ecu reflash available - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 outback 2.5i limited cvt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default ecu reflash available

for all of those peeps that have a 2011 3.6 or 2.5 that has idle surge at slow speeds with the a/c on,there is a reflash available for the ecu to correct this condition. here are the details:

NUMBER: *11-102-11R*
DATE: 07/18/11
*REVISED: 08/11/11
REVISED: 10/07/11*
APPLICABILITY:
2010~2011MY Legacy and Outback
2010~2O11MY Forester
2010~2O11MY Impreza
*2010~2011MY Tribeca*
SUBJECT:
ECM Reprogramming Flies
INTRODUCTION
The purpose of this bulletin is to announce that ECM reprogramming files are now available to address the following depending upon vehicle specification.
^DTC P0128 when stored in memory with no drivability concern.

^DTC P050A when stored in memory with no drivability concern.

^Decrease in engine RPM during low vehicle speed with the AC on.

^RPM dropping below idle speed when the clutch pedal is depressed when the engine is warming up.

Updates are noted by asterisks and yellow shading

Jdog81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT Ruby Red Pearl ; 1986 XT 1.8L Turbo Coupe 4WD

Quote:
^DTC P0128 when stored in memory with no drivability concern.
^DTC P050A when stored in memory with no drivability concern.
^Decrease in engine RPM during low vehicle speed with the AC on.
I suppose I should dig out my code reader and see if either of those codes are pending. The faltering RPM has been an ongoing thing, but doesn't seem to harm anything.

Mine is a 2011B MT according to those charts. If I'm reading correctly, the only thing this flash does for my car is correct an emissions testing issue. Some have reported their gas mileage tanked after that update, so I'm a bit wary of it, especially considering there is no emissions testing here.

Andrew
akinneyww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB Prem 2.5 Green, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I was just about to post about a very minor idle surge on my 2012 OB 2.5. In the last few feet just before stopping, with my foot of the gas, I often get a very slight surge. It's not much, but it's enough to really bug me. Someday it may catch me off guard and cause me to bump the car in front of me. When I try to look at the tach while stopping, I do not see the needle jump when it surges. I was wondering if it had something to do with CVT shifting, cylinder deactivation, or the torque converter. I don't think this only happens with the AC on, but I'll check now that I've seen this post.

I haven't had it to the dealer yet, but I'm SURE they are going to blow it off as nothing or normal, like they did with the other mechanical issues on this car. (Harsh CVT shifting at low speed, soft brake pedal) This is my first Subaru, and if all of this really is "normal", it will be my LAST Subaru...
satellite65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

you dont have to have any codes stored for the reflash to be done. reflash fixes those codes and also fixes the surge. referance the tsb number to subaru if they are having a dumb moment.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite65 View Post
I was just about to post about a very minor idle surge on my 2012 OB 2.5. In the last few feet just before stopping, with my foot of the gas, I often get a very slight surge. It's not much, but it's enough to really bug me. Someday it may catch me off guard and cause me to bump the car in front of me. When I try to look at the tach while stopping, I do not see the needle jump when it surges. I was wondering if it had something to do with CVT shifting, cylinder deactivation, or the torque converter. I don't think this only happens with the AC on, but I'll check now that I've seen this post.

I haven't had it to the dealer yet, but I'm SURE they are going to blow it off as nothing or normal, like they did with the other mechanical issues on this car. (Harsh CVT shifting at low speed, soft brake pedal) This is my first Subaru, and if all of this really is "normal", it will be my LAST Subaru...
I am experiencing the same surge with my 2012 2.5 OB with the CVT. I just assumed it was the drive train going slack and the AWD gears reacting. You're not alone. First Subaru for me as well. So far I am in love with this thing though.
Cheebahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i base+AWP 6-MT 35k mi.

If the reflash updates you to the version I have (1/12 build date), then it won't fix anything, I still have an idle drop with the clutch pedal depressed. At the first oil change I asked about it, but got vague response (I'll check but I dont think theres an update for you....then nothing).
car history: 1969 toyota corona 1970 honda 600 car 1978 dodge p/u slant-6 1978 saab 99 EMS 1967 & 1968 volvo 122 1976 bmw 2002 1968 & 1967 plymouth valiant slant-6 1995 vw golf 1997 honda odyssey 1998 mazda p/u 2005 subaru outback 2003 dodge diesel p/u 4x4 2000 vw golf TDI
DieselOx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited

I had TSB 11-102-11R done on June 30/11. The RPM drops about 5 - 6 seconds after coming to a stop. Always worried that it will stall. I have a US Outback and live in Ontario and the dealer wants $110.00 to check if I need the update. Does the update fix the RPM drop? Thanks
Jim B
Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback Premium 6MT fully loaded

Just had this reflash done this morning on my 2011 6MT. I have been getting CELs with codes P0303/P0304 repeatedly on long highway trips and more recently around town. They clear themselves after a day or two but lately recur within a few days. They said the software update should fix this and possibly fix the occasional idle drop I also experience. Will keep you posted if this really fixes these issues.

BTW, they also agreed that the cruise disable and flashing lights with any CEL is annoying, but that is the way it is.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

had my update done the other day. fixed my issue with the rpm drop. it is for when your a/c is on and you are doing low speed turn using your power steering the engine would surge low and sound like it would stall. this problem has been fixed with the update.as far as rpms dropping when you come to a stop,this is normal. you want your rpms to come down unless you want to high idle and burn fuel for no reason.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback Premium 6MT fully loaded

So far no further CELs, but I have not done anything more than a 1.5 hour trip. I still get an occasional RPM drop at idle, and by that I mean a dip below the normal ~700rpm idle, it will drop for a second or two down to 500 or less, than recover. This happens both with and w/out AC. Never stalls but kind of disconcerting, never had a car in the past two decades with sporadic idle issues like this.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: