2013 CVT Problem? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 CVT Problem?

I have a '13 With a potential CVT problem. In my case, the trans seems to have 2 modes of operation. In 'normal' mode, the converter locks up after taking off from a stop, and if going, 30mph or so, sits, locked, around 1200 RPM. In the 'abnormal' mode, the converter seems to lockup as normal, but then feels like it unlocks, and will freely spin to 2000 RPM before transferring any power to the wheels. It is most noticeable at speeds under 40 MPH, but I suspect it may do it at higher speeds also. 'Abnormal' mode really ruins the gas mileage too. This started around 1000 miles, and I've had it to the dealer once, but it wouldn't fail for them, and commented that it is probably a normal mode of operation. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so I hope it is an isolated problem. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Pat
mccullpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccullpl View Post
I have a '13 With a potential CVT problem. In my case, the trans seems to have 2 modes of operation. In 'normal' mode, the converter locks up after taking off from a stop, and if going, 30mph or so, sits, locked, around 1200 RPM. In the 'abnormal' mode, the converter seems to lockup as normal, but then feels like it unlocks, and will freely spin to 2000 RPM before transferring any power to the wheels. It is most noticeable at speeds under 40 MPH, but I suspect it may do it at higher speeds also. 'Abnormal' mode really ruins the gas mileage too. This started around 1000 miles, and I've had it to the dealer once, but it wouldn't fail for them, and commented that it is probably a normal mode of operation. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so I hope it is an isolated problem. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Pat
Oh, I thought that was normal. I've noticed that 2000rpm and 1200rpm seem to both be points where it would sit. I thought 2000rpm was where it would be until it warmed up, perhaps, and then 1200 was once it had been running awhile. I'll keep a closer eye on it and see if I can spot any patterns of behavior. I didn't notice it as particularly negative or anything - and it didn't feel like it was "freely spinning" or unlocking or anything - just that it was running at a higher speed.
Se7enLC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Throttle load - vehicle speed etc all combine into the behavior of the torque converter
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

In my case, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the 'abnormal' mode of operation. On a cold start, the tranny always operates 'normally' for at least a mile. Most of the time, it continues to operate normally. Sometimes it doesn't. I don't think the engine load or throttle position have anything to do with it, as the tranny can operate in either mode on exactly the same piece of road, and under the exact same conditions. And when i say it freely spins up to ~2000 RPM, it's like it is in neutral. That freely. I realize the tranny changes ratios as needed, but not this quickly. It really seems like the converter comes unlocked....at least that's my theory. If it truly is operating normally, I would like to understand the reasoning, and under what conditions it changes 'modes'.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccullpl View Post

Thanks,
Pat
Normal, the ramp up in RPM is to provide better throttle response. I'll also add that the CVT has a different computer program for when its cold. This was intentionally programmed in.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

se7enLC,

Let me know if you notice any similar behavior from your CVT. It may be operating as it should, but I just want to understand why....
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7

On a cold morning with the heater on, my car does this as well. You'll cruise at 30mph at 2-2.2k rpm. However, if you turn the heater off, it goes right back down to normal. So my bet is that it's programmed to behave this way.
I usually just pop it into manual mode and force it into 4 or 5.
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 outback 2.5 prem

Same here. Stays at 2000 rpm when cold. Once it warms up all is normal.
11crv is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I also have a 2013 with almost 11,000 miles on it. I am curious if this happens if you allow the car to warm up for 2 or 3 minutes before driving off or at least until the blue light indicator on the dash goes out. Just a thought.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
On a cold morning with the heater on, my car does this as well. You'll cruise at 30mph at 2-2.2k rpm. However, if you turn the heater off, it goes right back down to normal. So my bet is that it's programmed to behave this way.
I usually just pop it into manual mode and force it into 4 or 5.
Just how the heck did you figure that out?! I tried it on my way home and SOB it worked. Not only did it work but once I turned the heater back on I swear the CVT worked better. However today was about 15 degrees warmer than the last few days but I'm going to do more testing once the temps go back below 30. This is the crazy crap that keeps me on the forum!
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: