What octane and brand? - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My 2013 6-cylinder Outback is 7 weeks old with 3,900 miles and has been averaging 23.8 on the MPG Display (22.8 actual) with a lot of short trips (50% city / 50% highway).

Have recently upgraded engine, trans, and differential fluids to Group IV & V synthetic fluids and run 38 psi in front tires and 35 psi in the rear with 87 Octane Mid-grade fuel from Chevron. Average temperatures range from 30*F to 15*F.

Merry Christmas!
147_Grain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium

Ventura to Mammoth Lakes w/ 1000 miles on the ODO, I averaged 26MPG. Shell Gasoline

Mammoth Lakes to Ventura w/ 1400 miles on the ODO, I averaged 29MPG. Gas from an Indian reservation in Bishop.

I drove 70MPH on the way up, and ascended from sea level to around 8000 feet. On the way back I drove around 65MPH and descended to sea level.

It's either your driving style and MPG expectations are incongruent, or you've got something wrong with your car. Good luck with it.
JustMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
gls

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i

Costco is 20-40c cheaper per gallon in our area, and has their 'clean power' detergent additives, similar to the brand name stations. I always try to purchase from the highest volume stations to reduce the chance of water contamination. We don't have ethanol-free gas available in my area.

There are 134 operating refineries in the US. Some gasoline is also imported (mostly from Europe). If you take away California (16) - especially with the wide variety of formulations required so you might see some variations there- each state except maybe Texas (27) is served only by handful of refineries. The Congress mandates ethanol mixtures most areas too. There is no way that there can be any significant variation based on any sort of additive mixture, unless the additives are insufficient to keep injectors clean. Every branded oil retailer has a effective additives and quality assurance procedures to keep contaminants out of their products. Many are identical (e.g. Speedway/Marathon).

This whole discussion is all about the power of marketing and branding. I'd just buy from whoever is cheapest and most convenient. Gasoline of a particular octane is a commodity with one price. If there was a difference, it would be graded like agricultural products.
gls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Default I deliver gas for a living and I recommend only tier 1 gas

Most of the gas comes from the same places what makes it different is the amount of cleaning additives that is put in. no brand name gasoline is tier 2-3 gas with the minium amount of additives required by federal law.
Tier 1 gas has roughly twice the cleaning additive as low price gasoline. phillips 66/conoco gas has 2 1/2 times the cleaning additives a low price gasoline. I would contact subaru and see if you can obtain a list of tier one gasolines that are available.

If you are at higher altitude I still would not go below 87 octane because it you go to a lower altitude it could cause your car to ping and pull timing causing worse fuel economy. I also recomend that you avoid gas with ethanol in it if you have a choice to get 100% gas. 100% gas will get you 10% better fuel economy. Absoultly avoid gas with more than 10% ethanol. If you car sets a lot or you use e 10 use a additive like stabil ethanol gas treatment. Ethanol is hydroscopic meaning it pulls water out of the air over time and can carode your fuel system from the inside out because the water turns the fuel acidic.

Last edited by blown96bird; 12-25-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: mistake
blown96bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium

I use Conoco with no Ethanol. Lucky for me we have a service station 5 - 10 mins away that only stocks Ethanol free.....those stations are few and far between though.
MToutback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MToutback View Post
I use Conoco with no Ethanol. Lucky for me we have a service station 5 - 10 mins away that only stocks Ethanol free.....those stations are few and far between though.
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you find a station that doesn't use Ethanol? The only way I know of is to go there and look at the pump. Is there an easier way than searching the hundreds of local stations one at a time?
Budaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budaru View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you find a station that doesn't use Ethanol? The only way I know of is to go there and look at the pump. Is there an easier way than searching the hundreds of local stations one at a time?
You might try this site :
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
Default E85

Watch out. The EPA approved states to raise the blend with up to 15% ethanol.

Will the New Ethanol Blend Tank My Ride? | Mother Jones
Tom28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

With my 2012 limited 3.6 I use 87 octane and normally use a top tier gas station Top Tier Gasoline.
05 llbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: