2014 forester - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Ltd, 6cyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Waste

I'm with PoolRunner. I too have noticed the frequent posts by folks trading in one or two year cars for no good reason. What about your kids college education or your retirement account?
williamemack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP

My kid is 32. Already paid the $35k+ per year for his education and he is still living at home (oh well). My retirement account is ok now, lost tons of money two or three times in the past. What is your real point? Get what you want - it it's not right, upgrade or get something new - that is if you can afford it. Have "kin" in the Boston area (Natick) so I understand your sentiments.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBnube View Post
?????? I don't fully understand either.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but the reason for selling (Not trading) my '13 WRX is because the '14 WRX is suppose to be "All-New" and not just an update like the people going from '12 Outback to '13 Outback which for all intense purpose is the same car, roughly same power give 1hp that is dissolved in drivetrain losses to "feel" anyway.

I would never in a lifetime just trade a car in just because there is a new model year and not an "All new" car with significant improvement. The only motivating thing I could see trading a '10,'11,'12 Outback for the current one, is if they brought back the turbo option, possible boxer turbo diesel??, a true "Off-Road" version perhaps with like a 1-2" lift and meatier rubber, low range 4WD? how about 15% increase in fuel economy? possible Hybrid or all Electric?? plug-in Electric? Anyway you get the idea.

I could careless what anyone here or anyone else does with their money, I just want to know why someone who already owns one of the best cars money can buy (According to the media) would trade their car in for a loss if it is not broken, in need of repair, wrecked, etc... Thats all I'm not saying don't do it, I appreciate the contribution to our economy and helping Subaru spend more money and development on cool cars like the BRZ, WRX & STi models as without you they would have probably stopped making those and just sell Outbacks & Foresters.

'13 Ford F-150, FX4, Super Crew, EcoBoost
Pool Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT

New Forester in action.

japmaxse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
Not sure if you are being sarcastic .......
Yep, even with the emotives the sarcasim gets lost in print.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #26 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7

If the new Forester is livable on the inside (at least as quiet as the Outback with nicer materials) I'll order the XT in a heartbeat. That X mode sounds pretty cool too.

As for the looks, they're obviously subjective. However, I find it ironic that Outback owners are being critical. I find the whole vehicle to be very attractive. Clean lines and bold front (especially with the XT's bumper and LED headlight treatment) make for a solid appearance. My dealer told me that they start taking orders on Monday and will have details on pricing with first shipments coming around March.
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium

I got a good look at the new Forester at the auto show this last weekend. Looks wise there were no alarms or surprises but during my walk around I noticed a lack of that hearty Subaru thud when I closed the doors.

It may have just been that the particular model on hand had been molested by a number of people throughout the day. Either way it was still better than the outgoing model.

I don't see anything wrong with buying the newer model if you don't like the one you own. If you've got the money you might as well spend it.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
I just want to know why someone who already owns one of the best cars money can buy (According to the media) would trade their car in for a loss if it is not broken, in need of repair, wrecked, etc... Thats all I'm not saying don't do it, I appreciate the contribution to our economy and helping Subaru spend more money and development on cool cars like the BRZ, WRX & STi models as without you they would have probably stopped making those and just sell Outbacks & Foresters. [/FONT][/COLOR]
By looking at the "Official 2013 OB info" thread and the "What did you pay" thread it's apparent that a number of Gen4 OB owners traded in for a 2013. I think there are a few reasons that drove this:
1. The 2013 had a lot of improvements that were not on the previous 3 years. New FB engine, timing chain, 2nd gen CVT, suspension improvements, mild facelift, EyeSight with adaptive cruise control, headlights that no longer flash under every overpass for a few. You can find a lot more on the "2013" thread. There wasn't much reason to trade in a 2010 for a 2011 or 2012 and basically get the same car only newer. Now there is finally a real reason to trade. I view the 2013 as the OB that should have come out in 2010.

2. Price. I paid 2% under invoice but there are others that did a lot better. Discounting seemed to be a bit more in 2013 than in previous years.

3. The used car market has been and still is very high. Couple that with the Subaru Guaranteed Program and trading in has never been better. Granted that you have to watch the GTP and catch you cars GTP price at it's sweet spot. Some are unwilling to do this. Their answer to GTP is I checked once and it wasn't that great. It also helps to live in a state where you don't pay tax on your trade value.

4. Read the "What did you pay" thread and look at some of the deals people got by combining 2 & 3. In the past I would never trade a car in so soon mainly due to the depreciation hit. My Lexus RX 300 was over 10 years old when I traded it in on my 2010 OB. Don't get me wrong the deprectiation hit is still there but much less than it ever has been. Almost to the point where you feel like a fool if you don't take adavntage of it.

In reading the posts from others who have done this, it looks like many were from financially savvy people who realized a good deal. Most likely they all had their other more important financial obligations already taken care of. I know mine were. Hopefully these numbers will work for me again when I trade in my 2010 Legacy for a new Forester soon.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by there4igraham View Post
I got a good look at the new Forester at the auto show this last weekend. Looks wise there were no alarms or surprises but during my walk around I noticed a lack of that hearty Subaru thud when I closed the doors.

It may have just been that the particular model on hand had been molested by a number of people throughout the day. Either way it was still better than the outgoing model.

I don't see anything wrong with buying the newer model if you don't like the one you own. If you've got the money you might as well spend it.
Was that the off/light bronze on at the Omaha Auto show? I got to see it in great detail this morning at the dealership. Couldn't drive it though. Looks nicely done.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
By looking at the "Official 2013 OB info" thread and the "What did you pay" thread it's apparent that a number of Gen4 OB owners traded in for a 2013. I think there are a few reasons that drove this:
1. The 2013 had a lot of improvements that were not on the previous 3 years. New FB engine, timing chain, 2nd gen CVT, suspension improvements, mild facelift, EyeSight with adaptive cruise control, headlights that no longer flash under every overpass for a few. You can find a lot more on the "2013" thread. There wasn't much reason to trade in a 2010 for a 2011 or 2012 and basically get the same car only newer. Now there is finally a real reason to trade. I view the 2013 as the OB that should have come out in 2010.

2. Price. I paid 2% under invoice but there are others that did a lot better. Discounting seemed to be a bit more in 2013 than in previous years.

3. The used car market has been and still is very high. Couple that with the Subaru Guaranteed Program and trading in has never been better. Granted that you have to watch the GTP and catch you cars GTP price at it's sweet spot. Some are unwilling to do this. Their answer to GTP is I checked once and it wasn't that great. It also helps to live in a state where you don't pay tax on your trade value.

4. Read the "What did you pay" thread and look at some of the deals people got by combining 2 & 3. In the past I would never trade a car in so soon mainly due to the depreciation hit. My Lexus RX 300 was over 10 years old when I traded it in on my 2010 OB. Don't get me wrong the deprectiation hit is still there but much less than it ever has been. Almost to the point where you feel like a fool if you don't take adavntage of it.

In reading the posts from others who have done this, it looks like many were from financially savvy people who realized a good deal. Most likely they all had their other more important financial obligations already taken care of. I know mine were. Hopefully these numbers will work for me again when I trade in my 2010 Legacy for a new Forester soon.
I traded in a 2010 OB Limited (~45k miles on it) for a 2013 OB Limited with SAP + a lot of accessories. It was the wife's car and she wanted a backup camera, Navgation, Key-less start, and a White car -v- the Black one she previously wanted for the 2010 OB.

All in all, I think it was a good choice. The 2013, IMHO, is overall a much beter car than the 2010.

The three years that we had the 2010 OB cost us a little less than $11k including the sales tax difference and that portion of the 7 year, 70k mile, $0 deductible Subaru Gold SAS that was not refunded.

Paid invoice for both cars and got a deep discount on a new 7 year, 100k mile, $0 deductible Subaru Gold SAS. The cost of insurance was also a bit less for the 2013 (about $1.50 per month).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: