Starting and warm up - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: '13 Ouback 3.6 limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Starting and warm up

This is my first new car in 20 years and I'm wondering about the warm up procedure for the car. Do you need to let the car idle settle from its initial higher setting before putting the car in reverse/drive? The manual is vague?

What say you all?
lrjet55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback: 2.5i Limited with Moonroof package

I park in my garage (usually temp is above freezing). I start the vehicle and back out of my garage after only a few seconds. I take it easy as the car warms up, and the heater usually starts blowing at about 2 miles (at which point the temp gauge indicates the car is in normal operating temp).

So nothing special here.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrjet55 View Post
This is my first new car in 20 years and I'm wondering about the warm up procedure for the car. Do you need to let the car idle settle from its initial higher setting before putting the car in reverse/drive? The manual is vague?

What say you all?
Nope - the modern cars are designed that you start up and go ... also oils now are thin enough to lubricate all components even if/when cold. After you start get moving at less than 1000 RMP until the engine warms up. Since you seem to live in FL letting the car run is a waste of money and increases pollution. That's what I do in FL....
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver

Agree with everything said here for the most part.
On the days where it hovers around 0F I do let it sit and run for probably no more than 2 minutes before I gently drive off. 0F is cold, so call me a freak but I give it a little time.
This isn't too often though, a handful of times each winter.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Sometimes in Colorado - Sometimes in Pennsylvania - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor
Car: 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair - what's left.

lrjet55

You're from FL. No warm-up is needed.

I don't think you'll ever need AWD there either.

Now if you are living in the COLD NORTH like in 'LA (Lower Alabama) you might just need to get in and drive.
Ali_pine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift

I agree with others, just start it up and drive on most days. At 30 degrees (F) below zero, I will start it and let it sit for about ten to fifteen minutes, then start driving very slowly until everything is well-lubed and greased. I can imagine the consistency of the wheel bearing grease at 30 to 40 degrees below zero.

Any other days, we just start it and go, typically driving easy until the engine is warmed up. Very few times would I floor the car for any reason until the engine is at least somewhat warmed up, the colder it is outside, the more easy I am on the vehicle (I treat them all the same).

When I first started driving in the early 70s, I had a fairly new car, still on the 36,000 mile warranty. One morning at about 15 degrees (F), I started it and immediately floored it down the street. When it wound-up to about 5,000 RPM's in first gear the timing chain broke. I then learned my lesson to take it easy on an engine that is not yet hot, let alone NOT-YET WARM!
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Not sure if it holds true for the new (2010-current) cars but I have found that I can blip the throttle to get the engine down from high idle to normal idle just after startup. This has the effect of reducing the lash going into gear (5EAT) but has never caused me to stall.
Rallitek sway bars F&R + AVO rear sway bar reinforcement brackets
JDM divorced stereo/HVAC controller, JVC DD stereo
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free

You guys are nuts. Hop in and drive reasonably and you will be fine. No need for warm up.

You are saying you get in and sit in your car for 10-15 minutes when it is 30 degrees?? There are no ill effects to grease at 30 degrees. If it gets to MINUS 30 then you should think about Arctic Condition grease for wheel bearings.

OK if you have auto start and want to thaw things out (ice on windshield) before heading out, but you are just wasting gas and wear on your engine. It is actually much more beneficial to be moving than to sit idleing.

You just don't want the car to be cold and flog it. After about 1-2 minutes of driving it should be good to go for anything that requires more throttle.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_pine View Post
lrjet55

You're from FL. No warm-up is needed.

I don't think you'll ever need AWD there either.

Now if you are living in the COLD NORTH like in 'LA (Lower Alabama) you might just need to get in and drive.
What kind of conclusion was that? I do frequent trips skiing (Calif, Colorado and Whistler, BC) and therefore I do need it! Are you saying that Subaru should close all dealerships in the South because here people don't need 4 wheel drive... amazing....yes, bad sense of humor it its best! Where is Stuart anyway....
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium

I let the engine idle until the RPM drop from ~2000 to ~1500, this usually takes 30 seconds. Sometimes I'll start the engine then put my work stuff in the back seat, by the time I get in the driver's seat I only have a short time to wait. I park in a garage all night so I'm not really concerned about the rest of the fluids unless it's REALLY cold out.
hallux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: