Stock Stereo Upgrade - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Premium CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle2.5 View Post
I love the unit, it really fits and works nicely. Pioneer also uses better fonts and icon layouts than Eclipse, Kenwood, and the others for a less "aftermarket" look, which I like.

My understanding is that the Lightning Connector doesn't transmit video, as the old 30-Pin Dock Connector does. Manufacturers will have to bring in "AirPlay" capabilities to do the same thing, which shouldn't be too hard to do, and shouldn't be too far away. I would expect a software update to be able to pull in video via bluetooth, but it might require a wi-fi or wi-fi type connection to transmit video.
The 30 pin connector transmits analog video, which these head units require. The new lightning plug transmits video digitally, so a fix on Pioneer's end would need some sort of external digital to analog converter. I personally wouldn't hold my breath for a fix. I predict a new wave of Advanced App mode head units, i.e. AppRadio 3. It never ends with technology. It makes me consider getting an Android phone, which will work well with the AppRadio2 - and no proprietary connectors!

If you're already on the internet, why don't you look it up for yourself?
rockthebeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
NT2.5, thanks!

did you recycle your HK speakers/amp?

do you by any chance know if pioneer will be making a lightning cable for the 8400?

[edit] here's some info from the pioneer site...

Apple Compatibility | Pioneer Electronics USA

[/edit]

i'll be receiving my iPhone 5 shortly.

thanks for the followup.

joel
Don't hold your breath on the lightning cable, you will probably have to wait until next year for a whole new model stereo. You should be able to do everything BUT video, using a supplied lightning cable directly into one of the two USB ports on the 8400.

Yes, I reused my amps and speakers from the stock HK set-up, using the crutch field cables I suggested.
NinjaTurtle2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
ninjaturtle2.5, pics would be great!

i have a HK non-nav unit that i was thinking about replacing.

i am hoping to recycle the speakers and amp.

joel
Joel,

Attached are some photos. I used the standard dash kit from Crutchfield, not the crazy one that requires modification. I have the 8400 head unit, the XM receiver (using stock antenna), bypassed the parking break nonsense with a pep-boys switch, steering wheel control module, Wiring harness with RCA's from Crutchfield, FM Antenna adapter/converter from Crutchfield. And again, you need to run a wire to turn on the factory amps, easy enough to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Stock Stereo Upgrade-photo.jpg   Stock Stereo Upgrade-photo_1.jpg   Stock Stereo Upgrade-photo_2.jpg   Stock Stereo Upgrade-photo_3.jpg  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thank you for pics and info!

That screen is HUGE.

let's see what Santa brings

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you for pics and info!

That screen is HUGE.

let's see what Santa brings

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
No problem, I really enjoy it, and you can either add the navigation module or use your iphone with a couple of different app options. I use MotionX and it works well.

Good size screen without all the plasticly blue buttons taking up the whole dash that come with the Subaru navi option. I still have my storage bin!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #26 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5 (2013 Legacy front end)

is that as far back as the unit can be installed? OR can it be set back a bit more?
Quote:
Joel,

Attached are some photos. I used the standard dash kit from Crutchfield, not the crazy one that requires modification. I have the 8400 head unit, the XM receiver (using stock antenna), bypassed the parking break nonsense with a pep-boys switch, steering wheel control module, Wiring harness with RCA's from Crutchfield, FM Antenna adapter/converter from Crutchfield. And again, you need to run a wire to turn on the factory amps, easy enough to do.
ChrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
is that as far back as the unit can be installed? OR can it be set back a bit more?
That is as far as the top of the unit will go back, at least with the mounting kit that I used. The bottom is motorized and will tilt much further back. It works well for me, I noticed that the top corners were slightly out for all of about an hour.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthebeef View Post
The 30 pin connector transmits analog video, which these head units require. The new lightning plug transmits video digitally, so a fix on Pioneer's end would need some sort of external digital to analog converter. I personally wouldn't hold my breath for a fix. I predict a new wave of Advanced App mode head units, i.e. AppRadio 3. It never ends with technology. It makes me consider getting an Android phone, which will work well with the AppRadio2 - and no proprietary connectors!
BTW, Pioneer figured out the Andriod and iPhone 5 hookups for their AppRadios and their head units with AppRadio functionality, this 8400 included.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #29 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Premium CVT

Quote:
BTW, Pioneer figured out the Andriod and iPhone 5 hookups for their AppRadios and their head units with AppRadio functionality, this 8400 included.
Yeah, thanks. I've seen that. I'm surprised that Pioneer didn't just leave everybody in the dust and move on with new products. Unfortunately for the iPhone 5 you have to buy two other adapters to go with the new cable. That's a lot of adapters! I'll be keeping my system as is for probably another year, then I'll see what's out there.

If you're already on the internet, why don't you look it up for yourself?
rockthebeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited

Quote:
Joel,

Question for you. I have a new 2013 Limited and I was wondering the following:

1. Will this work with the factory bluetooth microphone and steering wheel buttons?
2. Will this work with the factory reverse camera?
3. Does the factory XM antenna require splicing?
4. How much is it extra for the GPS module? I am seeing it at $300, which seems like quite a bit to me.
5. One more I am seeing a lot of complaints regarding only iPhone support. I am guessing this doesn't support Androids? I have read a few reviews that stated the apps work with Android but most say its for the Apple devices.

Thanks!
Adam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: