headlight bulb replacement 2010 outback? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default headlight bulb replacement 2010 outback?

I have looked all through the forums does anyone know of a diy on headlight bulb replacement on the fourth generation outback?
fredjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/CVT

There are, I believe, a couple of threads on this topic, though I can't find them either. There are two ways to replace the bulbs.

1). Remove the fender liners from under the fender wells and go in from behind and underneath the headlamp assemblies.

2). Remove the front bumper assembly and then each headlamp assembly.

Either one of these methods is somewhat time consuming and involves removing several plastic clips and/or screws. After the bulbs are replaced, one merely reverses the disassembly process. Hope this helps at least a little....
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

...This may be of some help...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSA5T1006A297867.pdf (202.5 KB, 4005 views)
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks. I'm sure there is a thread on the somewhere I just have not located it yet.
fredjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '12 6MT Premium OB, AWP, Moonroof

The Subaru instructions make it seem so quick and painless. Prepare yourself, it's not an easy swap for low-beams. Tight, dark, and tough angles to negotiate. You may want your local Subaru dealer to change them if you happen to bring the car in for service.
nlui220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlui220 View Post
The Subaru instructions make it seem so quick and painless. Prepare yourself, it's not an easy swap for low-beams. Tight, dark, and tough angles to negotiate. You may want your local Subaru dealer to change them if you happen to bring the car in for service.
...It is a royal PIA! The passengers side isn't too bad but the drivers side is nuts. You really do have to remove the wheel and the fender liner to get at it properly.

Quick and simple it isn't. Poor disign IMHO...but more $$$ for the dealership if you get them to do it.
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
There are, I believe, a couple of threads on this topic, though I can't find them either. There are two ways to replace the bulbs.

1). Remove the fender liners from under the fender wells and go in from behind and underneath the headlamp assemblies.

2). Remove the front bumper assembly and then each headlamp assembly.

Either one of these methods is somewhat time consuming and involves removing several plastic clips and/or screws. After the bulbs are replaced, one merely reverses the disassembly process. Hope this helps at least a little....
i struggled with the manual recommended wheel well method for maybe 30 minutes and then failed.

taking the bumper off took 15 min (first time) and probably 10 minutes or less after you've done it once. plastic push clips hold both the fender and the wheel well lining on. So you have to go through the same steps, they're just located in different areas.

I have no idea how people are managing to disconnect and reconnect the plastic connectors in that confined space. also trying to orient and lock the bulb in by feel. nutso.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '10 2.5i 6MT

Same experience here ... taking the whole front clip off is significantly easier and takes less time ... it just looks ridiculous with the front clip and headlight out to only change 1 bulb
jeffsu350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

What? No way? You mean this schematic won't help me with a bulb change?

'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow.. seriously?

I just stick my hand behind that little opening slightly above the light bulb housing, reach in and pull out the bulb (once loose from it's clip and plug). The hard part is getting that **** bulb cover back on! lol

I hate doing those bulbs.
ScoobyDoo! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: