Starting and warm up - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #31 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint J VT View Post
Some people even scrape the snow and ice off their hood and trunk. In this climate, forget trying to keep your car looking like new. If you want to do THAT, you will be keeping it in a heated garage eight months out of the year. If you are going to use it, it will certainly look WELL-USED before even five years, or so, is up!
You should clear the snow off the hood and roof of your car. Not only is it illegal to drive with it on there in some states it can be unsafe as well. It can slide forward over your windshield, blocking your forward view. It can also pose a threat to the people behind you.

It takes all of about 15 seconds to brush it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

Start and drive it off easily for the first few miles as mentioned. Yes AWD is needed in Florida because of the soft sand. Clearly whoever posted that doesn't live here. Florida in the summer to put the jetski in and out and use in soft sand and winter up north for snow...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Start and drive it off easily for the first few miles as mentioned. Yes AWD is needed in Florida because of the soft sand. Clearly whoever posted that doesn't live here. Florida in the summer to put the jetski in and out and use in soft sand and winter up north for snow...
I've found that people who live near prime boating locations more often than not haven't the slightest clue about the said prime boating and never mess with boats or boat ramps. LOL

So fair guess 99.99% of Full time Florida residents only need a pair of floral shorts - matching shirt and a 2wd car to run over to the bingo hall with.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #34 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 3.6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBnube View Post
Yep, As much as I yearned for an old school temp gauge in my 2011 I have to say after getting one in my 2013----I miss that blue light.
My 2010 Limited has the blue light, and I actually like it. The four-state "smart idiot light" gives almost as much information as a real gauge (blue light, nothing, blinking red, full red), and I even like the eco-gauge. The blue light reminds me to take it easy until it goes off.

I believe it setting off right away, and just going easy on the gas until the blue light is off. You can argue that this is actually better for the car, compared to letting it sit at high-idle, at 1500-2000 rpm. For one thing, the car reaches normal operating temperature faster when it is under a bit of load, versus idling. Not only for warming the oil, but also for getting heat out of the heater.

That said, if I still lived in Chicago, and had to keep my car outside, I'd be real tempted to have remote start...
Bobaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by there4igraham View Post
You should clear the snow off the hood and roof of your car. Not only is it illegal to drive with it on there in some states it can be unsafe as well. It can slide forward over your windshield, blocking your forward view. It can also pose a threat to the people behind you.

It takes all of about 15 seconds to brush it off.
I was talking about them using the ICE-SCRAPER on the paint, if you didn't get it. Kind of like using the snow shovel on the hood!

I do brush the snow off. Heavy, wet snow on top of ice takes a lot longer than 15 seconds, in fact it even takes longer than 15 MINUTES!

I let the heat of the warming vehicle melt a lot of it which then just slides off, to be tossed aside by my snowblower.

What do tractor trailer drivers do with the 18 wheeler box trailers. I have never seen one of those drivers go up a 20' ladder to get the snow and ice off the trailer roofs - HAVE YOU?

If they did, you would hear of a lot of them slipping off the roof in the process and perhaps never walking again. That is if they survive the fall. Suppose the entire sheet of ice decides to slide off with the driver standing up there, trying to clear the roof!
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint J VT View Post
I was talking about them using the ICE-SCRAPER on the paint, if you didn't get it. Kind of like using the snow shovel on the hood!

I do brush the snow off. Heavy, wet snow on top of ice takes a lot longer than 15 seconds, in fact it even takes longer than 15 MINUTES!

I let the heat of the warming vehicle melt a lot of it which then just slides off, to be tossed aside by my snowblower.

What do tractor trailer drivers do with the 18 wheeler box trailers. I have never seen one of those drivers go up a 20' ladder to get the snow and ice off the trailer roofs - HAVE YOU?

If they did, you would hear of a lot of them slipping off the roof in the process and perhaps never walking again. That is if they survive the fall. Suppose the entire sheet of ice decides to slide off with the driver standing up there, trying to clear the roof!
Heavens no! Don't use a scraper on the roof and hood. Get a brush.

I was of course referring to passenger vehicles. There are a lot of lazy folks where I live and I've had large chunks of snow and ice catch wind and fly through the air at unsuspecting drivers. Very scary. I always avoid semi's because you never know what's hiding up top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: