Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Gen 4: 2010-2014 (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/)
-   -   Eyesight Performance (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/50240-eyesight-performance.html)

lambanlaa 11-21-2012 04:54 AM

Eyesight Performance

Hi,

I'm a new Subaru owner and I have to say, I am quite happy with my purchase of a 2013 Outback. I had the ability to order exactly what I wanted and one of the options I selected was Eyesight.

I would like to know others' experience with Eyesight.

For me:

Pros: Works great, lessens my driver fatigue, keeps me alert.

Cons: I cannot keep my work or MVA handicap hangtag on the mirror or mount my EZPass transponder on the windshield for fear of interfering with Eyesight.

Has anyone had different experiences?

fatabbot 11-21-2012 06:27 AM

See this thread:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...t-reviews.html

Se7enLC 11-21-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambanlaa (Post 481790)
Cons: I cannot keep my work or MVA handicap hangtag on the mirror or mount my EZPass transponder on the windshield for fear of interfering with Eyesight.

I put my EZ Pass on the windshield and haven't had any problems. Normally, I put the EZ Pass up behind the rearview mirror to the right of where it's glued to the windshield. Since that's where the camera is on this car, I didn't put it there - I put it directly below the mirror attachment point. It's not in the way of the cameras at all, and it's not in my line of sight, either. Win-Win.

Not sure about a hanging tag on the mirror. You're probably not supposed to leave them on the mirror all the time anyway - something about an obstructed view :-P

PROS: So far I've gotten at least a few ACTUAL alerts. Lane departure when I actually DID depart the lane, Obstacle Detected when there was a car in front of me.

One notable event happened when I was on a 2-lane-each-way road. I was in the right lane following a large truck. There was another truck riding pretty much in my blind spot to my left. I was aware of it, but I needed to get into the left lane. Plan was: accelerate, look left, merge left. Just as I was accelerating and looking over my left shoulder, I heard a beep. The truck in front of me picked that moment to slow down! I wasn't in danger of an accident (plenty of space), but it was still a useful thing to be alerted of - all the car knew was that I was accelerating quickly towards a truck that was slowing.

CONS: It doesn't work at all in the rain, bright sunlight, or when the window is fogged/frosted. That's expected, of course, but there is an in-between where the system is not completely disabled, but it's just not as effective. You just have to be aware of it and not rely on the adaptive cruise in the rain, because it's not so good about detecting other cars.

nagarjuna 11-21-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

I put my EZ Pass on the windshield and haven't had any problems. Normally, I put the EZ Pass up behind the rearview mirror to the right of where it's glued to the windshield. Since that's where the camera is on this car, I didn't put it there - I put it directly below the mirror attachment point. It's not in the way of the cameras at all, and it's not in my line of sight, either.
The Eyesight owner's manual specifically says not to do this. It *is* in the cameras' line of sight, as the drawing in the manual shows. I wouldn't chance it.

EZ Pass offered me an external transponder because of Eyesight. I declined, because it mounts on the front license plate bracket and is too vulnerable to damage. I just hold it up to the windshield when it's needed.

Tom28 11-21-2012 11:53 AM

Eyesight will work in the rain. A blinding rain on the other hand... it turns off.

I put a Valentine 1 radar detector in the center of the windshield recently and that seemed to cause no ill-effects to ES.

lambanlaa 11-21-2012 02:37 PM

Thanks for the Feedback on Eyesight

I appreciate the comments on Eyesight.

Continue to enjoy your Subarus!

Lambanlaa

Se7enLC 11-21-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagarjuna (Post 481862)
The Eyesight owner's manual specifically says not to do this. It *is* in the cameras' line of sight, as the drawing in the manual shows. I wouldn't chance it.

No, I'm pretty sure it's out of the line of sight. I said I *didn't* put it next to the mirror, I put it under the mirror. If you were to draw a line from a camera through the eyesight, you'd just see hood.

In any case, it doesn't effect it, EyeSight is working perfectly fine.

lambanlaa 01-04-2013 04:17 AM

Non-Rearview Mirror Hangtag Holder for OBs with Eyesight

If you have MVA/DMV or other hangtags that must be displayed, this item does not block Eyesight, and it does not interfere with the wires around the rearview mirror.

<table class="bodyText" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 1.25em; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); table-layout: fixed; "><tbody><tr><td valign="top" style="font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; ">VisorTag® Vertical Mount VTD110 by JL Safety- The Best Way to Protect, Display & Swing Away a Handicap Parking Placard. Best Handicapped Placard Cover and Protector on the Market. Don't Settle for a Cheap Handicap Cover that you purchase over and over, get a VisorTag® for life. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. Patented & Proudly Made in USA.

Permalink: Amazon.com: VisorTag® Vertical Mount VTD110 by JL Safety- The Best Way to Protect, Display & Swing Away a Handicap Parking Placard. Best Handicapped Placard Cover and Protector on the Market. Don't Settle for a Cheap Handicap Cover that you purch

</td></tr></tbody></table>

tob 01-04-2013 09:09 AM

Funny video from Subaru

"It is the second volume of minicar movie
with Subaru's renowned technology "EyeSight".

With microspeaker attached to minicars,
you can hear the great music performance
when it runs.

*Actual handout minicar does not have microspeaker."

lambanlaa 01-04-2013 01:25 PM

Super cool!

Lambanlaa