Still getting bad mileage on my '12 2.5i Premium - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i Premium AWP Moonroof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still getting bad mileage on my '12 2.5i Premium

So I have about 1,200 miles on the car, posted a little while ago about my disappointing gas mileage, others suggested that I needed to break in the motor a while longer, others suggested switching to 87 octane instead of 89 (i used 89 octane in my '06 Forester 2.5X for 6 years before trading it in and would get 24-26mpg and drive it like it was stolen.) I also changed my driving style to be more conscious of my right foot on the gas pedal.

I let the low fuel light come on, filled it up with 87 octane, and believe it or not, regardless of how I drive, I am still getting 21.7-22 mpg from the onboard mileage calculator, and verified by hand calculating. I know others will say give it more time to break in, but I have read about others getting much better mileage from day 1.

FWIW, I drive about a 60/40 split between freeway and around town, commuting 35 miles each way to work three days a week, the other days driving to the gym, surfing, running errands, etc. I usually drive 70-75 on the freeway. I am starting to think the 3.6i would be a better option if I am going to continue to get such crap mileage. The engine wouldn't be working as hard and may be more efficient for my driving style perhaps? It sucks because aside from the mileage, I am happy with the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited, K&N Air Filter, Crystal Black Silica exterior, Notto SE HID Kit, 2 10" Alpine Subs w/Amp, interior LED's, Visor & Windows Tinted, LED Fog/Reverse/Projector Front Position Lights, Lamin-X tail light covers
Patience, grasshopper
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
So I have about 1,200 miles on the car, posted a little while ago about my disappointing gas mileage, others suggested that I needed to break in the motor a while longer, others suggested switching to 87 octane instead of 89 (i used 89 octane in my '06 Forester 2.5X for 6 years before trading it in and would get 24-26mpg and drive it like it was stolen.) I also changed my driving style to be more conscious of my right foot on the gas pedal.

I let the low fuel light come on, filled it up with 87 octane, and believe it or not, regardless of how I drive, I am still getting 21.7-22 mpg from the onboard mileage calculator, and verified by hand calculating. I know others will say give it more time to break in, but I have read about others getting much better mileage from day 1.

FWIW, I drive about a 60/40 split between freeway and around town, commuting 35 miles each way to work three days a week, the other days driving to the gym, surfing, running errands, etc. I usually drive 70-75 on the freeway. I am starting to think the 3.6i would be a better option if I am going to continue to get such crap mileage. The engine wouldn't be working as hard and may be more efficient for my driving style perhaps? It sucks because aside from the mileage, I am happy with the car.
This cannot be overstressed; some people have certain driving styles which are more suited to loads of low-end torque- if you're constantly revving the 2.5i, you'll never get great mileage. FWIW, I average 26-28MPG and I do roughly 80%hwy/20% city driving at 70-75mph. If I keep speeds to about 60mph or so, 30+ is EASILY achievable for me, but again, that's with mostly highway.

Gas mileage is made up of so many variables that it's hard to give you any solid, sure answer. Tire pressure, driving style, traffic, amount of stops in your commute, idling, load, winds, hills, the list goes on. If you feel there truly is an issue, take it to the dealer for diagnosis as they can do more than we can on an internet forum
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i base+AWP 6-MT 35k mi.
We drive the same as you, and can't get below 25, 30 freeway. 4000 miles, been doing this since new.

We almost never floor it, shift around 3000 unless on a hill or on ramp.

I did set the rings properly @ 30 miles on the ODO, can't think of anything else (8 WOT runs from 2500 to 4000 RPM's in 1st through 5th gear, engine warm).

car history: 1969 toyota corona 1970 honda 600 car 1978 dodge p/u slant-6 1978 saab 99 EMS 1967 & 1968 volvo 122 1976 bmw 2002 1968 & 1967 plymouth valiant slant-6 1995 vw golf 1997 honda odyssey 1998 mazda p/u 2005 subaru outback 2003 dodge diesel p/u 4x4 2000 vw golf TDI
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Dzd

How much corn are they putting in gas down in Cali these days? May be a factor.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
I got 28.8 for my first tankful (Verified). I only have 800 miles so far, second tank is around 28 even (Gauge).......I am gradually driving a bit harder to make sure the rings are in.

I would not sweat it until after the first oil change. But, whatever you do, if you have the warm-it-up habit, stop doing that. Not good for break-in, and very bad for gas mileage.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM

I'm in California we have a 2010 Legacy 2.5 CVT and a 2010 OB CVT. Both were returning about 21-22mpg till we hit about 10,000 miles on the clock.

Idling in stopped traffic or sitting in say a parking lot with kids in the car waiting for mom will wipe out your average mileage in just 15-30 minutes.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldog View Post
I got 28.8 for my first tankful (Verified). I only have 800 miles so far, second tank is around 28 even (Gauge).......I am gradually driving a bit harder to make sure the rings are in.

I would not sweat it until after the first oil change. But, whatever you do, if you have the warm-it-up habit, stop doing that. Not good for break-in, and very bad for gas mileage.
I get in, start it up, and go. My car is a CVT and is PZEV. I just don't get it if the CVT is supposed to be more fuel efficient and what not, and I drove my Forester much harder than this car and still got better mileage.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
I get in, start it up, and go. My car is a CVT and is PZEV. I just don't get it if the CVT is supposed to be more fuel efficient and what not, and I drove my Forester much harder than this car and still got better mileage.
Watch the tach, don't let it go above 3k and see what happens.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
Watch the tach, don't let it go above 3k and see what happens.
you really have to drive this car like a slug fi you don't want the tach to go over 3k. With my Forester I rarely let the tach go over 4k, same with the new OB, but 3k is just not enough when you are merging onto a freeway on a short onramp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: