replacement tires? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default replacement tires?

I had a tire go out on my 2012 outback last night... something in the road slit the interior sidewall. Long story short I need a new tire.

My car has about 16k miles on it, and these are the original tires. I've read there are problems with alignment on these due to the awd so im curious if i should just get a tire at the local discount place or do it at a dealer.

Also, with 15k on the original tires do I need to get a pair or will one suffice, and if so whats a good but fairly affordable tire for these things?

Called the dealer this morning but their service department is out til monday due to the holiday weekend, so thought id research before hitting the local walmart or whatever.
Alchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

I read on this forum about replacing all four...but you have to replace at least two on same axle for sure.

My Subaru: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...i-limited.html

"Please don't let my IQ drop from reading your post like Osama's body after a double tap!"
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Space Invaders Champion

Car: 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist42 View Post
I had a tire go out on my 2012 outback last night... something in the road slit the interior sidewall. Long story short I need a new tire.
Bummer...
Quote:
My car has about 16k miles on it, and these are the original tires. I've read there are problems with alignment on these due to the awd so im curious if i should just get a tire at the local discount place or do it at a dealer.
Alignment isn't the problem. Different sized tires (or worn ones) cause the wheels to rotate at slightly different RPMs, (smaller diameter=more RPM) which stresses the differentials. And breaks them. You'll want to keep the tires close in size and wear. See your owner's manual if you want it from Suby, it's in there somewhere.
Quote:
Also, with 15k on the original tires do I need to get a pair or will one suffice, and if so whats a good but fairly affordable tire for these things?
Getting a pair of tires after 15k miles would be a bad idea, for the reason above. The tires people would recommend would be very dependent on your driving habits and needs. For example:
1. On road, never off road? Occasional off-road? Never off-road?
2. Drive in cold weather? Snow?
3. Is performance or mileage more important?
Quote:
Called the dealer this morning but their service department is out til monday due to the holiday weekend, so thought id research before hitting the local walmart or whatever.
The other option is finding a local shop that can shave a tire down to the size of the other three good ones, then you can just get one. Tire Rack (online) can do the same, IIRC.

I lost one tire, similar situation. I replaced all 4.

Good luck!
reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Space Invaders Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
I read on this forum about replacing all four...but you have to replace at least two on same axle for sure.
Your car has a center diff, as well. Really, either shave the new tire to match, or replace all 4. If you go into a dealer with a mis-matched tire and a blown diff, you will likely as not be denied that warranty claim, and have to pay for the repairs yourself.

Sell three on Craigslist, and buy 4 new ones. It's less expensive in the long run.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ouch! So any time you get a single flat tire in an Outback it really costs you 4 new tires. How much can you expect to pay for tires for these? My miata tires were close to 300 each but I'm hoping these are cheaper.
Alchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium

Quote:
Ouch! So any time you get a single flat tire in an Outback it really costs you 4 new tires. How much can you expect to pay for tires for these? My miata tires were close to 300 each but I'm hoping these are cheaper.
It depends on the circumstances of the flat (if it can be plugged or not) and how much the tread has worn. People with different driving styles can induce different amounts of wear, though by 16,000 miles you've almost certainly worn more than Subaru prescribes for difference in circumference.
hallux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:

All your options are here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...tires-30k.html
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Space Invaders Champion

Quote:
I wouldn't waste $300 on a tire for the Outback... Figure around half that. These aren't exactly performance cars, and decent inexpensive all-season will do you fine. Unless you like spending money, that is. IIRC I paid under $600 to have all 4 of mine mounted, balanced, and installed.

A week after installing them, I picked up a nail. Patched it for free, so not every flat is catastrophic! I have a 5th wheel and tire, that I include in tire rotations. This way if I lose a tire, I don't need to replace 4. Of course, since ^&*(*&^$# Subaru didn't include a way to reprogram my TPMS easily by myself, my low pressure light is on, until I get to the dealer to reprogram it. But I can ignore that and check my pressures every now and again.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

Take a look here:
continental contiprocontact 225 60 17 | eBay
It will take a few days, but it is your best cheap option. Good luck.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: