Oil Change schedule - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #21 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback and '13 GTI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm not sure on the validity of this, but if you switch to synthetic you are supposed to stay with it for the life of the vehicle.
iainb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainb View Post
I'm not sure on the validity of this, but if you switch to synthetic you are supposed to stay with it for the life of the vehicle.
I believe so. So, again, not sure why anyone would want to do that, esp. if you're still doing changes at 7500 miles interval. The maintenance cost adds up quickly!

My Subaru: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...i-limited.html

"Please don't let my IQ drop from reading your post like Osama's body after a double tap!"
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #23 (permalink)

Car: Outback 2.5 Ltd Azurite Blue

Subaru's website clearly states conventional oil(NON-SYNTHETIC) and every 7500 miles for 2011-2012 subaru 2.5 models.

However i did do 2 oil changes at 3.5 k intervals as i didn't read the manual or the mysubaru website.

I think i will stick with conventional oil & 7500 mile intervals

Thanks a lot for all of your responses.
serenemind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
I believe so. So, again, not sure why anyone would want to do that, esp. if you're still doing changes at 7500 miles interval. The maintenance cost adds up quickly!
I just did the math........Changing the oil and filter every 7500 miles for 100k miles, with synthetic and either OEM or Pure 1 filter, will cost me less than $400. I think I can swing that, over a 4 year period.

If, as I plan to do, I use a 5k interval, it will cost $540. Also within the budget.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 2.5i CVT

I had a similar experience on my first dealership visit (having bought my '11 OB used with 16k miles).

I inquired about the 15k mile service, which per the manual consists of changing oil and filter, changing engine air filter and cabin air filter, and a visual inspection of some parts and fluid levels, and tire rotation.

The dealer said I needed to spend about $559.00 I think it was to do all the above AND change the CVT fluid, change the transaxle fluids, I think they even had a radiator flush in there too. The service tech actually got upset with me when I stated that per my service manual these were NOT required for my service schedule.

Dealers will always push their "recommended" service schedules, which are usually oil changes every 3,000 miles, just like the quickie oil change places will do, etc. Just be careful and read your manual and make sure you follow the schedule according to your driving habits and you'll be ok.

If you change the oil yourself, or take it to a place besides a dealer, make sure you keep your receipt and document it in your service manual....just in case.

PS: I guess I upset this dealership when I challenged their "recommended" service schedule....when I asked the guy just how much to change the oil and rotate the tires they quoted me $99.00. Went to another Subaru dealer and got a $24.99 oil change and $29.99 tire rotation....which is still high IMO as the GMC place I used to take my truck to would do both for $34.99.....no wonder so many people dislike dealer service departments.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback and '13 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beornls View Post
I had a similar experience on my first dealership visit (having bought my '11 OB used with 16k miles).

I inquired about the 15k mile service, which per the manual consists of changing oil and filter, changing engine air filter and cabin air filter, and a visual inspection of some parts and fluid levels, and tire rotation.

The dealer said I needed to spend about $559.00 I think it was to do all the above AND change the CVT fluid, change the transaxle fluids, I think they even had a radiator flush in there too.
They wanted to change the CVT fluid at 15k miles???
iainb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldog View Post
I just did the math........Changing the oil and filter every 7500 miles for 100k miles, with synthetic and either OEM or Pure 1 filter, will cost me less than $400. I think I can swing that, over a 4 year period.

If, as I plan to do, I use a 5k interval, it will cost $540. Also within the budget.
All true. But, has the $400-540 dollars help your car anymore than my car? I think that we all can spend that over 4 years IF our car would benefit from doing so. I am still holding out on synthetics. I only use synthetics IF the manufacturer recommends it or my car came with it from factory. (My Prius uses synthetic.)

My Subaru: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...i-limited.html

"Please don't let my IQ drop from reading your post like Osama's body after a double tap!"
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenemind View Post
Subaru's website clearly states conventional oil(NON-SYNTHETIC) and every 7500 miles for 2011-2012 subaru 2.5 models.

However i did do 2 oil changes at 3.5 k intervals as i didn't read the manual or the mysubaru website.

I think i will stick with conventional oil & 7500 mile intervals

Thanks a lot for all of your responses.
Our 2011 Owner's manual recommends synthetic.
RobMunach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #29 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 2.5i CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainb View Post
They wanted to change the CVT fluid at 15k miles???
Yep...they sure did. I thought they were nuts to be honest... I don't even think a CVT fluid change is on the manual service schedule before 100k miles??

What makes me mad is this.... We are on this forum because we are car junkies to an extent, we love our cars and know what to do to take care of them. Think about the average soccer mom or something that walks into a dealership, unaware of what is going on? I wonder how many times a day people are paying for these unnecessary 'services' just so the dealer can turn a profit.

Case in point.... Granted this wasn't a dealership but a prime example of what can go wrong. Sometime last year we took my wifes Nissan Murano into a quickie oil change place, her Murano has the CVT transmission. Well, sure enough, here comes one of the oil change guys with some of the CVT transmission fluid smeared on a card next to some regular type III Mercon fluid. He pointed out how our fluid looks so 'dirty' and needed to be changed for XX dollars more. I shudder to think what would have happened if they put that Mercon in there, which is what WOULD have happened if my wife had been there by herself! Granted I don't know all the differences between the reg ATF fluid and the CVT fluid, but if that tranny had went out, I guarantee you Nissan wouldn't have honored the warranty on it because of the situation.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
All true. But, has the $400-540 dollars help your car anymore than my car? I think that we all can spend that over 4 years IF our car would benefit from doing so. I am still holding out on synthetics. I only use synthetics IF the manufacturer recommends it or my car came with it from factory. (My Prius uses synthetic.)
If you trade your cars in, then it may not be worth it. I keep mine forever, and put a ton of miles on them. (My 4runner has 235+k on it, and nothing leaks, has never used any measurable oil between changes......And no engine maintenance other than belts/plugs/plug wires and oil changes). If it started using oil, I might consider switching to dino.

The first car I used synthetics in was an '83 Honda Civic 1300FE. It got 48 mpg with synthetic, 46 with dino. (I tried to blind the experiment by having my wife use the car, while I was the one changing the oil). The math had me at least breaking even, with the fuel savings. Whether that is still true today, I can't tell you, because I am not going back to using dino to do the test again.

I really am a cheap bastid.......But a really cheap bastid knows that sometimes you need to spend a little to save a little more. Again, YMMV.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: