2013 Navigation HORRIBLE - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I haven't owned a TomTom, but use and support mobile platforms in my work so know what popular phones and apps do.

I can still use an app on my phone to aid the built-in system whether by ear or looking at it.

Maybe I'm not so picky because I still remember driving a semi all over the country before we ever dreamed about systems like this.

I'm not cutting Subaru slack as much as not finding any car nav system I've seen or tried to be so great.
imwjl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Built in NAV systems are 90's tech.

Which is why all the techno geeks I work with and know in Silicon Valley never buy archaic built in NAV systems to start with.

The reason your complaining is simple you paid Subaru to install 90's technology into your 2013 car. What did you expect?
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Special Appearance Package

I reported an issue to Subaru support regarding the 2013 Outback GPS and Blutooth issue. While GPS navigation guidance is underway, if you use the handsfree feature to make a phone call and then end the phone call with the end button on the wheel, the voice guidance doesn't come back. I was told this is by design, as the system thinks I'm still in the voice command mode. I'll need to press the voice command button again, announces "Cancel" in order for the voice guidance to be activated again.
How sad...
raymondoc168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 2.5 LTD with Nav & Sunroof Pkg's

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
The reason your complaining is simple you paid Subaru to install 90's technology into your 2013 car. What did you expect?
My wife has a 2012 Touareg and her nav and BT work perfectly everytime. Never had an instance where either phone, nav or voice functions never worked. THAT is what I expect.
fleuger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.

Quote:
Built in NAV systems are 90's tech.

Which is why all the techno geeks I work with and know in Silicon Valley never buy archaic built in NAV systems to start with.

I'd be curious to know what NAV system would be considered 2012 tech?

Regardless of the system, they all rely on the exact same information from the exact same birds-in-the-sky (and WaaS time correction transmitters, where applicable).

It's just how they present the information that's different.
Tom28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
My wife has a 2012 Touareg and her nav and BT work perfectly everytime. Never had an instance where either phone, nav or voice functions never worked. THAT is what I expect.
Thats good given the Towrag has the most days in the shop record of any SUV on the market. At least this way she can make a call from it while waiting for the tow truck. The NAV in the Towrag is the least of your worries so compared to the rest of the car it probably seemed like the only thing that worked reliably. :-)

By the way the euro sailors all call it the TowRAG given its primarily viewed as a tow vehicle and tends to be a pile of steaming crap. LOL
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #27 (permalink)

Also just for thought - Subaru buyers generally did not spend money on things like NAV so it doesn't make much sense for Subaru to spend much effort developing or searching out a really good NAV unit especially today where the NAV is not popular with most buyers to start with.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats good given the Towrag has the most days in the shop record of any SUV on the market. At least this way she can make a call from it while waiting for the tow truck. The NAV in the Towrag is the least of your worries so compared to the rest of the car it probably seemed like the only thing that worked reliably. :-)

By the way the euro sailors all call it the TowRAG given its primarily viewed as a tow vehicle and tends to be a pile of steaming crap. LOL
The 2012 is the new Touareg model. I agree about the original Touareg but the new one has been flawless. Good idea to get your info right first.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
The 2012 is the new Touareg model. I agree about the original Touareg but the new one has been flawless. Good idea to get your info right first.
Regardless of model it still has that VW emblem on it right?

For the record I own a 2001 1.8T 5spd Jetta it will be the last VW we ever own and the only reason we still have it is my wife purchased it brand new and it has 55K on it. The only place it goes is to the train station. We have the OB for 99% of all our use and we just replaced our old 93 Land Cruiser with an 07 Sequoia which we use to haul grand parents - kids etc.

The VW nickle and Dimes us to death on various random broken crap not to mention all the fluid leaks - its leaked MT fluid since day one. I have never seen a VW that didn't leak at least one or two types of fluid before its basic warranty was up.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Regardless of model it still has that VW emblem on it right?

For the record I own a 2001 1.8T 5spd Jetta it will be the last VW we ever own and the only reason we still have it is my wife purchased it brand new and it has 55K on it. The only place it goes is to the train station. We have the OB for 99% of all our use and we just replaced our old 93 Land Cruiser with an 07 Sequoia which we use to haul grand parents - kids etc.

The VW nickle and Dimes us to death on various random broken crap not to mention all the fluid leaks - its leaked MT fluid since day one. I have never seen a VW that didn't leak at least one or two types of fluid before its basic warranty was up.
I've had a lot of VW's and not experienced your issues. Maybe you have a bad one? Every brand can have lemons. My last VW was a 2008 R32 which I sold three years later when We adopted two Greyhounds. I loved that car and it was flawless. Never had any issues in the 38K miles I owned it.

A buddy has a 7 year old Touareg and that thing has been a money pit with issues with electronics, to fluid leaks to mechanical issues. I don't know why he has not dumped it already.

I really like my OB but it is certainly not as much fun to drive as a VW. I'm counting on it being flawless for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: