2014 Forester Revealed - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It would be nice if they would start making these in the USA like the Outbacks.
Phil83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #42 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 LTD

Call me "inept in the car-savvy department" then. I am not the only one that sees a resemblance to the Rav 4 in the new Forester, in fact to not be able to see it I would suggest one may need some glasses. Check the vehicle dimensions and you will also find them very close.

I'm not saying the Forester is not completely superior to the Rav 4, all I'm saying is that they do look similar. Of course all the internals will be completely different, unlike the BRZ/Fr-s. Toyota owns 16% of Subaru, to not believe there will be some sharing of engineering and design would be wrong.

Also I can't imagine anyone confusing the current Forester with the current Rav4, the current Forester was introduced late 2007, Toyota acquired a larger share of Subaru in 2008.

We are all here on a car forum mostly because we are car people. If you don't see the resemblance, fine continue to parade a larger "car-savviness" around. The tread was started for 2 reasons...1) Because I'm excited about the new forester and 2) See if anyone agrees(they do).

Will I still buy one, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelacy View Post
Saying the new generation Forester looks like the current generation RAV4 is like saying the current generation Outback looks like the Venza. Maybe some of the people on these forums need glasses because honestly I don't know how people think the Forester looks remotely the same as the RAV4 if you drive an Outback. Well, besides being completely inept in the car-savvy department at least.

Most people confuse the current Forester with the current RAV4 but those people don't really know a lot about cars or pay attention to detail.

Custom Fortune Cookies
willt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #43 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Toyota sells a lot of Rav4's compared to Subaru, a lot more. So perhaps looking similar to a Rav4 will bleed off some of their sales? To me it still looks like its own car but there are similarities. Now I'm curious to see what the new Rav4 will look like.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #44 (permalink)

The Trend of the truck looking SUV's has started to move in the direction of smoother car looking boxy wagons AKA new Nissan Pathfinder is a good example. Sort of a mash up between the Minivan and the SUV maybe we get a new class of vehicles the "MUT"?
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
pgh

Car: 2010 outback. base 2.5

Over NASIOC they have many pics. I like the XT and it appears at least in Japan all models have a X-mode selection on the console for off-road, I would take a XT premium for 28k than some jacked up Impreza(XV) any day
pgh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willt View Post
Call me "inept in the car-savvy department" then. I am not the only one that sees a resemblance to the Rav 4 in the new Forester, in fact to not be able to see it I would suggest one may need some glasses. Check the vehicle dimensions and you will also find them very close.

I'm not saying the Forester is not completely superior to the Rav 4, all I'm saying is that they do look similar. Of course all the internals will be completely different, unlike the BRZ/Fr-s. Toyota owns 16% of Subaru, to not believe there will be some sharing of engineering and design would be wrong.

Also I can't imagine anyone confusing the current Forester with the current Rav4, the current Forester was introduced late 2007, Toyota acquired a larger share of Subaru in 2008.
You can't imagine it because it's not like you can mentally forget what you already know without having amnesia. If you read the last part of that statement maybe you could imagine it. People who aren't that familiar with how certain models look can confuse the two based on the exterior design and dimensions.

The shape between the RAV4 and the new generation is there but the lines and everything else are different. The only "resemblance" is the fact that they have a similar silhouette (that triangle looks like the other triangle). Other than that, there's no need to feel insecure about your vision when it's the truth.

But that's most likely because you don't drive the current generation to notice the lines of the new generation. Someone who's followed the car since it joined the USDM can tell. Or those who pay attention very closely to the details of the exterior design don't see the "resemblance" like you would.
Gelacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #47 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

Quote:
The shape between the RAV4 and the new generation is there but the lines and everything else are different. The only "resemblance" is the fact that they have a similar silhouette (that triangle looks like the other triangle). Other than that, there's no need to feel insecure about your vision when it's the truth.

But that's most likely because you don't drive the current generation to notice the lines of the new generation. Someone who's followed the car since it joined the USDM can tell. Or those who pay attention very closely to the details of the exterior design don't see the "resemblance" like you would.
Exactly!

People used to tell me my 1984 Caddilac Cimarron was just a Cavilier. I was like "no man, what are you inept? this is a caddy, and has a different grill, badges and taillights!"

Then some fool tried to tell me my 92 Lexus was a Camry?!?

Some people just don't know their cars
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #48 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4legacy View Post
exactly!

People used to tell me my 1984 caddilac cimarron was just a cavilier. I was like "no man, what are you inept? This is a caddy, and has a different grill, badges and taillights!"

then some fool tried to tell me my 92 lexus was a camry?!?

lol :d
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4Legacy View Post
Exactly!

People used to tell me my 1984 Caddilac Cimarron was just a Cavilier. I was like "no man, what are you inept? this is a caddy, and has a different grill, badges and taillights!"

Then some fool tried to tell me my 92 Lexus was a Camry?!?

Exactly . It's like calling the Subaru Outback an Audi Allroad just because they "have the same dimensions." Might as well just assume everything with similar shapes are the first thing you think of that comes to mind if you see one that looks similar. It's the same underlying logic that comes form racism and sexism. It's not IGNORANT at all to go around using that judgement-based logic to see the world with rose-colored glasses.
Gelacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #50 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 LTD

Quote:
Exactly . It's like calling the Subaru Outback an Audi Allroad just because they "have the same dimensions." Might as well just assume everything with similar shapes are the first thing you think of that comes to mind if you see one that looks similar. It's the same underlying logic that comes form racism and sexism. It's not IGNORANT at all to go around using that judgement-based logic to see the world with rose-colored glasses.
Wow, seriously making a relation to sexism and racism over stating that one car looks like another? I had no idea I was such an ignorant person in making that statement, thank you for enlightening me.

What is it with this forum that so many threads always end in some type of keyboard battle or beating of the chest? I simply posted some of the new pics and my opinion while asking how others like the new design. If you disagree, like the car, dislike the car...cool but I don't really see a need to be condescending and/or insulting.

In an attempt to get back on topic...I like the design, though I have always been a fan of the boxier Forester style. Should be interesting to see it in person once on dealer lots, you know, so I can make an educated non-ignorant decision about it

Custom Fortune Cookies
willt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: