Stock Stereo Upgrade - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback Premium 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Now I'm interested in the head unit rockthebeef suggested. The Qualir one. I couldn't find anything on legacygt. I'm temped to call them to see if the unit uses the media hub and phone steering wheel buttons.

Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizerWilhelm View Post
Now I'm interested in the head unit rockthebeef suggested. The Qualir one. I couldn't find anything on legacygt. I'm temped to call them to see if the unit uses the media hub and phone steering wheel buttons.

Any thoughts?
Yes...I was studying that also. It looks like it comes out of Europe...I'm assuming it's set up for American radio...there is a tab to set your GPS region. I wish it gave more specs as to how many amps, etc...but I love the stock look of it.
lattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback Premium 2.5

It actually comes from China. It's on the "About Us" page. I emailed them regarding the use of the media hub and steering wheel phone buttons and here is their response:

Thanks for your email.
I'd like to tell you that if your original has bluetooth function, after installing our item, it can not be used any more.

There is a MIC port at the backside of this player, you can connect an external microphone on it.

There is no can-bus on this player, if your original car doesn't have it either, the steering wheel control function can be used.

We can not sure that after installing our item, your original hub is still available, we have met this issues, some customers' car can still be used, while some can not.
If your original can not be used, you can use ours, our player can support Ipod function.

Have a nice day!
Sincerely
Golden
Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium

Wow. Well...Something tells me to stay away from that. I was looking through their website also, and all the reviews of their products are mysteriously good, and basically all say the same thing in some form of poor broken English. Oh well...it looks good, and it may function okay...but they need to work on their marketing and communication. I can only imagine what I would go through if I needed tech support or warranty repairs, etc...
lattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green

I've got a pretty good solution that I have been happy with I thought I should share.

I used rock's and thai's instructions and installed a avh-p8400bh from Pioneer in my 2.5 Limited with the stock non-nav HK system.

I have steering wheel controls as well. The headunit screen is motorized and tilts to fit very nicely in the dash, it doesn't look sunken. It has all the capabilities of AppRadio 2, but also has Satellite Radio, CD/DVD Player, video in/out, you can even run Netflix through the player. It's really a crazy-good head unit, and with the tilting screen and matching silver installation mount its a good set-up I think.

I ran the thick pioneer iphone cord through the dash, then up to a pro-clip-usa Iphone 4s holder with built-in pass through dock connector.

Surprise coolness factor? You can change the color of the buttons, I have them set to the matching red color. Also, one of the wallpapers included (you can add any image you want) is a fading brushed aluminum look that almost exactly matches the dash.

Seriously, I get compliments every time someone is in the car.

I am here to answer questions if anyone has them, also, I bought the headunit and all the materials I needed from Amazon, dash kit and wiring from Crutchfield.
NinjaTurtle2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Premium CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle2.5 View Post
I've got a pretty good solution that I have been happy with I thought I should share.

I used rock's and thai's instructions and installed a avh-p8400bh from Pioneer in my 2.5 Limited with the stock non-nav HK system.

I have steering wheel controls as well. The headunit screen is motorized and tilts to fit very nicely in the dash, it doesn't look sunken. It has all the capabilities of AppRadio 2, but also has Satellite Radio, CD/DVD Player, video in/out, you can even run Netflix through the player. It's really a crazy-good head unit, and with the tilting screen and matching silver installation mount its a good set-up I think.

I ran the thick pioneer iphone cord through the dash, then up to a pro-clip-usa Iphone 4s holder with built-in pass through dock connector.

Surprise coolness factor? You can change the color of the buttons, I have them set to the matching red color. Also, one of the wallpapers included (you can add any image you want) is a fading brushed aluminum look that almost exactly matches the dash.

Seriously, I get compliments every time someone is in the car.

I am here to answer questions if anyone has them, also, I bought the headunit and all the materials I needed from Amazon, dash kit and wiring from Crutchfield.
Wow, that's a nice head unit! I was fixated on the AppRadio, but that looks so much more versatile! I like the screen tilt and the better audio adjustability. If Pioneer finds out a solution to use with the iPhone 5, I may consider switching to that head unit. Otherwise, I'm going to see what 2013 brings into the car audio world. Manufacturers must be working on the new lightning connector by now...

If you're already on the internet, why don't you look it up for yourself?
rockthebeef is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthebeef View Post
Wow, that's a nice head unit! I was fixated on the AppRadio, but that looks so much more versatile! I like the screen tilt and the better audio adjustability. If Pioneer finds out a solution to use with the iPhone 5, I may consider switching to that head unit. Otherwise, I'm going to see what 2013 brings into the car audio world. Manufacturers must be working on the new lightning connector by now...

I love the unit, it really fits and works nicely. Pioneer also uses better fonts and icon layouts than Eclipse, Kenwood, and the others for a less "aftermarket" look, which I like.

My understanding is that the Lightning Connector doesn't transmit video, as the old 30-Pin Dock Connector does. Manufacturers will have to bring in "AirPlay" capabilities to do the same thing, which shouldn't be too hard to do, and shouldn't be too far away. I would expect a software update to be able to pull in video via bluetooth, but it might require a wi-fi or wi-fi type connection to transmit video.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

ninjaturtle2.5, pics would be great!

i have a HK non-nav unit that i was thinking about replacing.

i am hoping to recycle the speakers and amp.

joel
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
ninjaturtle2.5, pics would be great!

i have a HK non-nav unit that i was thinking about replacing.

i am hoping to recycle the speakers and amp.

joel

Hey Joel,

I will try to get some pictures up on the forum later today. If you want to recycle the Speakers and Amp, besure to use the wiring harness with RCAs for FL/FR/RL/RR! You will also have to insert a jump wire to the remote of the amp to get it to turn on, VERY easy to do, and a number of members have posted instructions. I got my wiring harness from Crutchfield, but I used a spare wire to do the amp/remote.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

NT2.5, thanks!

did you recycle your HK speakers/amp?

do you by any chance know if pioneer will be making a lightning cable for the 8400?

[edit] here's some info from the pioneer site...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...+Compatibility

[/edit]

i'll be receiving my iPhone 5 shortly.

thanks for the followup.

joel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: