2012 Nav System stinks - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Legacy Limited CVT Car: 2011 Outback Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Mazda MX5 GT 6MT Bike: 2003 Honda GL1800ABS ** Reunite Gondwanaland! **
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
There is nothing that I hate more than laws to protect people
without common sense, cell phone laws fall into this category.
Hmm, could it be that those laws weren't enacted to protect the
distracted idiot -- but rather, the drivers in the oncoming lane?

...morons spoil the fun for everyone,

Looby
2003 Honda Goldwing ... 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 . 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...... 6'3" H2
Looby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #22 (permalink)

For me, it's know your own limitations, I don't need the government to tell me that I can't shave, read the paper, text and drive without my seat belt simultaneously.
ponjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: White 2011 Outback 3.6 R Limited

Quote:
For me, it's know your own limitations, I don't need the government to tell me that I can't shave, read the paper, text and drive without my seat belt simultaneously.
Don't forget that in a "liberal" society, mediocrity and stupidity are rewarded whereas hard work and common sense are punished....

It's amazing that even the passenger isn't allowed to "play" with the system. Surely if there is an airbag sensor in the front seat, the engineers could link that to the Nav system and make it operational when you have a passenger??
Oh sorry, too much common sense.....
Meanwhile for some reason, (could it be the bribers, oops lobbyists ) legislators have a hard time banning the senseless yakking/texting on cellphones in cars.

Mods; King springs, hood deflector, window vents, 2" Hidden Hitch, transmission oil cooler, seat-covers, Tanabe strut bar, 19 MM RSB, Primitive skid plates, K&N air filter, tinted windows, blacked out foglight surrounds, Wheel arch moldings.
OutbackUFO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Legacy Limited CVT Car: 2011 Outback Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Mazda MX5 GT 6MT Bike: 2003 Honda GL1800ABS ** Reunite Gondwanaland! **

Quote:

For me, it's know your own limitations, I don't need the government
to tell me that I can't shave, read the paper, text and drive ....
It's not about you, it's about the responsible citizens. We need our
government to keep shaving, texting, paper-reading, self-absorbed
morons off of our roads. OTOH, regarding belts, do as you like...

...the government shouldn't intefere with natural selection,

Looby
2003 Honda Goldwing ... 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 . 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...... 6'3" H2
Looby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car: Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
Angry

Speaking of sucky nav systems... I live in a rural area. The nav system won't go to an address on any of the many gravel roads in Montana because they aren't on their outdated road list. Worse, the coordinate system is in degrees, minutes and seconds. Can't they offer decimal degrees so I can enter fishing access sites in latitude, longitude? I still stick my Garmin Nuvi on the windshield 'cause it WORKS!.
lostinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car: Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Speaking of sucky nav systems... I live in a rural area. The nav system won't go to an address on any of the many gravel roads in Montana because they aren't on their outdated road list. Worse, the coordinate system is in degrees, minutes and seconds. Can't they offer decimal degrees so I can enter fishing access sites in latitude, longitude? I still stick my Garmin Nuvi on the windshield 'cause it WORKS!.
lostinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Dzd

The 12 OB we tested with NAV had the same exact NAV as the WRX I had from 2008! What? Seriously you haven't changed a thing in four years! Even ford has sync! Which still sucks compared to pioneer/alpine/clarion ect.

Bottom line DON'T get factory NAV get aftermarket for half the price. Unless your spending 50k on a BMW or Audi they are finally starting to get a clue!
Dzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Question: Does the lockout only prevent changing destination and other adjustments?

So far my major complaint is that there is no warning when you leave a NAV route and it does not re route in a few seconds. Even my oldest Garmin doe that and the poice never gets mad at me.
pilot4906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback and '13 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzd View Post
The 12 OB we tested with NAV had the same exact NAV as the WRX I had from 2008! What? Seriously you haven't changed a thing in four years! Even ford has sync! Which still sucks compared to pioneer/alpine/clarion ect.

Bottom line DON'T get factory NAV get aftermarket for half the price. Unless your spending 50k on a BMW or Audi they are finally starting to get a clue!
The 2013 Outback looks to have the newer nav system from the current Impreza.
iainb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbotta View Post
The Nav system is dismally out-of-date by at least two years. ?
Two years!? More like fourteen years. I have said this several times over on this board but my 2001 Pathfinder OEM navigation system was accurate, intuitive and had more features than this one. I have had MANY other vehicles since and this oem system is just horrendous compared to Audi, Acura, BMW, Mercedes Infiniti and even Volkswagen. The Mercedes and the VW navigation does have poor graphics (looks like Nintendo NES graphics; as if I am playing legend or zelda instead of driving a car.) but at least it is functional. Yes, one may argue that you are comparing the technology of higher end vehicles to a Subaru but even if the system was some what relevant or even up to date with other marques in it's class it would make it that much better or **** if it wouldnt 'babysit' you for every feature or function and make it inoperable until you stop.

Long story short, I live in one of the most largest cities in America and majority of the addresses/locations are nowhere to be found or it tells me roads do not exist or I have to put in a fake address in order for it to take me to my location. (example: say 100 main street is the known address it will tell me that it does not exist and I would have to enter 177 main street.) The only way it works well is if you enter intersections instead of actual addresses.

Landmarks, tourist traps, etc. are nowhere to be found. This past weekend I used it to take us to well known landmark that has been open to the public since 1904 and it took us 27 miles out of the way into the middle of nowhere meanwhile it had it as a 'local point of interest' in the wrong area. The iphone had it right and google maps meanwhile this navigation was taking us 27 miles away from the actual location.
IC0N0CLAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: