2013 Navigation HORRIBLE - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Is this seriously going to ask me to hit "I agree" EVERY TIME I TURN ON THE CAR??
Se7enLC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: '15 STi and '13 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombee View Post
Looking at outbacks right now and I was not too fussy on the Nav. However if you want leather you have to get the Limited that comes with Nav. You cannot set a destination while driving. Is this only Canada or the US also? It is very annoying, you have to stop to set a destination. Not very convenient in a big city freeway situation where you have a passenger to enter it.
All factory navigation systems from all manufacturers have a lock out when the car is in motion.

Most factory navigation systems have hacks you can find online to disable the lockout- generally some wire or contact attached to the drive selector that can be easily modified so the nav system always thinks the car is in park.

BTW - In the US the nav system is not standard in the Limiteds, that is a Canada thing.
iainb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
Is this seriously going to ask me to hit "I agree" EVERY TIME I TURN ON THE CAR??
Every portable GPS I've owned does this. Why would the one in a car be any different?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Next, you might want to spend time with others. I helped a few daft to tech who just got Toyota and GM products get their systems and phones set up. They're not so great either.
This. My parents hate the nav/audio system in their '11 Toyota Highlander. I've tried to use it a few times and it's completely unintuitive.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl

True. Par for the course, especially when BT isn’t (practically) a robust std to begin with. Cars will adopt what nav/audio/comm is current (at the moment), after 6 mos you’re stuck with it.
GasGuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:
No. The only time you will have to hit the "I agree" is when you go to use the nav. This is a nice improvement for 2013. Previously you had to hit "I agree" everytime you started the car even if the screen was just being used for the radio.
I really haven't had any problems so far. Phones synced fine, BT finds the phone every time, directions are ok and volume isn't too loud once you adjust it . I guess it's because I previously had the 2010 OB nav and up was the only way to go from there. What I do miss is the absence of a DVD drive. On my 2010 the passenger could watch DVDs during a long trip.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 2.5 LTD with Nav & Sunroof Pkg's

I have a 2013 OB with Nav and I use a Blackberry (work) and an HTC Arrive Smartphone (personal) and both download the phone book no problem. The issue I have is despite both phones being setup as connected devices the **** car never finds the phones. I always have to force a manual connection. Once connected they work perfectly. On a 2013 car this is pathetic. I have a BT device on my motorcycle helmet and it works perfectly everytime and it only costs $119. Maybe Subaru should use that device instead of their crappy one.

Lets not talk about the voice dial which I've never gotten to work correctly in the car.
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainb View Post
Every portable GPS I've owned does this. Why would the one in a car be any different?
Have you not owned a TomTom, I guess? Mine asked once when I first set it up, and never again unless I do a software reset or pull the SD card. And my phone certainly doesn't ask me that when I navigate.
Se7enLC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2013 3.6R SAP

I've found the Nav system plenty decent overall. I can't get the voice command to work well for anything, but I have preset locations and always program in the destination ahead of time so that I don't need to bother with it. What I don't like is how the interface is not very intuitive for most things. And the voice alert volume can't be turned down low enough for my tastes but it's not too bad. Overall I'm more than satisfied considering it's all built in to the car and there is no mounting/charging/cables to deal with.

The phone stuff I find great, but maybe it likes newer phones better. I have a Galaxy s3 and everything has been perfect. It automatically downloads the phonebook and detects the phone quickly each time. I like how the display shows the phone signal/battery info along with the interface to answer incoming calls. It's much more responsive than any similar systems I've used before. I've been particularly impressed that it maintains a solid link even when the phone is on the counter in the kitchen.. around 30 ft. away from the car in the garage.
kpk02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Have you not owned a TomTom, I guess? Mine asked once when I first set it up, and never again unless I do a software reset or pull the SD card. And my phone certainly doesn't ask me that when I navigate.
I don't consider a phone a "portable GPS", and I doubt most people do, so that's irrelevant.

My Garmin prompts me every time and I have owned 2 TomToms (730GO and 1535TM) and they did also to me recollection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: