2013 CVT Questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2002 H4 Outback Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 CVT Questions

Hi all

I started a thread a few days ago to see which transmisson would be a better choice for me. But I switched it over to this one because some thought it about engine choice and didn't want that arguement to start. From the advice on that thread I decided on a 2.5 liter with CVT.

I just wanted to ask about the reliability of the new CVT in the 2013 models I know there are other threads about the 2010-12 CVT but I didnt see any about the new 2013 CVT.

Has anyone put higher milage on their 2013 Outback or had any problems with the CVT?
outbackpacker3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '13 OB 2.5i Limited

The 2013s have only been on the road since July. I got mine the first week of September and ive only just turned 3500 miles. There's not enough information at this time to make any inferences. So if you buy one we're all in the same boat together.
mqnada is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited

not only 2013, I think there hardly anyone here have a gen4 2.5 OB with CVT over 100K. miles... So good luck trying to get long term reliability on the CVT. Under 100K, there seems to be hardly any breakdown....at least from posters here.
awd-gg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free

I did see a post from someone regarding the 2013 CVT and not liking it compared to the first GEN. Try a search. I have a 2012 and really like ours.

I am not worried about longevity AT ALL. These things have to have thousands and thousands of test hours and run time before they are ever used in a production model vehicle.
HERS: 2011 OUTBACK LIMITED 2.5 (Traded)
2012 OUTBACK LIMITED 2.5
dboz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboz View Post
I did see a post from someone regarding the 2013 CVT and not liking it compared to the first GEN. Try a search. I have a 2012 and really like ours.

I am not worried about longevity AT ALL. These things have to have thousands and thousands of test hours and run time before they are ever used in a production model vehicle.
Well I will say after some time of ownership I like the 2013 FB motor more and the new CVT less. Supposedly the new CVT is rated for more HP and torque so maybe it will last longer. I'm learning with cars you can never win on all check marks. Somethings always going to be not right. At least in my price range.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2002 H4 Outback Wagon

I did try searching but most of the info in the threads were for 2010-12 CVT but I couldn't find much on the 2013 I know there were a few tweaks, but I haven't found anything definite other than it was mostly software tweaks.

And most of the feed back on the 2013 was mixed some liked it more some liked it less. that doesn't make a big difference to me because I do plan on getting a 2013. I would rather have the new suspention and handling thant the older CVT.

I think my first question was worded wrong. I meant to ask if anyone had a 2013 with higher mileage OR had trouble with any year of CVT.
outbackpacker3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a '13 With a potential CVT problem. In my case, the trans seems to have 2 modes of operation. In 'normal' mode, the converter locks up after taking off from a stop, and if going, 30mph or so, sits around 1200 RPM. In the 'abnormal' mode, the converter seems to lockup as normal, but occasionally feels like it unlocks, and will freely spin to 2000 RPM before transferring any power to the wheels. It is most noticeable at speeds under 40 MPH, but I suspect it may do it at higher speeds also. 'Abnormal' mode really ruins gas mileage too. This started around 1000 miles, and I've had it to the dealer once, but it wouldn't fail for them, and commented that it is probably a normal mode of operation. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so I hope it is an isolated problem.

Pat
mccullpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccullpl View Post
I have a '13 With a potential CVT problem. In my case, the trans seems to have 2 modes of operation. In 'normal' mode, the converter locks up after taking off from a stop, and if going, 30mph or so, sits around 1200 RPM. In the 'abnormal' mode, the converter seems to lockup as normal, but occasionally feels like it unlocks, and will freely spin to 2000 RPM before transferring any power to the wheels. It is most noticeable at speeds under 40 MPH, but I suspect it may do it at higher speeds also. 'Abnormal' mode really ruins gas mileage too. This started around 1000 miles, and I've had it to the dealer once, but it wouldn't fail for them, and commented that it is probably a normal mode of operation. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so I hope it is an isolated problem.

Pat
Sounds like your CVT is working correctly to me. 41,000 miles on mine pending the amount of throttle input and load on the car the CVT will manage the gearing and torque converter as needed.
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: