3.6r using oil - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Car: 13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklehman View Post
gdt5:
I called Subaru and they told me that I should be happy that my car is operating normally. They won't do anything unless it burns 1 quart in 1,200 miles. I would assume I would be laying smoke screens before that ever happens.

The engine has a 60K warranty, so I am going to wait mine out until 50K miles or so and then sell it. I prefer to keep my cars to well over 100K, but not one that uses oil like this.
You can possibly get some help depending on how determined you are.

Get some plastic sign board material and permanent markers along with a stencil kit because you want it looking professional.

Make a sign for the hatch that says something too the effect

My NEW Subaru
burns a quart of oil
a month. Subaru claims
perfectly normal
for new Subaru's

Find a reason to swing by the dealer, oil filter, wiper blade, whatever as long as you have a legitimate reason to be there and park right in front of the main showroom door.

Trust me it works
I had a new Ford that only wore a sign for 5 minutes before the sales manager (dealers son) ripped it off my truck and we went toe to toe about he has no right to touch my truck, I walked away with a letter signed by him that the dealership would pay my $100 deductible for the life of the warranty.
Cobalt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

Yes and this comes from several independent mechanics and they all say certain models exp 2.5 will use a quart a every 1000 to 1500 miles and even the 3.6R all due to having no sleeves in the cylinder wall only 3 rings. Strange but this is exceptable by Subaru. Many cars today do use oil in small amounts. So being that is why oil changes are 3000mi and to check your oil often as one mechanic has seen why he is doing so many swap outs or rebuilds on the 2.5 as many owners are not aware that it will use a quart and then run out of oil.
mark211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

I called Subaru and talked to them. They assured me it is normal. They were so confident it wouldn't be an issue that they extended my warranty to 100K for free.

Works for me.
jacklehman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #34 (permalink)

Car: 13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklehman View Post
I called Subaru and talked to them. They assured me it is normal. They were so confident it wouldn't be an issue that they extended my warranty to 100K for free.

Works for me.
That's great that you got it extended but if Subaru is considering burning oil in brand new cars "Normal" then I wonder how do they explain all the cars that don't burn a drop.

I have never owned a car that burned any measurable amount of oil until it was way past 100,000, actually closer to 200,000,
I wonder how much these so called normal cars will burn when they hit 100,000 +
Cobalt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited CGP

My 2013 3.6R with only 9300 miles just got the low oil light. I brought it to the dealer and they are chenging the oil as I type and are going to do the oil consumption test where I have to stop back at certain intervals, ugh. I have never had a low or high mileage vehicle that has consumed oil. I hope this doesn't continue and If it does, I hope Subaru stands behind it.
opietrials is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #36 (permalink)

2012 3.6r with 22k miles .Oil changed by me every 5k with castrol 5-30-its always on sale.No oil consumption problems-oil is about 3/4 qt low at change time.Engine was broken in hard-a day of occasional runs till the rev limiter hit while using the paddle shifter.I was a ford dealer tech for many years and noticed more problems with engines treated easy.If there is a defective part in the engine its better to catch it sooner.The 3.6 holds 7 qts-if its a qt low it would hurt it.
OLDXR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #37 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium

It must be a QC issue. Our 3.6 burned a quart the first thousand miles or so. After the 3000 mile oil change it has burnt almost none between 5K mile changes. It has about 28K on the clock. Oil is Mobil Super 5000 5w30 dino w/ a Subaru filter.
ob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP

FWIW, My 2006 OB 3.0R VDC used a lot of oil...
BigEyeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R with 71k miles and my oil light comes on like clockwork 1200-1500 miles after the oil change. I use synthetic ( dealer purchased ).

It is a little strange, and after being told by multiple dealers that the engine is designed to drink the oil - I just routinely carry an extra quart with me between changes.

My colleague at work has a newer 4 cylinder and his drinks the same... :-(

It is disheartening to hear that some do and some don't.

I will definitely look into the new PCV now , and TOTALLY agree about the dealer having a way out without replacing the engine.
keith.montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #40 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited

My 2010 3.6R burns abt 1qt every oil chance (7500 miles) been using synthetics {Mobil). Regardless if I do the oil chance myself, dealer or car-x.

71000 miles on the odometer now. Decided to switch to Dino oil and test oil consumption with 5k OCI.
awd-gg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: