Stock Stereo Upgrade - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Stock Stereo Upgrade

Hello..

I've decided to to a complete overhaul of my sound system on my '13 premium. The stock 6 speaker unit is just terrible and I think I've found it in the budget to to a correct upgrade.

I'm going double din GPS, a Pioneer AVIC-X94obt

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1 Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen and Built-In Bluetooth: Car Electronics

And Polk 6.5" speakers....along with the 8" Sound Ordinance powered flat Sub that goes under the drivers seat.

I was just about to pull the trigger on this and order, and one thing kept me from going forward. I am using the Subaru specific mounting kit from Crutchfield, and noticed the way the unit sits in the dash it has an angled recess. The pioneer unit I picked has a knob on the side...and that recess might impede access to the knob.

I know all this is very specific, but if anybody has done an upgrade on their outback, and used the mounting kit if you could maybe post a pic, or let me know if it's deep enough to cause a problem for the knob. Otherwise, I will have to go with the more expensive unit, with the buttons on the bottom panel..and no knobs like so...

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH 2DIN 7 Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH 2DIN 7" Touchscreen In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver: Electronics
lattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattle View Post
Hello..

I've decided to to a complete overhaul of my sound system on my '13 premium. The stock 6 speaker unit is just terrible and I think I've found it in the budget to to a correct upgrade.
...my suggestion, follow this guide. Pretty much covers everything from A to Z on doing this with a 4th gen OB. Have fun.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...stall-log.html
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!..I actually had that guide bookmarked. And I am doing almost exactly what he is doing...minus the rear camera and amp. He's using a different type of radio than me though....so I'm still not sure about the knob. I may have to just try it out and see if it works...if not...Amazon has a good return policy...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Premium CVT

My thread might help. Sorry, I've got a newborn in my arms right now otherwise I could help more. Search around the electronics subforum for more info on aftermarket stereos.

Pioneer Appradio 2: Installed in 2012 Outback

I also have a thread about an under seat subwoofer. Let your fingers do the walking...

There is another dash kit out there that angles the head unit flush with the dash.

These are somewhat interesting. I think somebody on legacygt has a review.
http://www.autodvdgps.com/model_sele...312&car_year=0

If you're already on the internet, why don't you look it up for yourself?
rockthebeef is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Hey rock...i missed that one. Looks great.
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium

Quote:
Hello..

I'm going double din GPS, a Pioneer AVIC-X94obt

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X940BT In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen and Built-In Bluetooth: Car Electronics

And Polk 6.5" speakers....along with the 8" Sound Ordinance powered flat Sub that goes under the drivers seat.

I was just about to pull the trigger on this and order, and one thing kept me from going forward. I am using the Subaru specific mounting kit from Crutchfield, and noticed the way the unit sits in the dash it has an angled recess. The pioneer unit I picked has a knob on the side...and that recess might impede access to the knob.

I know all this is very specific, but if anybody has done an upgrade on their outback, and used the mounting kit if you could maybe post a pic, or let me know if it's deep enough to cause a problem for the knob. Otherwise, I will have to go with the more expensive unit, with the buttons on the bottom panel..and no knobs like so...

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH 2DIN 7" Touchscreen In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver: Electronics
As noted by another member, my guide should have most all the steps laid out for you as well as explanation of any pitfalls I encountered.

I doubt you're going to find a dash mounting kit that doesn't have the stereo recessed slightly. If it wasn't, you'd have the top of the stereo jutting out, which is even worse IMO. Most of the head units (especially the double DIN varieties) have the ability to angle the front display.

I don't know how big a deal accessing the knob would be but I don't see it being a deal breaker for myself. Get the knobbed version (if that's what you want) and worst case scenario you end up spinning it from the right side. /shrug

I'd recommend getting the wiring harness from svxdc for convenience's sake. I got mine online and ended up having to put more work into it to get the same functionality.

Removing the stereo is seriously a 2 minute affair if you know what you're doing. If you have the flip up cubby door, just pull on it. Don't worry about breaking it - it has some strong hinges. It's also much easier than trying to pry it out from the sides and potentially marring the fascia. If that space is filled with other controls, you'll have to go in from the bottom and PUSH out from behind. Doors and seating take more time but it's not terrible. Ask if you have any questions.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have the previous model AVIC-900 series in my wife's car. She loves it.
hman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

my wife had an avic in her last impreza, its still sitting in the garage waiting to go into her new impreza. good stereo, i wish i would've gotten that instead of my kenwood.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
As noted by another member, my guide should have most all the steps laid out for you as well as explanation of any pitfalls I encountered.

I doubt you're going to find a dash mounting kit that doesn't have the stereo recessed slightly. If it wasn't, you'd have the top of the stereo jutting out, which is even worse IMO. Most of the head units (especially the double DIN varieties) have the ability to angle the front display.

I don't know how big a deal accessing the knob would be but I don't see it being a deal breaker for myself. Get the knobbed version (if that's what you want) and worst case scenario you end up spinning it from the right side. /shrug

I'd recommend getting the wiring harness from svxdc for convenience's sake. I got mine online and ended up having to put more work into it to get the same functionality.

Removing the stereo is seriously a 2 minute affair if you know what you're doing. If you have the flip up cubby door, just pull on it. Don't worry about breaking it - it has some strong hinges. It's also much easier than trying to pry it out from the sides and potentially marring the fascia. If that space is filled with other controls, you'll have to go in from the bottom and PUSH out from behind. Doors and seating take more time but it's not terrible. Ask if you have any questions.
Thanks for that....I had actually studied your write up on your install before I put this thread up. Thanks for taking the time to document that for the rest of us!! I ordered my speakers, sub, and dynamat today...and ordered the 20 pin from SVXdc. For now...I'm putting the HU on hold until I figure out what I want to do. I think I'm going to lean away from a knob...and go with a larger screen. I need to go to best buy or some where with a good selection of HU's and play with them to see what I want. There is a more flush mounted adaptor plate I found from Metra...but it apparently requires some sawing under the dash which I would rather avoid. My concern about the knob is about 25% functionality and 75% appearance. I would like this entire thing to look as stock as possible. Thanks for the advice....and I 'm sure I will be referencing your post many times!

Also...just out of curiosity...I noticed on your post a link to replace control arms/tie rods. At what mileage did you have to do this? I was hoping to get at least 100k before I started having to do any suspension work..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5i Premium

Quote:
Also...just out of curiosity...I noticed on your post a link to replace control arms/tie rods. At what mileage did you have to do this? I was hoping to get at least 100k before I started having to do any suspension work..
My own stupidity. I was pulling a u-turn at a neighborhood intersection and clipped a curb corner. It bent both the outer tie rod and the control arm. Luckily it's all "fairly" easy to replace. I even replaced two wheel studs last week (also because of my stupidity).
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: