3.6r using oil - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
2013 comes with synthetic and is required every oil change. Check your owners manual.
My understanding is that's only true with the 2.5l engine.
ob2011 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

from cars101 - FWIW;

Quote:
Oil-
2.5L models- 0w-20 synthetic oil is required.
3.6L models- 5w-30, regular oil is ok, synthetic is recommended
Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob2011 View Post
My understanding is that's only true with the 2.5l engine.
Woops, I forgot some people still buy those dinosaurs.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i

I experienced the same thing as 8pack and agree.Low oil level on new Subaru
str8up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #25 (permalink)

Fellow Subaru owners -- Oil discussions are like religious discussions on the motorcycle boards that I frequent. They are never solved, are always ongoing, and often spawn a few good threads.

I have a 2011 2.5 OB and can offer these thoughts:

1) I have 3 motorcycles -- a 2005 Victory Hammer (air - oil cooled), a 1994 Honda Dual Sport (air cooled), and a 1998 Harley EG classic (air cooled). The Victory burns 0 oil. The Harley seems to burn little, and the Honda burns a predictable amount.

2) No car I have ever bought since I graduated from college (1989) has burned a significant amount of oil, or so much so that I needed to add oil between changes. I even retired a Mazda 626 Turbo at 213K miles and gave it to my cleaning guy and it didn't burn oil.

3) Using synthetic vs. regular oils won't make a difference in oil consumption. The big advantage with synthetics is that you can stretch out your oil change interval and be more green and friendly to te environment. For my motorcycles I just change them once a year and forget about it (they are all out of warranty).

4) Things get more complicated if your vehicle is in warranty and you cannot use the extended oil change intervals allowed by synthetics.

I have no knowledge of what Subaru says, but in general, an engine that consumes more that 1Q in < 3K miles doesn't seem right to me -- just my opinion. And I would only change the oil every 5-7.5K and can promise my wife would never check the oil in between.

Regards,

MetroWestMA
MetroWestMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
2013 comes with synthetic and is required every oil change. Check your owners manual.

Double check your owners manual.....the 2.5 specs out with Synthetic - 0-w20, the 3.6 with Dino oil, 5-w30..............Synthetic is optional on the 3.6. Comes from the factory with dino...

I switched to synthetic. Dealer said it was "unnecessary". They are probably right but every car I have had for the last 20 years has run full synthetic (all turbos) and never had a turbo fail or any sludging or other oil related problems...
8pack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #27 (permalink)

I have a 2011 Outback with the 3.6R. I bought in June with 12,000 miles. I got the engine oil light after about 4000 miles after the original purchase. I assumed the non Subaru dealer I bought it at had a low level to start with so just added oil. My next oil change was at the Subaru dealership. Now between oil changes the oil light went on again. I had to add a liter (quart) to top it up. I had synthetic used at the dealership. I will be going in shortly for another oil change but I am convinced and concerned it IS using oil also. I expect the dealer to play games with me but will see. Love the car but am very concerned with this issue. I do not know the history of why it was sold with so few miles or who owned it.
gdt5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #28 (permalink)

gdt5:
I called Subaru and they told me that I should be happy that my car is operating normally. They won't do anything unless it burns 1 quart in 1,200 miles. I would assume I would be laying smoke screens before that ever happens.

The engine has a 60K warranty, so I am going to wait mine out until 50K miles or so and then sell it. I prefer to keep my cars to well over 100K, but not one that uses oil like this.
jacklehman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklehman View Post
gdt5:
I called Subaru and they told me that I should be happy that my car is operating normally. They won't do anything unless it burns 1 quart in 1,200 miles. I would assume I would be laying smoke screens before that ever happens.

The engine has a 60K warranty, so I am going to wait mine out until 50K miles or so and then sell it. I prefer to keep my cars to well over 100K, but not one that uses oil like this.
I don't think you will see visible oil smoke at 1200mi/qt.
Some years back, I drove a '78 camaro that consumed 1qt every 100 miles through leaky valve guide seals. No visible smoke but it did foul spark plugs.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Limited 3.6R

I'm having same issues with my 12 3.6R. Low level oil indicator would light up after 1500 miles and I would do at least 2 top off before next service. BTW, I have the maintenance plan and Subaru said its normal
MTBrikk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: