1st drive + Oil filter on top! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1st drive + Oil filter on top!

Today I test drove two Subarus for the first time ever. Forester and Outback. The first thing I noticed was the oil filter is on top of the 2.5! That is awesome! Unbelievable! Someone finally did it! Unless it has a check valve in it and stays full of oil and spills all over the place when you remove it. Does it?

I dismissed the Forester due to its harsh ride. I want a smooth ride. The OB's ride is much better and the visibility is great and you get that filter on top! The OB's driving position is a little lower though, I do prefer being up higher.

I just read the press release regarding the 2013 so I may wait and get one since they say it has a smoother ride. Right now it's just $2k off sticker for a 2012 - not bad nor really great. I suspect the 2013 will be close to the same discount (but may cost more).
Superdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
Today I test drove two Subarus for the first time ever. Forester and Outback. The first thing I noticed was the oil filter is on top of the 2.5! That is awesome! Unbelievable! Someone finally did it! Unless it has a check valve in it and stays full of oil and spills all over the place when you remove it. Does it?

I dismissed the Forester due to its harsh ride. I want a smooth ride. The OB's ride is much better and the visibility is great and you get that filter on top! The OB's driving position is a little lower though, I do prefer being up higher.

I just read the press release regarding the 2013 so I may wait and get one since they say it has a smoother ride. Right now it's just $2k off sticker for a 2012 - not bad nor really great. I suspect the 2013 will be close to the same discount (but may cost more).
The oil filter on the 2010 through the 2012 outback is located under the car right in the Y of the exhaust pipes. The 2013 outback gets the new engine with the oil filter on top.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
The oil filter on the 2010 through the 2012 outback is located under the car right in the Y of the exhaust pipes. The 2013 outback gets the new engine with the oil filter on top.
Yep and I still have a burn mark on my right hand from my first oil change. I let it cool off now If the oil filter matters to you, and it should if you change it yourself, wait for the 13.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmmm. That's kind of sad. Now that I think of it the hood that was open was the Forester. I asked the salesman if the OB had the same engine and he said it did. Guess what? He's going to be opening the hood when I go back. And if the 2013 does get the filter on top I'm definitely waiting. Thanks for the info.
Superdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rofl, and that's why you never trust the salesman....
JazzJackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
Yep and I still have a burn mark on my right hand from my first oil change. I let it cool off now If the oil filter matters to you, and it should if you change it yourself, wait for the 13.
Same here you only do that once. HA HA
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback 3.6R SAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Only the 2.5i. The 3.6R stays the same w/ oil filter on the bottom.
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited, Ford Flex, Porsche 911SC, Volvo V40, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), VW GTI
Nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oil filter on top is good. I have two more things on my oil change wish list...The first is cartridge oil filters (if they're on top, much less messy than spin on). The other thing I'd like is for the dipstick tube to point to the deepest point of the sump, so that oil can be changed with a suction tank. This is the way Mercedes are set up, and you can change the oil in fifteen minutes without getting under the car, messing up your clothes, or having to deal with a messy pan.
mxfrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Limited CVT PZEV

The wife's old celica had the oil filter on top. Huge pain in the ass. The second you unscrewed it - oil leaked all over the place. Also remember you can't pre-fill the new filter and then put it on upside down.
12 Outback 2.5 limited PZEV CVT 235/55/17 Pilot Sport A/S+, STI RSB, Torklift Stealth 2"
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
immortal_suby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback 3.6R SAP

So if it's on top of the engine would it drain back with the engine oil during an oil change? What I mean is would it spin off with little or no oil coming out b/c of gravity?? I would think there is a check valve but just a thought....
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited, Ford Flex, Porsche 911SC, Volvo V40, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), VW GTI
Nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: