6MT clunking on take off common? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: '11 2.5i 6MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 6MT clunking on take off: Is this common?

I have had a pretty loud clunking/rattling on my '11 outback with the 6MT since new. It happens when releasing the clutch from a stop and bogging the engine a bit (not giving any gas). It is exacerbated if done on an incline either forward or reverse. The clunking sounds like it comes metal on metal rapping relating to the shaking of the motor under these conditions. It is what I would expect a broken engine mount to sound like.

I had the dealer look at it a while back and they spent some time trying to track it down, but no dice. They shrugged and said, must be normal. My plan is to take it back and be a bit more forceful on resolution.

Ahead of that, I would like to know if this sounds familiar to any other manual owners? I did a couple quick searches and did not see anything pop up.

Thanks,
Rob
robf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you can post a video of it.

The AWD MT will make a thunk sound when you drop the clutch hard however most MT cars will make some sort of sound under that type of use.

Any car can have a exhaust hangar or heat shield or other various items that bang into things or rattle when you load up the drive gear and move them under the car.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I can, but wasn't necessarily looking for help diagnosing (although I certainly don't mind). I am looking to see if anybody has this noise. If your car did this, you would know exactly what I am talking about. And it isn't from dropping the clutch, it is more slowly releasing without touching the throttle so it bogs a bit.

This is my 4th Subaru MT vehicle (5th if you count my two front clips :P), and this is certainly out of the norm.

-Rob
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robf View Post
Yes I can, but wasn't necessarily looking for help diagnosing (although I certainly don't mind). I am looking to see if anybody has this noise. If your car did this, you would know exactly what I am talking about. And it isn't from dropping the clutch, it is more slowly releasing without touching the throttle so it bogs a bit.

This is my 4th Subaru MT vehicle (5th if you count my two front clips :P), and this is certainly out of the norm.

-Rob
My 2001 had a hangar on the exhaust that was fouled up - resulted in the exhaust banging against the bottom of the car. Easy fix once I figured out what was going on.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

no... no clunking from my 6 speed when getting into gear.

i have a ʻ12.

joel
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

My '11 2.5, CVT had an annoying rattling from under the car. Out of curiosity the center muffler under the middle of the cars heat shield was slightly loose. Must have had some brush, rocks or dirt make it loose from several of my many off- Roading adventures in the car. I was able to slightly bend it enough to stop the rattling.

'13 Ford F-150, FX4, Super Crew, EcoBoost
Pool Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 2.5i 6M/T

Hmm, the only clunking I get is when I stall it or it comes close to stalling when I don't give it enough gas, which I consider normal.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i base+AWP 6-MT 35k mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88 View Post
Hmm, the only clunking I get is when I stall it or it comes close to stalling when I don't give it enough gas, which I consider normal.
Same here, but I would not describe it as a metallic clunking, more of a muffled thudding of the engine barely running.
car history: 1969 toyota corona 1970 honda 600 car 1978 dodge p/u slant-6 1978 saab 99 EMS 1967 volvo 122 1976 bmw 2002 1968 & 1967 plymouth valiant slant-6 1995 vw golf 1997 honda odyssey 1998 mazda p/u 2005 subaru outback 2003 dodge diesel p/u 4x4 2000 vw golf TDI
DieselOx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

I'd get a clunking noise whenever I bogged my 2.5 MT OB upon launch. Cars nowadays have such soft motor mounts, the engine really rocks in such an instance.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, interesting. Perhaps it is common behavior but maybe the intensity varies? I understand additional "noise" from a bogging engine as it flops around, but what I experience with the outback is louder and more pronounced than anything I have ever heard. I certainly would not characterize it as "normal" bogging sound.

I will work on getting a video made. Thanks for the input so far.

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: