New 2013 - tires - how many weights do you have on your wheels??? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2013 OB Limited 3.6R w/ Nav & Eyesight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 2013 - tires - how many weights do you have on your wheels???

Hi all - I just got a 2013 3.6 Limited, and I've got a fair amount of pulsing vibration in the steering wheel on smooth roads. It's kinda weird - like it vibrates on and off in 1 sec intervals or so. I have an appt scheduled with the dealer on Tuesday.

My question - how many weights do you all have on your wheels? I looked at my wheels and I've got 5-8 weights on every single wheel - isn't that kinda weird for brand new tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.
That doesn't sound right.

2003 Outback: "Kaylee". 143,000 and counting.
Basics: Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30, PureOne oil filter, Fram air filter, Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF, Mobil 1 75W90, Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Mods: Fumoto oil drain valve, Phillips VisionPlus low beams, HIR1 Phillips high beam upgrade, Nokya Hyper Yellow fog lights.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
in the 'old days' people were encouraged to reject any tire that required more than 4 ounces to balance. but, that was before TPMS and alloy wheels were common.

are the weights in 1/4oz increments?

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
Is this your first set of Continental tires, especially ContiProConacts?

If so, get used to it. I've had these exact tires (different sizes) on 3 different vehicles, and all of them have NEVER had a perfect balance despite multiple road force balancing. And all of mine have 6+ weights on each as well, plus a weight on the inside lip on the Outback. They are about 98% balanced now after a great tech at my local Subaru dealership worked on them, but don't expect them to hold a balance well for more than 8,000 miles or so. It's quite a shame because every other part of this car is so smooth and quiet, these tires really hamper that a bit. I'm looking forward to the day that I can put another set of Michelin's on, they've never given me such problems and have always been smooth as silk, albeit slightly more expensive
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutbürger View Post
Is this your first set of Continental tires, especially ContiProConacts?

If so, get used to it. I've had these exact tires (different sizes) on 3 different vehicles, and all of them have NEVER had a perfect balance despite multiple road force balancing. And all of mine have 6+ weights on each as well, plus a weight on the inside lip on the Outback. They are about 98% balanced now after a great tech at my local Subaru dealership worked on them, but don't expect them to hold a balance well for more than 8,000 miles or so. It's quite a shame because every other part of this car is so smooth and quiet, these tires really hamper that a bit. I'm looking forward to the day that I can put another set of Michelin's on, they've never given me such problems and have always been smooth as silk, albeit slightly more expensive
^ what he said. Don't expect to see more than 8000- 9000 miles before they start shaking the car pretty good again. Also do not be surprised that you have a tire or two that must stay on the back due to being out of round to the point that it will shake the steering wheel either way. I suffered for about 20,000 miles with this - finally replaced them at 40,000 miles with BFG touring tires WAY WAY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Better tire also a bit stiffer and has improved the handling just a tiny bit. Tread pattern is very similar so all weather performance will probably be similar. Mileage doesn't seem to be impacted possibly slightly better with the BFG touring tires. Too early to tell for sure. But BIG improvement!

I see Subaru listened to its owners and put Geolander tires on the new XV. Smart move
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM

I just stepped outside and looked at my 2013 Ltd. Number of weights on each wheel are 6-0-1-5.

To me the bank of 5 or 6 does look like an awful lot of weight.

Mine rides perfect though. I'm hoping my Continentals wear better than yours, sailor...

On a slightly different topic, I noticed with my owners manual that I got warranty information for several (maybe 5?) different brands of tires. Does Subaru ever put anything but Continentals on Outbacks?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM

I did too back in 2010 got like three different brand warranty sheets. Not sure why they do that possibly more along the lines of advertising that tire makers pay to have their sheets included in the owners package.

My experience with both of my subarus is that 40K given the type of use we have the tires have been pretty much done with zero safe winter tread left. I wouldn't expect much more than that even with very light easy going use.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM

Car: 2012,OB 3.6R Limited/Moonroof Pkg.
Funny that you guys ask how mnay weights we have on our wheel, at first i thought it was a rims have a problem for not being round. Now I know that the problem is the tire, I have about 8 in one set and some are 3 , 4 and 5 for the rest ot the tire. Oh well hopefully when my tire worn out I won't see much of those lead around my rims:-)

2005 Honda EX CR-V
2003 Mercedes Benz C Class Sport
2000 Mercedes Benz ML 320 SOLD
1996 Honda CIvic EX
1994 Toyota Pick up ExCab
1991 Nissan KingCab SOLD
Road Bike for my Fitness time
"LIFE IS SHORT SO ENJOY IT"
USN (Ret)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXMLowner View Post
Funny that you guys ask how mnay weights we have on our wheel, at first i thought it was a rims have a problem for not being round. Now I know that the problem is the tire, I have about 8 in one set and some are 3 , 4 and 5 for the rest ot the tire. Oh well hopefully when my tire worn out I won't see much of those lead around my rims:-)
A good indication of a crummy tire is how much weight change they need at the next balancing say 9000 miles. My tire shop said the weight change was very large between the prior balancing and the new balancing. Which they said was abnormal for most decent tires I recall he said even half the changed weight would have been a fairly large change for most quality tires.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
Also see the ylw/rd dots/guides on the sidewall? But no, they just ignore it and throw a bunch of wts to balance it. And that’s not all folks, there’s the wavy/bumps (defects) too on the SW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: