iPhone/bluetooth/USB issue... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i Premium AWP Moonroof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default iPhone/bluetooth/USB issue...

2012 OB Premium CVT...I set up the Bluetooth with my iPhone 4S so I can make and receive calls. It's also nice because I use an app called Waze with is a nice (and free) GPS app that so far works really well. It's also great to be able to listen to my iTunes as well.

So the problem is I use the USB connection for my music. WHen I get in the car it works since for maybe 30 seconds to a minute, then I hear nothing (this is with USB selected as the input source). then if I switch the input source on the console to BT-A (bluetooth) I can hear the music, but the controls on the console no longer work to navigate through my iTunes on the phone and I have to actually use the phone to navigate through iTunes. However, the next and previous button on the steering wheel still does work, but I have no way of chugging artist, playlist, etc. from the console if the music is being streamed through via bluetooth.

It seems like once the phone is sync'd via bluetooth it's sync'd for every operation (music, calls, GPS voice directions, etc.) and also inhibits the USB port because when the phone connects via bluetooth, it won't stream anything through the USB.

I know it sounds confusing, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? The only solution I have come up with is to just mount the iPhone on the dash somewhere with an aftermarket mount which makes it super easy to navigate through iTunes from the phone because it would be right in front of me.
sbpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Premium 6MT

I have had a similar problem with connecting my iPhone 4 over USB. Basically, if I start the car while the phone is connected via USB, it will play for a few seconds, and then I lose audio (although the head unit still shows the track as playing.) The only solution I have found is to unplug the USB cable from the phone, then plug it back in - that fixes it every time. (Or, more broadly speaking, start the car and let the stereo boot up fully before making the USB connection.)

Not sure if this is something that could be fixed by the dealer or if it's an inherent flaw in the head unit. Next time I'm at the dealership for something else I'll mention it to them.

So just being synced to Bluetooth doesn't necessarily invalidate the USB connection - I have been able to cycle through them and have them both work. I prefer USB since, as you have discovered, the Bluetooth connection doesn't allow you to navigate playlists from either the steering wheel or the head unit controls. I also think the USB connection sounds better - although with the factory system, it's a minimal difference. I expect that once I upgrade the stereo I'll hear more of a difference between USB and Bluetooth.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

What I resorted to was a vent-mounted holder for the phone, synch'd with bluetooth, and just use the phone's screen to change playlists, etc., and use the steering wheel controls to go forward and back with songs. seems fine, and the sound difference between the bluetooth signal and USB signal is negligible with the stock sound system.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
What I resorted to was a vent-mounted holder for the phone, synch'd with bluetooth, and just use the phone's screen to change playlists, etc., and use the steering wheel controls to go forward and back with songs. seems fine, and the sound difference between the bluetooth signal and USB signal is negligible with the stock sound system.
That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I have a LOT of music on my phone and using the console dials to look for what I want is actually not very fast... So I prefer the bluetooth streaming. My question would be, which vent-mount have you picked? Is it really sturdy? I just bought USA Gear Vent mount
Amazon Amazon

I received it today and just installed. Haven't driven with it yet but does not seem to hold to the vent very firmly...
FrenchKheldar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchKheldar View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I have a LOT of music on my phone and using the console dials to look for what I want is actually not very fast... So I prefer the bluetooth streaming. My question would be, which vent-mount have you picked? Is it really sturdy? I just bought USA Gear Vent mount Amazon.com: USA Gear Universal Car Air / AC Vent Mount XL with Adjustable Cradle for Samsung , HTC , Motorola , iPhone and More Smartphones: MP3 Players & Accessories

I received it today and just installed. Haven't driven with it yet but does not seem to hold to the vent very firmly...
I just have some piece of crap, cheap no-name mount i got off amazon a few months ago when i got the car and forgot i had it. had an android phone at the time and never ended up using it. Dug it out the other day and it seems to work pretty well, and depending if i continue to like it i will get something a little better. I have my iPhone 4s in a Lifeproof case, so I had to take the Dremel to the holder in order for it to fit properly.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium

The reason this happens is not the Head Unit, but the iPhone. The bluetooth syncs a few seconds after the USB connection is made, and on the iPhone, when it detects a new output mode, it auto-switches to the last one made. Like the previous posters said, the only real solution to this (other than disabling bluetooth all together) would be to plug in the USB after the bluetooth syncs.
aoteri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '15 STi and '13 GTI

You don't need to unplug/replug the phone into the USB.

Select your Music icon and the screen will show that it's connected. On the bottom of the screen is an arrow in a box. Press that and you will get a selector for "Car Multimedia" or "Dock Connector"

Car Multimedia = Bluetooth
Dock Connector = USB

After you switch it to Dock Connector you will have to just forward or back a track and music will resume.

As has been mentioned, it's a problem with the Bluetooth pairing after the USB is recognized and the BT takes over.

With the phone set to Dock Connector the BT phone functions still work, it's just using the USB port for music.
iainb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

+1 on the Lifeproof case. Money WELL spent!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R

When I paired my iPhone with the OB via Bluetooth, there was an option to pair only the phone and not the audio. This connection allows me to utilize all phone functions via the steering wheel voice command system. If I connect the iPhone via the USB port in the arm rest storage compartment, I have full music control function through the stereo system interface - playlists et al for iTunes library, and can also play any audio app - all with no BT interruption.
skeetjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: