Add Backup Camera? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcycle View Post
At least in the 2010 Limited rear view camera wiring is not present if you did not have NAV.
Can anyone confirm this is correct?

I want to add the backup camera mirror to my 2010 Legacy Limited. Mine already has the Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror, HK w/ no Nav.
faded-a-fool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Unless Subaru forgot to put it in my car it is not there. I think you can surmise how I know that.
willcycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
DrD

Car: 2012 LGT

I thought the 2013 limited with the HK system (non-NAV) had the camera already - I was looking at one at the dealer a while back, and saw it in action... odd that yours doesn't have it. There's even a pic on the cars101 site showing it in action

For the harness, based on the '12 service manual (assuming '13 is similar) there is an "extension cable" which goes from a connector on the main rear harness (on the drivers side of the car) then extends into the liftgate where the camera is. I would guess that would be omitted if there were no camera, but the connector on the main harness should be there, i think... The legacy is similar in that there is a harness which goes into the liftgate which is different when the camera is present (one version has the connector, the other does not - also, for the legacy there is one version of the trunk lid which has the cutout for the camera, and another where it has not been punched out)
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded-a-fool View Post
Can anyone confirm this is correct?

I want to add the backup camera mirror to my 2010 Legacy Limited. Mine already has the Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror, HK w/ no Nav.
willcycle is correct. I too have a 2010 Limited non-nav and there is no wiring present in the harnesses for the B/U camera system. I have the wiring diagram and chased the wires to be sure. I installed a system made up from a CCD camera from Ebay and seperate monitor affixed to the windshield just above the right side of the rearview mirror. Total cost $45 and 2 hours time. Well worth the investment.
sgtmaj27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi, I ant to install the Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror Rear view monitor in my Subaru Outback Premium, with no moonroof instead just Homelink/Compass/Autodim mirror. I was reading the forum, and found the camera and the mirror.. and the installer too. The question is that I found cheaper mirror on ebay, it is used and has only a pigtail, instead all wire. Will I be able to install it with existing wire plus the one for reverse trigger and video? Or I'd better to buy a full kit (about $200 more)
Or it is not hard to get a general wire for this purpose.
I have no knowledge in electrics, and this mirror is not cheap, so I really want to know if I am not doing anything wrong.
Thanks.
subarovod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Pretty sure all the back up camera systems today are wireless meaning the camera is wired for power at the backup tail light and sends video via wireless feed to the receiver. Receiver can be the slick review mirror with inset small screen which is the most natural and logically located set up or to a dash mounted screen ie NAV unit etc.

Installing them these days are fairly simple due to this wireless aspect of the video feed.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Camera is CCD Sony, it is not wireless, mirror is Gentex GENK3345 but with no wire, only pigtail. As I understand there should be wire for video (may be from camera) then for reverse shift, for mirror to show camera and for camera to activate (that I guess is connected to back lights, but do I need wire for mirror too?) I can buy mirror with no additional wire, but is it easy to find out what wire I need and get it after, or I have to get the complete unit. New mirror cost like a laptop with 17" screen.

subarovod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Droidster:
Your wiring harness should be in place. From what I remember when I looked into this all Limited come with the harness in place.
When I reseached it I found this camera which was an excellent choice
CCD Sony Car Reverse Backup Camera for Subaru Forester Outback Impreza Sedan | eBay

Excellent low cost CCD camera which fits right in one of the license plate lights and this monitor which is a plug and play
Rear View Mirror 3 5"Backup Camera Display Fit Honda Civic Accord Odyssey Subaru | eBay

I had planned to do this for a friend's new Forester but she decided to get a smaller car.

If I was looking to install a backup camera in my OB if I didn't have one the above system is what I would use doing a cost vs performance comparision.
Hope this helps some...
Thank you for the links!!!

I searched and searched ebay for a camera like that.

My rearview mirror in my Forester is pretty baddly strached from the previous owner.. . So I figured I'd just throw in a rearview unit while I'm at it. For $20 why not?
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Been there, done that:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ew-mirror.html

The Chinese camera's are as "Sony" as my big toe. But they work acceptably well. Cheap enough to keep a spare.

I wouldn't use anything other than a Gentex mirror, these are the OEM choice. You can have them with any combination of features...homelink, compass, monitor, etc. But you can't add features to an existing mirror.
mxfrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

vr4:
Glad it helped you out. Where the camera comes I don't know but those are the links that others have used in other forums with success...
I had planned to replace an OEM Subaru Forester mirror and add the camera. Person changed their mind. Love to know how this works out...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: