Question regarding Defroster and floor air flow. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Prem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Question regarding Defroster and floor air flow.

I'm not sure if it was posted before, but I have question regarding the airflow settings and it's effect on AC.

I know the manual states that if the airflow settings is set to windshield defrost, the AC will turn on automatically.

However, what about the setting that has the defroster/floor airflow? Does that turn on the AC as well?
lemob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Anything involving the defroster setting does.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT

The auto industry now a days uses the air conditioner to dry the air, that is why they tie any defrost setting into it.

On my Tacoma I bypassed it because you could watch the tach drop then pick back up as the ecu compensated for the load of the compressor kicking in when you turned on the defrost, in my mind it was just a gas waster.

Haven't seen any body even attempt it here on these boards although it was a pretty common mod on the Tacoma boards
Cobalt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift

Yes, the AC pump does run for Defrost and also for Floor/Defrost.

Our '05 OB, has orange labels printed for those two rightmost settings while the other setting labels for that particular knob are all a lighter color that matches all the other dash printing.

That different labeling color indicates (a reminder?) that the AC is on, even though you have not depressed the AC button.

Here is a photo I just found on Google from a 2009 OB showing the controls:

Notice how all the dash printing is light in color and the two rightmost are orange.

Also, the AC pump will not work below certain outside temperatures. It seems that around freezing (32F) and a bit above, the AC clutch will not engage, it is like that on all AC-equipped vehicles AFAIK.
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Prem

Thanks guys, that's really good to know.
I'll have to make sure to NOT leave it in that setting all the time. I used to leave this setting on in all my previous cars. Too bad it's not that easy to modify like that from forester.
lemob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
The auto industry now a days uses the air conditioner to dry the air, that is why they tie any defrost setting into it.

On my Tacoma I bypassed it because you could watch the tach drop then pick back up as the ecu compensated for the load of the compressor kicking in when you turned on the defrost, in my mind it was just a gas waster.

Haven't seen any body even attempt it here on these boards although it was a pretty common mod on the Tacoma boards
Did the same thing on my Nissan Frontier. I prefer to do the thinking of when the defroster should come on.
RobMunach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 12 OB Prem

I usually keep my setting on "FLOOR" during the winter. Check the owner's manual regarding airflow in each of these settings, and it should give you some insight.

FLOOR lets the warm air go to the floor, as well as the windshield and window defrost units (without being "dried" by the compressor). Also better than having the hot air blow at your face on the "PANEL" setting.

This works great in most situations, but when it's wet/humid out, it won't work too well, and I have to resort to using the actual "DEFROST / FLOOR" setting.
snowjoe11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: