eyesight reviews - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default eyesight reviews

I am looking at trading my 2009 forester in on a new 2013 outback. I am new to this forum. I have decided on the 2.5 limited and can not make up my mind on the eyesight feature. I do realize I have to get roof/nav/eyesight which is fine. My question is how well does it work?? Do you think it was worth getting?? I am looking for comments from people who own a 2013 with eyesight. Thanks for any help
subieoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT

I love it! I just bought it so keep that in mind.

I drove 7 hrs yesterday and the adaptive cruise control really comes in handy. If you like using cruise on the highway, imagine your next car not offering cruise. That about sums up the difference between adaptive cruise and regular cruise for me. As a convenience feature, it's great. I would pay at least $500 for this feature alone and I'm a cheap SOB. (note that I was driving a 12-yr old Outback exclusively up until a few weeks ago, despite being a station in life that permits otherwise)

Fortunately, I haven't had to use the safety feature much. The lane departure will alert if I stray while trying to reach something in the back seat (in other words, it works as intended). I got my first look at the collision avoidance feature about an hour ago when a pedestrian took her time crossing the street well after the light changed and I idled towards her. It alerted me that an object was in my path but I wasnt close enough for it to engage braking.

One reason I like the Outback is its many safety features. To me, AWD is a safety feature that provides versatility (read: goes where other cars don't) as a bonus. EyeSight, similarly, offers enhanced safety and convenience is the bonus.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

I've listed some functioning details in the 13 thread if you want to search my posts. Bottom line is I'm impressed with how well they designed this. The way it behaves and doesn't freak out, only makes decisions if its sure...etc really has me liking it. At invoice its only $2400 more than the moonroof which we were going to get anyway. Now that we have it we don't regret it one bit. I didn't need NAV at all but I enjoy the audio interface more and the backup camera. I'll use the NAV for navigating maybe once a year....oh well.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Very good for trips

I have had the vehicle for a week or so and have used the feature in lots of situations. I have even had some fun to see how long I could go without touching the pedals, and the secret is to avoid stop signs and not be the first in line at a traffic light.

I give the adaptive cruise very high marks, and the lane departure is fine but I find that it goes off when I know what I am doing, so it will probably encourage me to use my blinker more often. The accident avoidance sometimes signals but I have not tried to test this aspect of the system.

The only weakness is that it doesn't look as far ahead for stopped traffic as a driver, so sometimes approaches stopped traffic at a higher speed than you would, but it does stop in time. Other than this example, the braking and accelerating are very smooth, and it is perfectly mated to the CVT transmission as it helps to slow and speed the car without any shifts.

I think the system is well worth the money.
Ljnymd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

I love it! I won't own a car without this feature now.
PlurLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7

I made the mistake of driving a Limited with this feature at my local dealer (I really think they're getting sick of me at this point). I really liked it... like, a lot.
I told myself I'd never own a car without rain sensing wipers again after owning my 300c for over 5 years, but this is a pretty fair tradeoff
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

I tested this system extensively before ordering and EyeSight is a system that is well worth the money. The system reacts as fast as it needs to react but in most situations it is smooth and gradual with no sudden inputs (excluding a case where you are going to run into someone).
We ordered the Outback knowing that we have no use for the moon roof or nav because this feature is very compelling for anyone driving a lot. If you are just around town and don't put a lot of miles on a car you might reconsider but for us it was a slam dunk.
As a side note the improved Harmon Karden sound system with nav is superior to what comes stock and the nav will be an added bonus so all in all we liked the EyeSight system and I think it is well implemented by Subaru...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback and '13 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceBoh View Post
I'll use the NAV for navigating maybe once a year
iainb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

A few questions... First, minor issue - it appears the mounted cameras do away with the nifty eyeglass holder. (Minimal issue but I do love that thing...) J

Just came from a dealer who is clearly not up on this feature so the demo was lacking. I did not get a sense of whether or not this is a feature that you turn on or is always on. I did get the impression that it is a set of features (adaptive cruise, lane detection, emergency stopping - have I left something out?).

Again, the dealer was little help though they did try to downplay it - new technology, lots of things to worry about. (Car wash, etc.) Those of you who have this - do you find the care and feeding burdensome? Worth the trouble?

Thanks for any insight. My daughter was in a head on in my 2011 Outback last weekend and walked away with bruises. Thus, I will be buying another one. But I'm trying to get a sense if this package is more hype than help. Given the accident, I'm inclined to go with it. Opinions appreciated!
lflavora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think it's fantastic. Now that I have it, I don't think I will buy another car without it. Not only for the safety aspect, but just the reduction of stress on the open road and in slow stop and go traffic, makes it worthwhile for me. I especially love how it can judge how hard someone is breaking better than I can. The adaptive cruise control is something you turn on. The other features are on unless you turn them off.

All the naysayers that I've read are from people who don't own it. Most of the complaints seem to be that it doesn't work in all conditions. That's true because the camera's can't react to what it can't see and the car doesn't have sensors to adjust for varying stopping distances due to conditions. But, if you don't own it, it doesn't work in any conditions!
basketballfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: