Poor lower floor heat in 2011 Outback - Does Subaru have a fix yet? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Poor lower floor heat in 2011 Outback - Does Subaru have a fix yet?

I'm now going into my 3rd winter with my 2011 Outback and as it gets colder I'm reminded of how my poor or, let me say how pathetic my heating system is, particularly the lack of lower heat by my feet. When I have the heat flow selector set on lower heat, more heat comes from the defroster area! I have had my Subaru to the dealer multiple times however the dealer has not been able to address this issue. The only partial solution I have found is to set the heat flow selecter on the front (middle) / lower vent setting and close the front (middle vents) forcing the air flow to go to the lower vents. Still, the air flow is not that great. I know this is a known problem as I have read about this issue in many places on the Internet. Has Subaru admitted yet that there is a problem with the lower heat air flow and has anyone been successful at getting a Subaru dealer to fix this isssue?

I would like to keep my Outback for a few more years so I would like to be able to get this issue corrected if possible. My Outback is now out of warranty so I guess I will have to pay if there is a fix.

Any solutions, recommendtions, thoughts, on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Al
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT

Must not have a fix yet because my feet freeze in my 13, I keep the heat cranked until from the knees up I am hot and can't stand it but my feet never do get warm.

I also tried closing off most of the other vents but it is little help
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

...I agree...to a point. With floor heat on just zipping around town there is not a lot of noticeable heat. I attribute this to opening and closing doors etc as I go from place to place...lose any heat that was there because cold air is heavier and sinks to the floor. On the highway...long trips, I prefer floor heat because it heats the entire car from the floor up. Very toasty.
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 CVT premium with sunroof

I had sucess in making mine a little better. I noticed the cover under steering wheel column is only supported by the screws that attach to the dash. Mine was hanging down covering 1/2 of one heating floor vent. I used a couple zip ties to raise it up some. Another thing I tried was to velcro a small plastic screw container next to one of the vents that I cut a hole in it to deflect the heat to the front of the foot well. That worked very well, but the heat distorted the very thin plastic container.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Aldo, have you changed the cabin air filter? It might at least boost the flow of air a little if the present filter is clogged. Or perhaps run without the filter in the coldest weeks of the year. We've driven cars for 90 years without filters in the HVAC systems.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium

It's not that the total volume of air is insufficient, it's how it's directed. I just wear boots or heavy shoes in the winter.
ob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

yeah, I've read auto reviews in the past in Consumer reports and they would frequently mention such&such car roasts your right foot while the left is freezing or the hot air just hits your leg or otherwise the heater is insufficient w'ever.

redirecting the flow with some kinda improvised deflector might be your best hope.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium
Default Lack of heat directed towards your feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
I had sucess in making mine a little better. I noticed the cover under steering wheel column is only supported by the screws that attach to the dash. Mine was hanging down covering 1/2 of one heating floor vent. I used a couple zip ties to raise it up some. Another thing I tried was to velcro a small plastic screw container next to one of the vents that I cut a hole in it to deflect the heat to the front of the foot well. That worked very well, but the heat distorted the very thin plastic container.

I to have the same problem and have been thinking of a way to deflect the air down also. This sounds like a good idea.
First Subarunj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback 2.5i
Default Poor heating

I recently had a similar problem. I have replaced thermostat, then heater, without result.
When last I accidentally removed heating valve of the chasis and got a look inside i have seen a piece of rubber beetwen ant this piece did not allowing flow of coolant to do heater.
Now i have remove this piece my heating is ok.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

This problem has been around for awhile with lots of discussion and some suggestions for best settings to minimize it but no real solutions. Check the following link and the links within that thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...left-foot.html
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: