Tire Chains / Cables for '13 OB - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Tire Chains / Cables for '13 OB

Hello everybody,
Could somebody please advise whether regular snow driving tire chains or cables are suitable for '13 OB. I went to the auto parts store and its sales rep told me that I have to use some special spider snow links which are being bolted on the wheel hubs - $460 for a pair . Was this guy just BSing me or there is a truth in his words? Could somebody please clarify what kind of tire chains or cables is suitable for driving '13 OB on the snow.
SubiTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT Built: 01/12, 2014 Forester CVT Limited

Check your manual. Can't use chains I believe. If you're gonna use chains on an outback might as well have purchased an Arctic Cat.
goatGibson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
RJM

We have a 2001 OB and carry a set of chains to be in compliance with the law. We live in snow country and hae never used them. They are still in the original package unopened. Buying a 2013 in the next few days and we will transfer the same package to the new car.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT w/ SAP, Brilliant Brown Pearl

How are the 2013 stock all-season continentals in snow? I live in Northern California and ski up in Tahoe. Yesterday at a chain check on 80 near Donner, CHP let me through without chains. First time driving in snow like that so I was going WAY slow. Should I worry that I don't have winter tires, or will the stock all-seasons be just fine for moderate chain-required passes?
jcruz689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz689 View Post
How are the 2013 stock all-season continentals in snow? I live in Northern California and ski up in Tahoe. Yesterday at a chain check on 80 near Donner, CHP let me through without chains. First time driving in snow like that so I was going WAY slow. Should I worry that I don't have winter tires, or will the stock all-seasons be just fine for moderate chain-required passes?
Welcome, Another new face in River City. You will get a lot of opinions and recomendations on the stock Conti's so be ready. We go up regularly(50+80) and have had no issues with them wet or dry.

See if you can find a used set somewhere and throw them in the back when you make a run. They don't have to fit. CHP will close the road before requiring all wheel drive to chain up. In 40 years of Sierra travel I've yet to be asked to show proof, but I still always carry a set.

Check out here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...heap-ones.html
and here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...chains-ob.html
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

Yes you can use cable chains. The manual for 2001 said you could not use "chains" either. However low profile cables will work. We have a set from out 2001 outback that we had to use once. Yep even AWD does not help you when there is an ice sheet when you have a home in the mountains---all 4 wheels spinning and the car came sliding down the hill... came within inches of hitting a tree very scary!

Even though the wheel and the tire size is diffrent on our new 2013 from the 2001 the size is listed on the package is as one that will fit. They were found on line and were about 80 bucks.. take only about a minuite to put on if you pratice.

Only needed once... but as far as I am concerend, they paid for themselves that day.
chilanzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i CVT

Check out Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924, they have different options including lower profile which will work on the Outback.
vtmecheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited with SAP and the fancy foot lighting inside and out

I was asked once to show I had chains. This was with a 4x4 truck on I5 near Dunsmuir. Those without were turned back. Because of this I at least carry a set in the Subaru. Better to have then be turned around just once. I got a set of the Z6, I figured might as well get a set that fits just in case. Over the life of the car, relatively inexpensive.
autorot8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz689 View Post
Been doing the Tahoe storm chasing ski runs since I was old enough to ski.

Your stock continentals are fine not fantastic - not terrible just fine. If you have 30,000 miles on them you won't like driving on them during a big dump in Tahoe especially dropping down into Truckee off the pass. Down hill is where you find your traction issues not up hill with the subaru.

Your too focused on your tires and need to focus on what the road conditions and car is telling you. If the car is sliding here and there you need to slow things up if the car is not sliding around then you need to drive at a speed that gives you plenty of stopping room. When it comes to Tahoe that stopping room includes the dumb a s s SUV or pick up truck driver riding your tail ie meaning you need even more space between you and the car in front of you or that idiot behind you is going to try and mate with your OB the second traffic comes to a stop.

Cables for the OB front tires only - You will NEVER EVER open the package for Tahoe trips!

Your number one threat driving to and from Tahoe are the other drivers and tailgaters. No traffic your subaru is about as close to having a personal dog sled as most people ever get.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorot8 View Post
I was asked once to show I had chains. This was with a 4x4 truck on I5 near Dunsmuir. Those without were turned back. Because of this I at least carry a set in the Subaru. Better to have then be turned around just once. I got a set of the Z6, I figured might as well get a set that fits just in case. Over the life of the car, relatively inexpensive.
Same here - pickups even with 4x4 and good tires both have the ability to run chains and in many cases need them simply because they handle so poor on slick surfaces. In my case I was actually behind several Subarus which were not stopped or asked to see chains however our 4x4 pickup was not only stopped but we were told to chain up.

#1 Vehicle size and weight
#2 Vehicles poor weight distribution and handling on slick road surfaces
Means yes they might even ask you to chain up even with a 4x4 truck
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: