax); yes, you might say expensive and I could've installed it myself but this is like car insurance, you will probably never need the protection but the peace of mind is well worth the expense.
At the very least, it would be a one stop visit should it malfunction.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moman1 View Post
I've seen too many shoddy after-market remote starters/alarm systems installations: from cars starting for no reason ( which I personally experienced on my '01 Legacy when my neighbor called me to say my car was running ... and no, the remotes were all hanging on key hooks) to electrical fires, to alarm systems activated out of nowhere.
After spending half my life running from Subaru dealer and local system retailer, each blaming one another, I finally disconnected it when, according to the latter the "computer" needed replacement ( warranty expired ... cost 160$+).
I just had the Subaru remote starter installed last week on my '07 Outback ( 449$ + 101.50$ installation + tax); yes, you might say expensive and I could've installed it myself but this is like car insurance, you will probably never need the protection but the peace of mind is well worth the expense.
At the very least, it would be a one stop visit should it malfunction.
Had my '12 Impreza Sport windows tinted yesterday. Another customer walked in complaining that the remote start on his GMC P/U was again not working. Long story short, this was his third visit for the non-functioning unit. Each time they had to take the dash apart to look at the problem. Overall he stated that his total cost was now more than 3 times what it would have been had the dealer installed the unit - not counting his time. The only complaint I really have with the current Subaru remotes for the Legacy/Outback/Impreza is that once the car is remotely started it shuts off when any door (or hood) has been opened. Other Subaru remotes didn't do this (older models). It is something that I can live with.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: