Subaru Outback Forums banner

6 Speaker Stereo "secret" menu

122K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  synter 
#1 ·
This might be old news, but I wanted to confirm that some of these settings settings seem to work on my 2013 (no nav) 6-speaker stereo :

Hidden menu for 2011+ "premium" head unit? - NASIOC

I managed to change to "Pass through" mode for the flatter eq setting.

#2 ·
Which technique worked for you to get into the menu?
What is the model # printed on the front of your head unit (bottom right)?

I can't get this to work on mine. 2013 #CE617UI.

EDIT: Success. I was trying all the wrong ones. The post #37, which is for a Crosstrek and looks like a different unit entirely, worked.

#3 ·
Sorry for the late reply. Same model number.
For the record here are the steps:

1) turn on acc power to car
2) with radio off press the following at the same time
1-2-press tune in - sedan mode
1-3-press tune in - wagon mode
1-4-press tune in - through mode

3) for loudness setting turn stereo on and press 1-6-tune in to switch loudness on or off

Sean

#6 ·
does this only work on the premium model?

Loudness setting in short - is what you should turn it to (if you find you prefer it) when you are playing the unit at low levels. Due to physics and the way our ears are designed, if you listen to stereos at low levels, the low end tends to drop away un-proportionality (is that a word?) .
So the loudness setting is an eq curve that compensates for this to make the audio sound more natural. It is only meant to be used at very low levels - at normal levels, it will make the audio sound too "boomy". Whether you like "boomy" or not, this setting was meant to be used when you have the volume lower.

I have found I like this setting esp in a car because of the other noises (road/engine) that also are masking the sound when its low, it doesnt really make it louder - but it makes it a bit more full and clear.

Sorry Sean but can you explain the steps? I am not sure what you mean by the description - sorry if this is obvious to everyone else.

#9 ·
does this only work on the premium model?
Sorry Sean but can you explain the steps? I am not sure what you mean by the description - sorry if this is obvious to everyone else.
As an example :

1-2-press tune in - sedan mode

Press the preset 1, preset 2 and press the tune dial in all at the same time to switch to sedan mode. Radio should be off but accessory power on to the car.

#7 ·
Sequoia - thanks for the explanation.

To clarify then..I currently have the bass level at -2 and it still sounds "boomy" to me, but I imagine I have the loundess setting "On" since I haven't changed it otherwise. If I turn the loudness setting "Off", and listen to audio at normal levels it should make it less "boomy" - correct?

#10 ·
Assuming its already ON - then yes definitely.
If you happen to read my other thread today - I just got a 2013 Limited and its WAY too boomy in strange ways. I am starting to wonder if this setting is set to on - but I dont know how to access it. I am afraid its not as easy as that its just set wrong - but would love to find out thats the case.

But yes - the loudness setting should NOT sound good at normal volumes. There are WAY better ways to bring up low end at normal volumes. Loudness is only designed for low volumes and will sound very boomy at normal volumes if its on.

#14 ·
So I just tried this and while it was easy to move between "sedan", "wagon", and "pass through" modes, there was no confirmation for turning "loudness" on/off. Is there no visual confirmation that loudness is on or off? I didn't really notice a difference in the sound after supposedly turning it on or off, which makes me believe I wasn't doing it right..

Can anyone confirm that there is no visual confirmation for loudness on/off?

#17 ·
Ill ask one more time. ;)

does anyone have any idea how to do any such thing on the Harmon Kardon head unit that comes w the limited SAP (nav)???

these techniques are for clarion units it seems and def dont work on my unit.

I had it at my dealer today for a few minor issues and they knew NOTHING about any secret menus or other controls for audio quality. (not surprised here).

Ive NEVER seen a car stereo without a loudness setting btw - wonder if I should contact HK and try to fish around for info there.

#19 ·
Ill ask one more time. ;)

does anyone have any idea how to do any such thing on the Harmon Kardon head unit that comes w the limited SAP (nav)???

these techniques are for clarion units it seems and def dont work on my unit.

I had it at my dealer today for a few minor issues and they knew NOTHING about any secret menus or other controls for audio quality. (not surprised here).

Ive NEVER seen a car stereo without a loudness setting btw - wonder if I should contact HK and try to fish around for info there.
SAP's have no loudness setting/adjustment.

#18 ·
After hours of fiddling with it, I have a setting that sounds pretty good.
Wagon mode, Loudness off, SRS on:
Bass -2
Mid +2
Treble +5

The bass is tight, the mids are pretty normal, and the highs are pretty clear. I typically keep the volume between 30 and 34, and this setting works for most of the music I listen to.

#31 ·
I'm having trouble understanding how to adjust the settings shown in the beginning, but I'd like to get something like this. When you start the procedure is there something showing on the display about wagon mode and such? Can someone list the step by step instructions including what I'll be seeing on the HU? Thanks, oh and 2014 Outback Premium. Just a thought, maybe we could get people to list their car model and what settings they have and what makes them like those settings.

#22 ·
Does anyone know how to reset back to the factory EQ after going into EQ bypass? I'm hesitant to change it in case I don't like what bypass gives me. It could be that EQ curves are programmed in parameters other than offered by the 3 tone controls. I may not want to lose it.

#27 ·
I wonder if this overrides the automatic volume adjustment, supposedly it adjusts for noise at different speeds. If so, can it be set back in?
That's adjustable normally

see below

The "SVC" or speed volume control is available in the normal audio settings menu.

#32 ·
Okay I tried doing this on my 2014 outback premium HU no luck. Does anyone know how to access the hidden menu on the pe669u1?

#34 ·
The answer, Drogos, is it depends on exactly which radio you have, the amp setup, and which speaker set. If you have a subwoofer bass unit and the right crossover ckts to relieve your door speakers from distortion, then yes, go ahead and crank up the bass response. If you have the more basic 4 or 6 speaker setup with no sub, cranking up the bass just increases the head units THD as the integral amp can't deliver, and the speakers can't reproduce it cleanly. If the choice is distorted sound & rattling trim verses reduced bass, I'll take the reduced bass.

#36 ·
haven't checked the model number but I have the base model 2014 outback and I got it to work. first hold down the numbers, then press the tune button. Sometimes it takes a couple presses to get the message to pop up. with stereo on 1 and 6 then tune for loudness on/off, with stereo off 1 and 4 then tune for through, 1 and 3 then tune for wagon, etc. Took me a couple tried but I got it to work and with loudness off and through mode on it has made a nice improvement. I also added the oem tweeters.