Subaru Outback Forums banner

can you get rid of the roof rack

53K views 61 replies 27 participants last post by  paul_3711 
#1 ·
I don't like the look of the roof rack on my ob. I would like to get rid of it. Can it be unbolted without leaving holes in the roof? if not what about adding the much smaller European roof rack instead.

#2 ·
It will leave holes if you remove it.

#6 ·
Vr4 that mod in that link is actually nearly identical down to the parts provider to the Euro rack. Also is far from cheap the flat track and gear + install is going to cost you some $$$ - I would do this personally if I used my rack on a daily or every weekend basis. The flat track options are FAR superior to anything that comes as auto maker pre installed rack.

That gap ie channel can have a filler put in to match the section forward. Also pretty sure the flat track option could actually be installed via the original rack mounting system with some added bolts for the added length etc. However not cheap!

#7 ·
Subaru designed the factory rack to give the OB a simulated "raised stance" that is so trendy with today's cross-over SUV shoppers. Without a rack the OB could be mistaken and stigmatized as a mere station wagon.

#10 ·
I've been interested in removing the stock rack for a while now. It is a great idea but it just doesn't work some active folks.

The rack-attack mod posted in the link isn't the same as the euro-spec outback. The euro version tracks sit in the grooves on the roof. The rack-attack version places the aftermarket tracks inboard of the grooves. The grooves are where the holes are. The last I check (it's been a while) there has been no success sourcing the euro tracks for the groove.

If anyone can source the euro tracks I would make the swap in a heartbeat.

#11 ·
I pulled my headliner off and removed the factory racks, it leaves 8 holes on each side in a rain gutter. The euro rack looks like it is an exact match and should install using the same factory holes. If anyone could find a way to buy the euro racks it would be a great upgrade. It wasn't too hard to remove and replace the headliner following the step-by-step instructions. Anyone have a hookup in Europe for factory parts?

#14 ·
Rapid fire....

Found a post on the Sunaru Forester forum about Gary at the former Cheam Motors:

If you still need an excellent parts service then Gary from Cheam is over at Proven Subaru:

Proven Motor Company, 9 West Street, Haslemere, Surrey. GU27 2AB Tel: Sales: 01428 652554 .....Service: 01428 647095
Parts: 01428 647096 Fax: 01428 658926 Welcome to Proven Motor Co Ltd
Anyone ever do business with him? May be a source for the rack rails.

#15 ·
I would imagine the Outback is similar to my WRX wagon, which I removed the rails on.

- Remove headliner, mirror, lights, upper seat belt mounts, upper side trim, etc.
- Remove rails by removing nuts un underside of the roof
- Clean the holes thoroughly
- Fill holes with rubber expansion plugs with bolts through them
- Use seller around the plugs.
- Test with strong spray from the hose. Then test again. You don't want to have to take the headliner out again when it starts leaking.
- Fill slots in roof with fillers from non-rack model. (with the WRX, this was the Canadian model, which did not come with roof rails.
- Enjoy the sleek look

I used the instructions from ScoobyMods.com, but that was WRX specific. You could probably figure it out from them.

#17 ·
Not that I have a Gen4, since I don't- but I was wondering the same thing about the aesthetics and function of the new rack when looking for a new car.

If you want the sleek wagon look, one other option is to take it off, plug the holes and go bare. when you need rack carrying you can go with traditional roof rack towers and clips that grab the door opening...
Here's a link to some guy's photo album of his conversion-till no cover for the rain gutter:(
2010 Subaru Outback Rack Solution | Facebook

And more conversation from the web if you haven't yet seen this- scroll down and check the comments in the forum for more input:
2010 Subaru Outback Roof Rails… Should I Say Roof Rack FAIL? - GEAR.com

Hope that helps.

#20 ·
Rocket are the factory holes just tabbed fittings in the embeded roof rails? Or are they fitting holes that go all the way through the roof? The reason I ask is that its been pretty standard for some time now that auto builders have external tabs located in the recessed rails in the roof line which do not pass through the actual roof. As for plugging or fitting into the recessed groove in the roof I'm not sure why that would be needed? Given that recessed groove has just a cheap filler hard plastic snap in that is put into it when there are no roof rack accessories installed.

VW has done this for years as for a few other auto makers. I would find it odd that Subaru would have holes passing all the way through the roof line in a recessed groove vs just tabbed fittings which are screwed into located in the recessed groove in the roof line. Which case any roof rack system or flat track will simply lay over the recessed groove with the bolts tied to the tabs ie hard points built into the recessed groove in the roof by the auto maker.

Now if you want a more raised rail than the flat track for looks then that would be your argument but the flat track and both the US and UK racks all would mount to the car in the same manner using the factory supplied mounts in the roof line.

The flat track systems enable you to design virtually any type of rack system you want the type of foot and length of the cross bar even multiple feet and cross bars if you had a special need for it. I'm not sure what the Euro factory supplied flatter rack rails with feet that lock into them offer thats any different than your standard flat track Yakima or Thule systems other than a slightly different look.

#22 ·
The factory holes go all the way through the roof. If you remove your headliner you will see the bolts poking through with regular nuts on them.
This leaves 16 holes to plug. The Euro rails would use the same holes and plug them.

The Euro rails are rails and are completely different than the Yakima flat tracks.

When you remove the factory rack the roof of the Outback is not flat. There is a small rain gutter. You can see the profile when you look at the rack/roof from the rear of the car. The narrow rain gutter is where the factory holes are. The Thule and Yakima tracks are too wide to fit inside the rain gutter so you can not use the aftermarket tracks to cover the factory holes.

#21 ·
^^ I don't know how Subaru does it now with the current Outback, but on the 2002 Impreza wagon, there were holes completely through the roof, and plugging was required. I did it on mine and used the Canada filler strip over top of the plugs.

#23 ·
Here is a photo of the roof with the factory rack removed. It shows the narrow rain gutter which causes the mounting problem.

The roof is not flat, there is a rain gutter running the length of the roof. Inside the rain gutter is where the 16 holes (8 per side) are that go all the way through the roof.

The rain gutter is too narrow to fit the Yakima or Thule tracks inside. You would have to plug the 16 holes in the rain gutter and mount the track on the flat part of the roof, which means drilling an additional 10-12 holes in your roof.

The Euro rails would fit in/over the rain gutter and use the same factory 16 holes, which would cover and plug the holes in one step.

Also the Euro rails stick up a little and have a track running down the inside. The mounts for the Euro rails attach to the side and grab on in a different way than the Thule and Yakima flat tracks. From taking the factory rack off and seeing how it attaches, the Euro rails would be much more secure than using Thule or Yakima flat tracks, since the factory holes are placed where there are metal supports on the inside of the car.

If you drilled holes into your roof to install the Thule and Yakima flat tracks you would be attaching to the thin "sheet metal" roof, which is pretty flimsy. Definately a much weaker connection that using the factory holes that have extra support on the inside.

After removing my factory USA rack and looking at the rain gutter, I decided not to plug the 16 holes and drill another 12 holes for the Yakima tracks. The best solution would be to find the Euro rails and install them which would plug the factory holes and be much more secure.

Attachments

#25 ·
Which case subaru is simply relying on a sealer to keep the roof sealed. The rack rail sitting in the groove or not plays not part in either sealing the bolts holes or any sort of added strength to the rack system. So I'm not sure what your issue is regarding the standard flat track systems which again are far superior to anything thats being sourced for as low a price point as possible to serve as a factory rack?

If we use our rack more and more on our car I'm for sure simply getting Yakima flat track and installing it to the existing stock mounting points given they are hard points in the actual roof structure not basic threaded fittings in the thin body skin in the roof.

There are more than enough bolts and strength to hold flat track in place! I race sailboats and have track systems for highly loaded sail rigging which have fewer bolts than these roof rails and your not going to be hauling more than 150-200lbs up there anyway.

So I'm still not sure why anyone would go through the trouble of sourcing a Euro rack rail when there are far superior options that look like it would be a direct bolt on with that set up?

#26 ·
I know a few people that have had their racks replaced at Rack N Road. I'm not sure why in that link they didn't cover the rain slot in the roof, but I know on my buddies car, it was placed over the old slot, and trim was placed in the rest of the track that the new rack didn't cover. It looked extremely clean and well done.

This is the phone number off their website if y'all are interested in calling and talking to someone about it: 800-722-5872

The work was done at the Sacramento store on my the car I saw.

#29 ·
Hey Rocketegg,
In that pic of the roof, are there some dents to the right of the track? A little above the light reflection?

Were those from the original rack or a result of something you put up there?

If anyone finds a way to get the Euro rails I'll be in for a set.
Thanks,
davidk

#32 ·
I've got a little info from a dealer over in the UK.

The shorter Outback rails would be about $578us per side +tax and shipping.

Their Legacy Wagon has a simple trim piece to cover the slot.
Does anyone know if the Legacy and Outback have the same roof?
The simple trim for the Legacy Wagon is about $127us per side + tax and shipping.

For me the simple trim cover would work. I don't plan to put anything up there anyway.
The other option at over $1200 would probably be too expensive for everyone just for lower roof rails.

If anyone wants to go together to get stuff we might be able to save shipping costs if we send to one address. Don't know about that though.

I'll need to think about spending $250 +tax and shipping. It would be nice, but do I really want to do this.

Thanks,
davidk

#33 ·
Can you ask for part numbers for Legacy rails. If the P/N of the Legacy rails is the same, then I would say the filler strip should work. The way Subaru is so cost effective with parts, I would bet the roof racks are the same, even if the roof is slightly different.

#34 ·
FYI, my 2¢....
The very reason I did not buy a '10 in late '09! I then saw the writing on the wall: engineers realize the issues and came out with the cargo basket rebate. I suggest, as I did, to communicate directly with rackattack people; they have/had a blog with photos of their work.
However, if one really wants different than original, do CALL them. They really want to discuss one's needs.

Another option: Go to Europe, arrange to buy the OB there, use it while traveling as your method of transportation, and have it shipped back!
You MUST specify USA specs; I do know that differences include safety such as glass, headlights, emissions and such. Otherwise you will not be able to register or get safety inspections. Do the homework just as we might do if ordering a VW, Volvo, BMW, Porsche or whatever for European delivery. If one plans to travel around, it can be a very efficient alternative to public transportation, and great experiences driving European roads. You gain so much freedom to stop anywhere to find a small inn or guest house! Many of those have links on their sites for "European Delivery" options. Unfortunately Subaru does not, but maybe an email to SoA customer service will give options.

#35 ·
Reviving this thread, as I'm close to pulling the trigger on removing my factory rails and installing Yakima flat track. I need a longer spread than I can get with Landing Pad13 for my kayaks.

I'm thinking of pulling the headliner, removing the stock racks, and installing trim covers from the Legacy below Yakima flat tracks, but use the same holes as the factory rack to secure the Yakima tracks to the roof. The rain gutter below the factory racks is 1 in wide, but Yakima tracks are 1.75 in wide, so something needs to fill that space. Could use self leveling compound instead of Legacy trim, but that's more complicated.

Anyone else done this? Think the Legacy trim under the Yakima tracks will provide the needs fill and support?

#36 ·
Last month, I spent a bit of time researching this. The hardest part is finding something to fill the gap. Legacy probably won't work, it's harder plastic and I don't think it's very flexible. I kind of came to the conclusion that the head ache isn't worth it, and I'm waiting for the money to be able to order the JDM rails.

#37 ·
I guess I can see how the Legacy rain gap covers might not be solid or flexible enough to support a set of tracks. I wonder if some high density polyethylene might be better. I imagine a local plastics former could cut something that would fit flush and support Yakima Track, and it would probably cost $50. Not JDM rails, but cheaper and might work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.