Can a 2010+ Outback 2.5i tow a pop-up tent trailer? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Can a 2010+ Outback 2.5i tow a pop-up tent trailer?

I only ask as the wife & I are on the fence with buying a Pop-up tent type trailer in which we would like to pull with our Outback, or buy a full on 24'+ travel trailer in which we would pull with our truck. Option one is most ideal for us as we are "testing the waters" with outdoor camping and would like to go this route but would be just as well jumping to plan (B) if the Outback is not up to the task.

I only ask this because while searching the net for rental trailers, I found this photo clearly showing a 3rd gen Outback that has towed one to a camp site. Surely the bigger/ larger 4th gen should be able to do the same right?

'13 Ford F-150, FX4, Super Crew, EcoBoost
Pool Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT

What's the weight?
Primitive light bar and skid plates, Yakima Mega warrior, 18mm RSB , RA mud flaps, Front windows tinted 35% , Subaru bug shield/hood protector, SS damlifier pro , Full LED interior , Phillips HID low beams , Kenwood Exelon DNX-6960 Nav unit, Alpine Type R 17s in front and 17c in back , Kicker 360.4 WANTED: Full interior SS luxury liner pro, Amp and sub, Body side molding.
Rolling on Nokian WRG2XL
combatmedic870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Look in your owner's manual, it will give the towing parameters for your vehicle (tongue weight, max tow-able/stoppable weight) and then compare with the specs on the pop ups you're looking at.

Most push or exceed the OB's limits.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic870 View Post
What's the weight?
I really don't know what these things weight to be honest. A guy on my street tows one with a CR-V and says "You really can't feel it behind you" So I'm thinking the 170hp the 2.5 makes has got to be more than what a CR-V has, unless the limiting factor is the CVT?

'13 Ford F-150, FX4, Super Crew, EcoBoost
Pool Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i

I towed an Aliner hard side popup trailer with my. 2010 2.5 cvtc and it handled it fine. Moslt of the time you didn't feel it behind you. I also towed a small hard side camper and the extra height was definitely noticeable to the point that it felt underpowered much of the time. The increased wind resistance due to the height was very evident. I wouldn't hesitate to pull a popup as long as it didn't exceed the weight limits for towing. Trailer brakes may be needed!!!
HDNVALLEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Depends on what you pack with you and where you plan on going? We do hot 110 115 degree long sierra climbs to some of our favorite places to camp. We also like to bring boats and lots of kid crap. We have been towing stuff with the subaru 2.5 since 2001.
For zero concern go anywhere with good mileage the sweet spot is around 1500_1600lbs or less. Once you hit 1700_2000lbs your mileage drops into better tow vehicle range 16_19mpg ie take the truck.

We specifically picked the lifetime tent trailer for its 890lb empty weight and ability to haul lots of crap! Boats, bikes, wagons, atvs etc. We post 25_26mpg flat towing 65mph and under with our general camping crap on its deck.

Been using it for two years love it! The ob goes anywhere with it. Our truck only gets boat hauling duty on long hard hot climbs when we are we are over 1200_1500 lbs.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

The 2010 is way better than the older gen cars regarding cooling capacity but it still works way hard when your 1500+ lbs especially if the load presents major windage ie drag etc. Nearly no rv big brand maker makes a quality tent trailer that uses light quality materials. Livinlite is about the only maker I found that built good tent trailers in the ob weight range. If your camping involves shoulder months and crummy weather my number one pick is a teardrop rig for that application. Especially when it is just you and the wife.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver

I have a popup that pushes the scales at 3000lb when loaded, but I wouldn't tow it empty with the outback totally. The popups empty unloaded weight is around 2000lbs and I definitely feel it behind a RAV4 V6 (3.5liter).
Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback 3.6R Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
I really don't know what these things weight to be honest. A guy on my street tows one with a CR-V and says "You really can't feel it behind you" So I'm thinking the 170hp the 2.5 makes has got to be more than what a CR-V has, unless the limiting factor is the CVT?
The CR-V has 160 I think, but it isn't just engine output that determines towing rating. You do need to find out what the trailer weighs and what the OB can handle. If you were to be at fault in an accident and they found out you were towing a trailer that your car couldn't handle, you are looking at a mess.
VicVinegar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

I echo what I said in Post 3.

Find out what they weigh, that will determine if you can tow it safely and legally. What another vehicle can do is entirely irrelevant.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: