3.6r using oil - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 3.6r using oil

I have a 2011 3.6R Limited with 30K miles. I bought it used with 23K. I have done 2 oil changes. Between both it was low on oil. For the second the dealer did a "oil consumption analysis." I had to go there every 1,200 miles and have them check and add oil. It was a pain. At the end of the analysis, they said that it used 28oz in about 3700 miles and that his is "normal." Basically I wasted my time going to the dealer and waiting for them to check the oil...

They said that the engine can use up to a quart every 1,200 miles and that is normal.

I am not excited about having a car that uses 1 quart between oil changes (at 30K), and I let the service manager know this. I am very qualified to check my oil, add oil, change oil, etc. However I don't think I should routinely have to add oil between oil changes on a relatively new car.

Do other folks out there with a 3.6r have similar experiences? I am thinking about trading the car in.
jacklehman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

there are probably people with the same issue. my wife's new impreza burns a quart between changes. my ej25 burns none. plenty of engines do, plenty don't. it can be kinda normal, i wouldn't worry too much.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

kinda interesting to actually see a number.

is it your impression 1 qt. in 1200 miles is an actual Subaru limit?

I knew a guy in the 90s that was told by Chevy they allow 1qt. in 900 miles. he was extremely unhappy. (perhaps it's a different threshold nowadays)
Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7

It's not about what is allowable oil consumption for a [new] motor, it's the fact oil is being consumed period.
I've built engines and consider myself a gear head with the best of 'em, but if my new Outback was using a measurable amount of oil like that, I'd be pissed. It's not 1970 anymore (though my 73 Lincoln's 460 doesn't use a drop either) so there shouldn't be any excuse for a new motor to use oil. That's where the OP's frustration is coming from.
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
It's not about what is allowable oil consumption for a [new] motor, it's the fact oil is being consumed period.
I've built engines and consider myself a gear head with the best of 'em, but if my new Outback was using a measurable amount of oil like that, I'd be pissed. It's not 1970 anymore (though my 73 Lincoln's 460 doesn't use a drop either) so there shouldn't be any excuse for a new motor to use oil. That's where the OP's frustration is coming from.
Right. My 2004 H6 with 130k doesn't burn a drop as far as I can tell, and that's how it should be! On a ~2 year old car, I would think it's totally unacceptable.

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition No Nav, "Senior Citizen Gold" (Harvest Gold)
OEM Hitch | OEM Subwoofer | Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S | Window Tint | Black Carpet Swap
KYB Excel-G Struts ('04 Spec Rear, '05-'09 Spec Front) | Primitive 3/16" Front Skid Plate
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

did they do a compression/leakdown test?

maybe have one done by an indie mech, post the numbers. heck, maybe running some seafoam in the oil would free-up a stuck ring or ???

I wonder, does a cracked ring land leave score marks that a borescope could see?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

more stuff in this thread..
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...g-oil-11k.html
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
pgh

Car: 2010 outback. base 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
there are probably people with the same issue. my wife's new impreza burns a quart between changes. my ej25 burns none. plenty of engines do, plenty don't. it can be kinda normal, i wouldn't worry too much.
There are some complaints on the Forester 2.5 FB and especially the 2.0 FB series Impreza engine on excessive oil consumption. I assume the between oil changes for the Impreza is 7,500?
pgh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
Default Go to SOA on this one...

Burning oil may be acceptable to that dealer, but not to anyone else these days and certainly not to the next person you sell that car to. It appears they sold a car with a nagging problem that may cost big money when that oil burning clogs the emissions system and/or gets worse causing failed emissions and big money to fix it (recent experience of a buddy at work with an older car). Sounds like the oil consumption is the real reason that car was traded at 23K and it would be interesting to see the full computer service history on that one... Smells like a dealer who sold a used car that either can't or doesn't want to go to bat for you to get the problem really resolved and hopes you'll let it slide. Assuming you bought from a Subaru used car dealer, there may not be a TSB the dealer can use to justify repair. Dealers don't just have the power to get all work done at Subaru's expense so you may have to get Subaru involved to help your dealer be able to fix it. Explain this to the Service Dept Mgr (nicely) and see if you can team up to get this resolved.

In the past with Honda, I've gone to the corporate care folks, opened a case and then brought that back to the dealer to help the dealer get Honda to work the issue. Also, Subaru has "representatives" who go to dealers to sell new models and handle escalations and if you're lucky, the dealer will get one fo those involved IF the car has a clear history (serviced by Subaru since new ideally).

If nothing shakes out, then raise this to the General Manager of the dealership where you bought it and get a Subaru-backed warranty on that car at least OR the purchase price applied towards a trade of a new vehicle before that warranty expires. You bought a car under warranty. It's a serious issue that's potentially (and likely) going to cost you. You should be made right to provide peace of mind before you continue to do business there or refer friends.

If that doesn't work, mentioning that the Subaru faithful on this forum will hear about it might help (at least you'll feel better that others won't do business there). Again, if you're dealing with a Subaru dealer, I doubt it will get that far though if these steps are followed (Service Mgr->SOA->General Mgr).
edawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Funny thought regarding the advice given about this forum..
The standard reply for every service manager when you tell them you read it on the internet is, "there is a lot of misinformation on the internet, I would not trust it".
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: