2011 Outback Low Beam headlights Burnt Again - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 2.5 Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 Outback Low Beam headlights Burnt Again

I have a 2011 that I purchased the end of 2010 the vehicle is 23 months old and I am on my 3rd set of Headlight bulbs. I have 53000k miles so long out of warranty. There is no resolution in site. I just filed a complaint with NHTSA. After some searching it does not appear this is an isolated instance if you are having the same problem get your vin number and file a
complaint with NHTSA maybe it will help.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
Just curious, do you use your headlights in the auto mode? This may have something to do with the constant on/off cycling the 10-12 is plagued with. If this is the case someone with a commute with a lot of overpasses could burn out their bulbs a lot faster than someone with less overpasses.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Just a question. Who replaced the bulbs? Did they touch them with their fingers? The oil from fingertips can damage both the glass and metal, causing the bulb to blow out much sooner. These type bulbs should not be touched with bare fingers when installing them. You should always remove these bulbs from their packaging and install them with a paper towel or cloth to protect them from your direct touch.
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 2.5 Limited
Couple of answers after the first set blew out we no longer use the Auto setting. As far as touching the bulbs during install I have a mechanic I have been using for years. High end shop very trusted I am sure he is not
touching the bulbs. The other annoyance is you have to remove the fender liner to access the bulb. You think they would have put and access door through the liner like I had on my ML320. I am very close to making
some kind of access door via the fender liner.

Thanks
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
13 months and almost 14,000 miles and no burned out bulbs yet, knock on wood (composite as that's closest). I use auto most of the time but my commute has 2 overpasses (round-trip).
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM

41,000 miles no burnt out bulbs yet. I did have a relay fail around 12,000 miles took the dealer about 10 minutes to replace it.

Do you drive on rough roads? When I was working on a ranch with a long rough driveway I went through all sorts of bulbs headlight bulbs - tail light bulbs etc the rough road was just beating the bulbs to death. HID's by the way hate rough roads even more than standard bulbs.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
That sucks but I just can't see the NHTSA doing anything about it. They're probably making jokes in their office right now about how many people it takes to change a Subaru light bulb.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

Car: 2014 Carbide Gray Outback with Alloy Wheel Pkg.
If I remember correctly, I remember when I got my 2011 I noticed people posting that they were having issues with the headlights burning out and they were replacing them quite often. I don't recall anything be done about it though.

There was an issue with the 03-05 Kia Sorento's where the head lights and taillights would blow out quite often. This did become a safety issue, NHTSA got involved, and a recall was issued.
subiemar likes this.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV
I put a set of Osram off road bulbs in mine when I got it and have not used the auto off/on sensor. No problem with the bulbs blowing...34,000km
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	osram_super_bright_off_road_65w_64217.jpg
Views:	1761
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	25104  

The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium
I realize I'm quite late to this thread, but I have the same issue as JoeA. This will be the second replacement in less than a year. It's been the passenger side both times. At around 30K. I do not use auto, and the dealership replaces them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: