3.6r using oil - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a 2011 as well. I’ve yet to add any oil between oil changes; thank god it is down quart most times. I had a 1987 GL10 turbo and it used a quart every 2000 miles like clockwork. Sold it with 150,000 and still running well. Out of all the vehicles I’ve owned most have used some oil and I do believe it varies and doesn’t relate to the longevity you can expect out of the engine.

Personally, I’d rather have a vehicle that uses a little bit of oil between changes. A quart every 4000 miles is a little bit. The backyard mechanic in me thinks - if the rings and value guides are so tight they never allow any usage – do I have any ring or valve guide wear due to insufficient lube taking place?

I do think a quart every 1200 miles is too much for a new engine. I suspect that’s a “we don’t have to give you a new engine policy” and is self serving.
CentralTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: Not a Subaru

2011 Outback 3.6R here. I burn about a quart every 5k. Currently at 35k miles and have been assured by the dealer that's normal.

For this generation Outback they have added a yellow low oil light in addition to the red no oil light. So if the yellow light fires up just add some oil. They have also lengthened the maintenance interval to 7,500 miles so I think they are anticipating greater oil consumption between changes.

Still, this is the first new car that I have ever purchased that consumes oil at a concerning rate and have been told its normal by the dealer and this forum. And I have owned many cars and none have ever used oil anywhere near this.
tank fuzzbutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: White 2011 Outback 3.6 R Limited

At 42K miles my 3.6 doesn't use any oil at all.

Mods; King springs, hood deflector, window vents, 2" Hidden Hitch, transmission oil cooler, seat-covers, Tanabe strut bar, 19 MM RSB, Primitive skid plates, K&N air filter, tinted windows, blacked out foglight surrounds, Wheel arch moldings.
OutbackUFO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Limited 3.6R Pearl White, Moonroof, Protection Package, Side Molding, Puddle Lights, interior lighting package and STI RASB

22k and I just checked the oil, down about 1/8 from full at 4500 miles from last change and I have used synthetic since first change at 2800 miles. I did the break in by the book, very easy on it, lots of variance in speeds and loads. No problems.
Caps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

Two possibilities for oil consumption, assuming that the engine is well run in:

First, it is possible to have a defective PCV valve cause oil consumption in the volumes you are experiencing, even in a brand new engine.

Second, (And this is anecdotal, not scientific) I have found that the use of Redline oil in an engine that is otherwise healthy but uses oil, can somehow scrub the rings in, or maybe free the rings from sticky ring grooves. The effect does not end when the Redline is changed out for something else. It doesn't hurt to subject the engine to some full throttle bursts as well, with or without the Redline. Good luck.
4wheeldog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldog View Post
Two possibilities for oil consumption, assuming that the engine is well run in:

First, it is possible to have a defective PCV valve cause oil consumption in the volumes you are experiencing, even in a brand new engine.

Second, (And this is anecdotal, not scientific) I have found that the use of Redline oil in an engine that is otherwise healthy but uses oil, can somehow scrub the rings in, or maybe free the rings from sticky ring grooves. The effect does not end when the Redline is changed out for something else. It doesn't hurt to subject the engine to some full throttle bursts as well, with or without the Redline. Good luck.
good call on the PCV - def worth checking out.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklehman View Post
I have a 2011 3.6R Limited with 30K miles. I bought it used with 23K. I have done 2 oil changes. Between both it was low on oil. ...
What kind of engine oil are you using? Dino, Semi or Full Synthetic? What brand? Do you know anything about driving habits of your car's previous owner? Was your car mostly driven on highways or in the cities?
Any of these variables could contribute to an excessive oil consumption.
If the engine was over stressed during its break-in period then you almost guaranteed to have this effect, which cannot be corrected without rebuilding the engine. If your car engine was not abused, then try to change your oil brand to something better. I would vouch for Amsoil 5W-30 either OE or Signature series. I use it in my 3.6R OB from the very first oil change and the oil stays at the same level until the next oil change after 5K - 7K miles.
SubiTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

I have a 2013. I just took it in for its first oil change. I bunted about a 1/2 quart in 3500 miles. If that holds true over time tat is a quart every 7500 miles. That is basically very little oil in my opinion. I have no concerns and am quite happy with the consumption rate.

I have no idea if it is true, but I am told the boxer engines tend to burn a bit more oil than a v6 or inline engine. Probably folklore.

Switching to full synthetic this oil change.
8pack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.

This may or may not be of any relevance.

Try changing the oil brand that you use. My F-150 drinks Mobile1 like an alcoholic at a Christmas party drinks at an open bar. Put Penzoil in it and the bar closes. Same weight. Same type (synthetic). It's kinda weird.

My 2000 Jetta never drank a drop of Mobile1. And I intend to try it out in the 2013 OB when it needs its oil changed next month.
Tom28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
I have a 2013. I just took it in for its first oil change. I bunted about a 1/2 quart in 3500 miles. If that holds true over time tat is a quart every 7500 miles. That is basically very little oil in my opinion. I have no concerns and am quite happy with the consumption rate.

I have no idea if it is true, but I am told the boxer engines tend to burn a bit more oil than a v6 or inline engine. Probably folklore.

Switching to full synthetic this oil change.
2013 comes with synthetic and is required every oil change. Check your owners manual.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: