eyesight reviews - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks, basketballfan. Can you speak to the care and feeding? No car washes? What other things do you need to be aware of in terms of care of the car to not mess up the Eyesight?

(And, of course, there is the all important question: eyeglass holder or no? :-) )

Thanks for your response!
lflavora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
djz

Car: 2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight

I have had my OB with Eyesight for just over 2 weeks now and the system is nice in slow and go traffic on the way to work, I have been using it almost every day since I got the car and my only complaint is that it seems to be over aggressive on the brakes and slows the car down more than it needs to most of the time. I tend to set it at the closest following distance that it allows and each time the car ahead of me slows down, the gap between me and that car grows quite a bit which seems to invite people to dive between us causing the car to slow down even more.

With that being said, I am glad I have it and will continue to use it on longer drives, but I will probably use it less in stop and go traffic.

There is no eyeglasses holder but I have never had one in any of my other cars so I do not miss it.
djz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflavora View Post
Thanks, basketballfan. Can you speak to the care and feeding? No car washes? What other things do you need to be aware of in terms of care of the car to not mess up the Eyesight?

(And, of course, there is the all important question: eyeglass holder or no? :-) )

Thanks for your response!
Car washes should be okay. However, when cleaning the inside glass you want to spray the cloth you're using, NOT the window.

Also, watch out for new passengers in your car. If ONE MORE PERSON sticks their fingers up in the camera's area, I'm cutting fingers off. Thankfully, the lenses are rescessed, so it is kinda hard to actually touch the lenses.

Eyesight won't work when direct sunlight is shining into the wind shield and if you're in a monsoon, eyesight checks out and go on vacation.

There's a nice cubby right in front of the shifter for your glasses to rest.
Tom28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Washing the car is not a problem at all. As others said spray your rag not the glass on the inside.

Eyesight is not really meant to be used in stop and go traffic, I've used it to but it was more so just for fun. Eyesight isn't going to see the brake lights a few cars ahead that I see so it can't fully replicate that type of driving smoothness and anticipation. It will however keep me from rear ending someone if I do something stupid.

In regards to it not working in bad conditions its not really a big deal because these are the times you should be on hyper guard anyway. I wish it worked in bright sunlight but then it would need to be radar based which would cost more and would not recognize pedestrians. If you're already in for a limited with moonroof its worth the cost. If I hadn't wanted the moonroof it would be harder to spend $3200-$3600 (invoice cost) for just that feature.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

OP the Eye Sight system must be turned on each time but the lane departure is on automatically unless you deselect it. I agree that the ES does apply brakes a little too agressively but better than being timid.
This is NOT a new system except for us. In Japan this system has been in operation for 6 years now.
Also as mentioned it is not perfect but as close to useful as I want. Frankly if rain is beating down on my windshield I don't want my autopilot to be fat dumb and happy. This is where judgement comes into play.
So far I have not had it disconnect but then I have not driven in all conditions. Light to moderate rain have no real affect just as it would not for you driving regarding visibility...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
OP the Eye Sight system must be turned on each time but the lane departure is on automatically unless you deselect it. I agree that the ES does apply brakes a little too agressively but better than being timid.
This is NOT a new system except for us. In Japan this system has been in operation for 6 years now.
Also as mentioned it is not perfect but as close to useful as I want. Frankly if rain is beating down on my windshield I don't want my autopilot to be fat dumb and happy. This is where judgement comes into play.
So far I have not had it disconnect but then I have not driven in all conditions. Light to moderate rain have no real affect just as it would not for you driving regarding visibility...
I think you mean it has to be turned on for cruise control, right?

ES is on all the time with regards to lane departure, collision avoidance, etc.
Tom28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

Lane departure yes but not sure about collision avoidance. I am going to check my manual because I didn't think it was active in other but cruise control.
If it is that would be that much better...
Page 17 does state that you have to actively turn the pre-collision braking off so Tom28 is right the system will stay engaged (except for Active Cruise Control) when driving it. Active Cruise Control does require you to engage it....
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2013, 2.5I, Limited+eyesight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlurLife View Post
I love it! I won't own a car without this feature now.
Me too.
pdaeng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7

Eyesight is on when you start the car, yes. Lane departure and collision avoidance are on when the car is started. I know because I've never had to activate it after getting in and it works on the road.
For instance, if a vehicle a little bit ahead of you is turning right and you're coming up on them as they slow, it will sound if I don't take my foot off the gas or hit the brakes. I can see that I don't need to hit the brakes judging by the turn point, their speed, etc. but the car is still seeing them as an object in my path. Pretty cool especially if you're not paying attention. But I'm sure none of us text and drive, right?
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflavora View Post
Can you speak to the care and feeding? No car washes? What other things do you need to be aware of in terms of care of the car to not mess up the Eyesight?

What makes you think "no car washes"? I use car washes all the time and treat my 2013 with EyeSight no differently than my 2010 OB and Legacy.
Also what "care and feeding"? I guess I can speak to that. There are none.
Plus my wife found plenty of other places for her sunglasses. I told her I could put a small holder between and EyeSight switches and the mirror if she wanted to keep the holder in the same area but she thought it wasn't necessary.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: