2013 Subaru navigation and map upgrades - Help! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 Subaru navigation and map upgrades - Help!

Folks-
I'm about to decide whether I need the navigation package or not. I have some questions:
1. How does the maps upgrade work? And how much does it typically cost?
2. Is it true that the navigation system has a pretty bad re-sale value? It might so happen that I might have to sell my Outback in 4 years (move out of the country..).
3. How are the nav units by Fujitsu ten. I see that this is new on the OB 13.

Please advice!
ob_buyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT

If you have to ask whether you need the nav, then chances are you don't need the nav. That said, I decidedly did not need the nav but I wanted eyesight badly enough that I was buying it. Although I would be inclined to resent that add-on, I'm growing to appreciate the features.

The nav is considerably more powerful than my handheld gps ($350 in 2011, a gift). I especially like the traffic/construction updates. The other features such as hands-free calling are compelling safety components. The integrated Bluetooth and voice commands are slick and effective.

I estimate it will add three-, maybe four hundred dollars to trade-in value 4 years out, but you should assume very little in the way of payback if it's a concern. In other words, I find the price hard to justify without regular use. As I've mentioned, I use it a lot more than I thought I would (not so much for finding my way around).

Too soon to know about updates in the '13. The card is easy to access and inexpensive, so it bodes well for swapping.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Limited

I can't comment on the exact pricing but generally aftermarket nav upgrades are around $100, for each upgrade (no lifetime upgrades on Garmin's like the portables). OEM nav upgrades are generally more expensive (around $250) and may or may not be available yearly. As for the resale, it's usually added in on the entire package (i.e. Nav/moonroof/eyesight) so its hard to say what it's worth alone. For some of us an aftermarket is much better of an idea. Updates can be a new disc or in most cases these days are a new SD card that is inserted into the unit.

Fujitsu used to make excellent decks in the mid to late 90's but haven't done much in the aftermarket since the early 2000's. It remains to be seen how well they will keep up with updates since they didn't do much with nav in the past, except there association with TomTom.
lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob_buyer View Post
Folks-
I'm about to decide whether I need the navigation package or not. I have some questions:
1. How does the maps upgrade work? And how much does it typically cost?
2. Is it true that the navigation system has a pretty bad re-sale value? It might so happen that I might have to sell my Outback in 4 years (move out of the country..).
3. How are the nav units by Fujitsu ten. I see that this is new on the OB 13.

Please advice!
1. I don't believe there have been any updates for the new model yet, but according to Subaru updates can be downloaded to your computer and installed on your nav via a SD card. The older units required buying an update DVD.
2. I just went through this with trading in my 2010. NAV added $500. to trade in value.
3. Not many, they are new but so far reviews have been good. I pick mine up on Monday and will post a review as soon as I get some time on it.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

If you spend the money on nav add eyesight or sap. I know its more money but it's really not that much more on a 30k car. My vote is for eyesight.....obviously.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider68 View Post
If you spend the money on nav add eyesight or sap. I know its more money but it's really not that much more on a 30k car. My vote is for eyesight.....obviously.
I concur. I think eyesight or SAP packaging makes for a better buy than a la carte nav.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited, 3.6, automatic
Default slow nav on 13 Outback

I see that the questions and replies were back in August. I am having problems with my new Outback and the navigation portion. It is very slow in telling me when to make a turn. Usually "after the fact". I hate to depend on it in an unknown area. I consider this a malfunction an hope there is some fix. Has anyone else experienced this and have you been able to do anything about it. It would also be great to hear that you are NOT having the same problem.
Outsideteam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

My nav is excellent. I don't have a slow after the turn experience and the integrated display is really nice when you are doing radio tuning, Bluetooth, actually using nav which I use all the time.
How can you beat updates using the SD card and many have pushed the 8GB to 32GB cards.
Cost to update? How do you calculate an update to a brand new system? I think Subaru picked the SD card because of others complaining about the way the 2010-2012 did it.

As has been said why get nav when Eye Sight comes packaged with nav and moonroof.

I had no use for either but the nav I love, the moonroof is still not valueable to me at all but works well...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have 2013 OUtback Limited and the navigation is dangerously inaccurate on a random basis
jradey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: '13 OBW SAP 3.6R

I have contacted SOA about timing and pricing of Nav updates for the 2013+ model years with the Fujitsu Ten system. They had no information (yet) on either.
digdah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: