2013 Navigation HORRIBLE - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 Navigation HORRIBLE

Just picked up my 2013 Outback. I've never had a fancy in-dash navigation system before.

This thing is just horrible. It makes hissing noises like crazy, the navigation is poor at best, and simple things like phonebook sync don't work at all.

I only got it because I really wanted EyeSight (which, conversely, is TOTALLY worth it!).

Was the 2012 navigation this bad? I didn't think I'd want an aftermarket deck in my new car, but this thing is REALLY bad.
Se7enLC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback 2.5L CVT Premium, Skyblue

I've heard the Nav was bad in Subies. Whether or not the the phone book sync happens is phone dependant. There is a list of compatible phones on the subaru.com website.

Common sense, isn't common.

Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue View Post
I've heard the Nav was bad in Subies. Whether or not the the phone book sync happens is phone dependant. There is a list of compatible phones on the subaru.com website.
Did you look at that list? There are like 5 phones on it, and none of them support phone book syncing.

The PHONE support phone book sync - It's just that the Subaru NAV doesn't support the PHONE.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

subaru has THE worst nav. my 06 tribeca's is useless. google maps on my phone is the way i go.
N8thesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6 Limited

Just go aftermarket why bother with stock nav/audio system? Crutchfield has lots of other options.
Scoobie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback 2.5L CVT Premium, Skyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
Did you look at that list? There are like 5 phones on it, and none of them support phone book syncing.

The PHONE support phone book sync - It's just that the Subaru NAV doesn't support the PHONE.
Fair enough.

My Maxx is not support but I think the Iphone5 is.

Common sense, isn't common.

Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Looking at outbacks right now and I was not too fussy on the Nav. However if you want leather you have to get the Limited that comes with Nav. You cannot set a destination while driving. Is this only Canada or the US also? It is very annoying, you have to stop to set a destination. Not very convenient in a big city freeway situation where you have a passenger to enter it.
Mombee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight

I join you getting this because my wife wanted EyeSight and the large CRT for phone use.

First, don't compare the 2013 to earlier models.

Next, you might want to spend time with others. I helped a few daft to tech who just got Toyota and GM products get their systems and phones set up. They're not so great either.

Finally the time with those cars and a 2013 Honda changed my opinions on the Subaru build quality and value. It seems like most new cars shy of luxury models are built with cost and weight savings in mind.

Perfect? No. Safer or better than looking at your phone or a map while in motion? Yes.
imwjl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

I have no issues with nav at all. It works. Whether you have phone sync isn't a nav function by the way it is a car to phone interface function. Other vehicles without nav do this so if you compare this as a function of nav you are totally wrong.

I have Nuvi which works well as portable but the nav itself works. It allows you to set the course you wish being track up or north up, do the other essential nav functions.

I have heard comments from other members stating their nav tells them to turn after the turn has passed. That is an unacceptable system problem which my nav doesn't have.
fun2drive is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Next, you might want to spend time with others. I helped a few daft to tech who just got Toyota and GM products get their systems and phones set up. They're not so great either.
Fair enough - having never had in-dash navigation, I can only compare it to the TomTom devices I've owned and my 3 Android devices - all of which are fast, intuitive, accurate, and fully-functional :-)

Quote:
Perfect? No. Safer or better than looking at your phone or a map while in motion? Yes.
Not sure I agree with that one. Not only did it give me wrong directions, it also took the better part of 5 minutes to enter an address using voice commands. I wasn't staring at the screen the whole time, but it was a long time to be distracted. My android phone does the same thing in about 10 seconds

I say: "Google - Navigate to 1234 Main street, CityName State"
Google Says: "Navigating!"

I mean, I know it's not fair to compare normal companies to the superstars like Google and Apple (and even Garmin, TomTom, etc), but I guess I expected more improvement since 2005 (The last time I bought a new car and was unimpressed by the built-in navigation).

So I kind of disagree. Sure a map is bad, but I think once I install a phone mount on the dash, I'll be much safer following Google on a 4.6" screen than following Fujitsu-Ten.

On a related note - anybody have any good high phone mounts? I've seen some good A-Pillar mounts, but I'd really prefer my phone to be in the center so that a passenger can enter the address for navigation whenever possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: