2013 outback oil change intervals - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 premium w/AWP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 outback oil change intervals

On mysubaru website and service coupon sent by SOA, it is stating the 1st oil change is at 3,000 miles, 2nd at 7,500 miles and after that every 7,500 miles. Even on my Subaru owner website, it said this service interval recommend by your local Subaru dealer for your specific region and driving condition. My 13 is about 3,000 miles and called my dealer to schedule 1st service, the service adviser informed me it is a little early to change oil and they recommand to change every 3,750 miles with Synthetic due to Arizona heat. I am lost because it is different than what Subaru said. So I called SOA and told them my local dealer recommand different service interval and ask them what interval should I followed. SOA said they don't have an answer yet because they have not received the warranty and service outline. SOA suggested me to do it at 3000 for the 1st one and call back a month later for their recommendation. I want to know what your guys though and what u did for your 13s
485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

I will be doing my first oil change between 3500-4000. Then after will probably be around 7000. I'm going to switch to Amsoil XL so I'm not worried about the 7500 schedule being too long but others will feel thats too long. Opinions are a dime a dozen on this topic.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 485 View Post
On mysubaru website and service coupon sent by SOA, it is stating the 1st oil change is at 3,000 miles, 2nd at 7,500 miles and after that every 7,500 miles. Even on my Subaru owner website, it said this service interval recommend by your local Subaru dealer for your specific region and driving condition. My 13 is about 3,000 miles and called my dealer to schedule 1st service, the service adviser informed me it is a little early to change oil and they recommand to change every 3,750 miles with Synthetic due to Arizona heat. I am lost because it is different than what Subaru said. So I called SOA and told them my local dealer recommand different service interval and ask them what interval should I followed. SOA said they don't have an answer yet because they have not received the warranty and service outline. SOA suggested me to do it at 3000 for the 1st one and call back a month later for their recommendation. I want to know what your guys though and what u did for your 13s
sometimes there will be a chart, footnote or other info in the owner's manual showing different schedules - maybe different viscosities, for oil based on 'severe duty' or similar language.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium Carbide Gray

I did my first oil change at 3200mi on my 2013 2.5i. I used OEM Subaru synthetic oil, OEM filter, OEM crush ring. Did it in my driveway in about 30 minutes. Cost ~$50.

I plan to do the next oil change at 7500mi, and subsequent oil changes at the 7500mi interval, in my driveway with OEM Subaru supplies.

With the filter on the top of the new FB25 engine oil changes are very easy and can be completed in 15min after familiarizing yourself with the setup. OEM supplies can be purchased in bulk online for a decent discount, and peace of mind is priceless.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feel free to change the oil as early as you like as often as you like, as long as it does not go over what the owners manual says. The only thing you're going to hurt changing early is your wallet, you'll help nothing. I assume you have a 3.6 if so change it at 3,0000 miles, forget waht the dealer says. The dealer has no legal say in the matter. on the other hand if you have the 2.5 the first oil change is at 7500 miles.

I use Synthetic regardless, I have the 2.5 which requires 0w-20, to my knowlege 0w-20 only comes in synthetic. Not sure what to 3.6 uses, if it 10w-30 then you have a choice. The brand or oil makes zero differance, a word of caution. 0w-20 isn't the most common of oils. If you have a Walmart, JiffyLude, etc. do the oil change make sure they use the correct oil.
missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 2013 Outback 2.5 and the first change is supposed to be at 3000. After that, the booklet appears to say 7500.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I have a 2013 Outback 2.5 and the first change is supposed to be at 3000. After that, the booklet appears to say 7500.
I also have a 2013 2.5, double check your owners manual. Look closer, you're looking at the 3.6. Samething happend to me.
missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Today I checked engine oil in my new 2013 3.6R OB with 433 miles on its clock.
Oil level is the same as on the day I've got the car, but it is pretty dark, possibly due to the engine break in progress. The original engine oil is not synthetic which was confirmed by SoA rep over the phone. I think I need to change this oil after 1K miles and put in there full synthetic Amsoil OE 5W30 and change it again after 3K miles using Amsoil Signature 5w30 to ensure that all the break in crud was washed out completely from the engine. After this I can switch to manufacturer recommended 7500 mile period oil changes.
Hunny Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

HB I recall that the 3.6 engine was designed and sold and run for many years on standard oil - synthetic would be your personal choice not something Subaru says is required for the 3.6.

The new engine family just released were actually designed with synthetic oils in mind they actually come with synthetic oil in them and Subaru notes in the owners manual that synthetic oil is needed. Switching to synthetic won't hurt anything but in an engine that was designed to run on the standard old oil like the old 2.5 and the 3.6 every subaru mechanic I've spoken too has suggested going at least 10,000 miles on standard oil before switching to synthetic. They all said the same thing - that the standard oil just enabled the older engines to seat parts better than the slicker more effective synthetic oils. I've followed their advice now with two subarus and have had zero issues and engines that don't leak or consume any measurable amount of oil - yes once I had 10 or 15K on them I switched to synthetic given we live in a very hot area and tow so any additional cooling capacity I can give the 2.5 is a good thing.

The new 2.5 in the 2013 OB is a full synthetic engine from day one it was designed with synthetics in mind.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2013 premium w/AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
Feel free to change the oil as early as you like as often as you like, as long as it does not go over what the owners manual says. The only thing you're going to hurt changing early is your wallet, you'll help nothing. I assume you have a 3.6 if so change it at 3,0000 miles, forget waht the dealer says. The dealer has no legal say in the matter. on the other hand if you have the 2.5 the first oil change is at 7500 miles.

I use Synthetic regardless, I have the 2.5 which requires 0w-20, to my knowlege 0w-20 only comes in synthetic. Not sure what to 3.6 uses, if it 10w-30 then you have a choice. The brand or oil makes zero differance, a word of caution. 0w-20 isn't the most common of oils. If you have a Walmart, JiffyLude, etc. do the oil change make sure they use the correct oil.
I have a 2.5.
485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: