Need Help with Replacing Cabin Filter.... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5 CVT Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Need Help with Replacing Cabin Filter....

I'm trying to replace the cabin air filter on my 2011 Outback, and am having trouble lowering the glove box. I got the dampener on off with no problem, but I can't seem to lower the golve box any farther to get to the cabin air filter. I've tried squeezing both sides of the glove box and pulling down, but that's gotten me nowhere.

Is there a "trick" to lowering the glove box that I'm not aware of?

FWIW, I'm trying to follow the steps in this video:

Thanks!
newbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI

There's no trick- damper off, then grab the "flimsy" inside panels while pushing in and down and it should eventually go down once you clear the lips on the inside. You're not going to break those flimsy side panels either, so just push around in all directions and they'll drop down. The whole process took me about 60 seconds start to finish, you'll get it
wutbürger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbert View Post
Is there a "trick" to lowering the glove box that I'm not aware of?

FWIW, I'm trying to follow the steps in this video: Cabin air filter replacement- Subaru Outback - YouTube

Thanks!
Yes, I found a 'trick' that worked for me. I reached back and pulled the back edge (top) of the glove box towards me. By By deflecting the back towards the passenger seat you will also notice the sides will pull inward. Doing this on each side while pushing the sides inward at the same time, I was able to more easily move each side inward far enough to slide them past their stops. Look at where the guy's left hand thumb is in the video and you will see where to grab the back to pull towards you.
bfoutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.

Just wiggle it around a bit, it will pop out. It can seem like you're being ruff on it but it will come out. Just pay attention to the angle it pops out at in the video.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5 CVT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutbürger View Post
There's no trick- damper off, then grab the "flimsy" inside panels while pushing in and down and it should eventually go down once you clear the lips on the inside. You're not going to break those flimsy side panels either, so just push around in all directions and they'll drop down. The whole process took me about 60 seconds start to finish, you'll get it
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoutch View Post
Yes, I found a 'trick' that worked for me. I reached back and pulled the back edge (top) of the glove box towards me. By By deflecting the back towards the passenger seat you will also notice the sides will pull inward. Doing this on each side while pushing the sides inward at the same time, I was able to more easily move each side inward far enough to slide them past their stops. Look at where the guy's left hand thumb is in the video and you will see where to grab the back to pull towards you.
Thanks guys! I finally got it out. What a PITA! It takes A LOT more force than the videos indicate, which makes you wonder whether you're removing it or breaking something.

Thanks again!
newbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

You clearly have never changed the filter on my 2001 VW jetta. Lets just say it involves removing sections of the car infront of the windshield - handling cheap very sharp flimsy sheet metal which fits poorly to start with ha ha.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift

My wife helped me with our 05 OB cabin filter. As soon as I saw all that was in place from the factory was just an empty filter frame, I told her, "it is just as well, as we never would have gotten an element in there in one-piece" - as we were putting all the parts back together that make up the right dash and glove box!
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

The "trick" is intended to cause you to visit your local Subaru dealer where you will be charged $115.95 to change the cabin filter.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
The "trick" is intended to cause you to visit your local Subaru dealer where you will be charged $115.95 to change the cabin filter.
Soon to be $215 given apparently people making 250K a year are filthy rich millionairs who need to pay off our GOV debt! LOL
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6 Limited

Any good aftermarket brands that fit? I don't like the cheap stuff they sell at most auto parts stores.
Mods: STi 19MM rear sway bar, STi pedal set, GT Spec rear strut brace, LED lights, Forester stainless exhaust tips, Alpine 235BT, JL Audio speakers, Dynamat Xtreme, Subtle dead pedal, Bosch ICON wiper blades, stealth turn signal bulbs, Cree LED DRL's, SAP Edition headlights
Scoobie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: