4 cyl vs 6 cyl - Page 21 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #201 (permalink)
Registered User
 
iainb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gainesville, VA
Car: '15 STi and '13 GTI
Posts: 1,007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primotenente View Post
The same is it only looking at the price tag....
Price tag determines a vehicle's competitors. People cross-shop vehicles based on their price range- not the fact they have longitudial engines.

If a buyer's budget is $30k why would they go look at BMWs?

By your argument the Camry is a competitor to the 5-series because they both offer a V6 in a midsize sedan. Give me a break.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Primotenente View Post
No, I am not.
- I told that the Subaru engines are thirsty and do not perform well in low rpms
Funny since my 2.5i Outback indicates ~31mpg on a flat highway at 65mph while at only 1800rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primotenente View Post
And now? Those cars are to expensive, use to wrong fuel, you don't like the cars they are built in, you debate about price tags etc.
Because all of those factors mean they are not competitive to the Outback.
iainb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #202 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Darkanion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Texas
Car: 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
Posts: 1,098
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHRSI View Post
You guys all crack me up.

I have a 3.6- my wife drives a 2.5- both are 2011 Limited models. Both are adequate for all types of driving- whether in flatlands or in the mountains. The MPG spread is generally between 2 and 4 MPGs depending on the type of driving. I personally do not like driving her car (first because it is still stock and doesn't have the suspension mods that I have become accustomed to on my car and so still handles like a bathtub) because its noisier and the engine seems to vibrate a bit more. This is probably because the engine has to work harder to make power. I also beleive some of the difference in handling is due to the difference in the AWD system- which I think has more FWD bias in the 2.5 models. FWIW, my opinion is that either engine is excellent and will take you wherever you need to go in most any conditions, so what it comes down to is are you willing to pay a bit more for gas for the additional power and zip (the difference is substantial and in my opinion) that comes with the 3.6. For me- its a no brainer, and for my wife- she couldn't care less.

And yes, this is my opinion and its unscientific and unreasearched, and simply based on my impressions after driving thousands of miles in each car... so take it for what its worth... (nothing because you should make up your own mind ;-) )
That's not allowed in this thread! You must have "PROOF"!!


__________________
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R :
Darkanion is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #203 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Car: 2011 Outback Premium 6MT
Posts: 546
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainb View Post
Price tag determines a vehicle's competitors. People cross-shop vehicles based on their price range- not the fact they have longitudial engines.

If a buyer's budget is $30k why would they go look at BMWs?

By your argument the Camry is a competitor to the 5-series because they both offer a V6 in a midsize sedan. Give me a break.




Funny since my 2.5i Outback indicates ~31mpg on a flat highway at 75mph while at only 1200rpm.



Because all of those factors mean they are not competitive to the Outback.
1200 RPM @ 75 MPH - really?
RobMunach is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #204 (permalink)
Registered User
 
iainb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gainesville, VA
Car: '15 STi and '13 GTI
Posts: 1,007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMunach View Post
1200 RPM @ 75 MPH - really?
Oops, totally mis-remembered. 1800rpm @ 65MPH.
iainb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #205 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mountains of NM
Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
Posts: 1,448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMunach View Post
1200 RPM @ 75 MPH - really?
Yeah, if he had the 5.0 H8......
4wheeldog is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #206 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Subyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 38N 121W -- Carmichael, CA
Car: 2011 Outback, 3.6R Premium
Posts: 599
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHRSI View Post
You guys all crack me up.

I have a 3.6- my wife drives a 2.5- both are 2011 Limited models. Both are adequate for all types of driving- whether in flatlands or in the mountains. The MPG spread is generally between 2 and 4 MPGs depending on the type of driving. I personally do not like driving her car (first because it is still stock and doesn't have the suspension mods that I have become accustomed to on my car and so still handles like a bathtub) because its noisier and the engine seems to vibrate a bit more. This is probably because the engine has to work harder to make power. I also beleive some of the difference in handling is due to the difference in the AWD system- which I think has more FWD bias in the 2.5 models. FWIW, my opinion is that either engine is excellent and will take you wherever you need to go in most any conditions, so what it comes down to is are you willing to pay a bit more for gas for the additional power and zip (the difference is substantial and in my opinion) that comes with the 3.6. For me- its a no brainer, and for my wife- she couldn't care less.

And yes, this is my opinion and its unscientific and unreasearched, and simply based on my impressions after driving thousands of miles in each car... so take it for what its worth... (nothing because you should make up your own mind ;-) )
Thank You and +1
__________________
Bill
2011 Outback 3.6R Premium, AWP, Moonroof, HK w/sat
"...I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Subyblue is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #207 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OutbackUFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida Keys
Car: White 2011 Outback 3.6 R Limited
Posts: 930
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subyblue View Post
Thank You and +1
+2 actually..
And putting my 3.6 to work...

__________________
www.backcountryfishingthekeys.com
https://www.facebook.com/BackcountryFishingTheKeys

Mods; King springs, hood deflector, window vents, 2" Hidden Hitch, transmission oil cooler, seat-covers, Tanabe strut bar, 19 MM RSB, Primitive skid plates, K&N air filter, tinted windows, blacked out foglight surrounds, Wheel arch moldings.
OutbackUFO is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #208 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 16,484
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob441 View Post
Both are WEAK. Getting a 3.6 for the small increase in "performance" while getting a large decrease in gas mileage didn't make sense to me. If I wanted the 3.6's gas mileage I woudl have gotten a real SUV.
Or sports sedan with some power and speed. No doubt I actually like the 3.6 engine but the 3.6 OB is really not that different from the 2.5 when it comes to performance. You will find that many of the 3.6 owners all think they need large engines and probably replaced a large displacement vehicle with the smaller lighter outback when they decided they didn't need a v8 etc. It's a slow shift in learning what they really need vs what they think they need. LOL Heck My Grandma thought all cars had to have V8's in them till just recently when she had to replace her ancient Buick. She went out and bought her self a 2.5L Altima and loves it.
subiesailor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #209 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Car: No Subaru at the moment.
Posts: 464
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Compared to our other 3 vehicles:

245+ HP 2003 Tundra TRD 4x4 4.7L V8 (13 / 14 / 16)
240HP 2003 Honda Accord EX-L 3.0L V6 (19 / 22 / 27)
190HP Chevy Astro Cargo RWD 4.3L V6 (15 / 17 / 21)

At ~6000' elevation, 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited seems very powerless. We've got ~23K miles on it now, and do like the MPG. We've take a couple 2500+ mile road-trips and it's been fine on the Interstate. Last trip, the display indicated up to 34mpg average on some sections. We manually calculated 26.8mpg overall.

We have also encountered the issue where it won't go uphill in reverse (sits at about 2K RPM and just groans). Hoping Subaru gets this resolved.

It's difficult to tell from a 5-minute test-drive with the salesguy, but I think we'd be happier with the 6-cyl.

We're probably going to trade / consolidate the 2011 Outback 2.5i and the 2003 Accord for a 2013 Outback 3.6R (18 / 20 / 25).
Michael Aos is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #210 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Latigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Missoula, MT
Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
Posts: 358
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Didn't we just have this discussion??


In the 5 days I've had my 2013, not one time have I thought, "Man, this thing needs more power." And my drive back to Missoula included Fourth of July Pass and Mullan Pass coming from Idaho into Montana. Furthermore, since I'm still not even halfway though the break-in period, I have yet to exceed 3500rpm. Driving around town I find that the CVT really gives this car great gearing. I out-accelerate traffic holding a steady 1500rpm. Just keeping pace with traffic the motor is down in the 1k range.
More incredible yet (to me, at least, coming from a long line of V8s) is that I have 300ish miles and am just a bit below half a tank. And this is just the break-in period! Can't wait to calculate my mpg when I fill up... next week
__________________
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited w/ Eyesight
Puddle lights. Wheel arch moldings.
Body side molding. Clear bra. Remote start.
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2009-2010 SubaruOutback.org. All Rights Reserved.