LED Uprgrade for DRL's - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have what you're looking for. Here's what I did in an older thread when I first got my 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo View Post
Here are the LEDs!
Here's what I'll say about the leds I got from superbrightleds: They're very, very bright. The 194 bulbs used in the headlamps, license plate lights, and under the doors are a very pure white. HOWEVER, the interior festoon bulbs and rectangular board (for cargo area) that I got are "warm white" because "natural white"(<-- 194 bulbs) wasn't offered for some reason. So these LEDs look VERY close to the stock bulbs in color. That said, they are far brighter and I am pleased with my interior.

Here's a list of the LEDs I bought from superbrightleds. The first two are the same, I don't know why it isn't just listed as 6 WLED-xHP5, but you get the idea. They're available in various colors, but I do like the natural white a lot.
---------- PRODUCT INFORMATION ----------
Qty | Product / Options | Price/ea |
================================================== ==========
4 | WLED-xHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base| $ 5.95 |
WLED-WHP5: Natural White
------------------------------------------------------------
2 | WLED-xHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base| $ 5.95 |
WLED-WHP5: Natural White
2 | 3022-xHP4: DE3175 LED Bulb - 4 SMD LED Festoon| $ 6.95 |
3022-WWHP4: Warm White
1 | 3022-xHP4: DE3175 LED Bulb - 4 SMD LED Festoon| $ 6.95 |
3022-WWHP4: Warm White
1 | UPCB-xWHP30-T10: 30 High Power LED Rectangle PCB Lamp w/ Wedge Base| $ 17.90 |
UPCB-WWHP30-T10: Warm White T10 Base
Stock

"Natural white" LED

Comparo

Color matches the 55w 4500k HIDs almost too perfectly

This one shows how well they light up the housing

Even the "natural white" is a bit warmer than the stock puddle lights. But still much better.

Black interior isn't exactly ideal for showing off brightness, but it's still a helluva lot brighter than stock. You can also see the "warm white" doesn't look as you might expect a traditional LED to appear. I'm fine with that, but some might want it to look more white.
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback 3.6R SAP

What about yellow bulbs for the H7 DRLs? If you can find them. Might look cool. Downside would be. Yellow highbeams.
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited, Ford Flex, Porsche 911SC, Volvo V40, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), VW GTI
Nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited, Graphite Gray & 2002 Chevy Suburban LS 2500 4x4 6.0 V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthebeef View Post
The bulbs that the arrow points to are not the DRLs. They are simply there to provide some sort of light in case a headlight goes out (that's the most logical explanation I've read).

The 9005/HB3 high beams do double duty as DRLs. I measured the voltage and if I remember correctly they measure roughly 8V as DRLs and the full 12V (13.xx) in high beam mode.

I have LEDs in the small spot (168 type bulb).
5K WHITE 3 CHIP 5 LED LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821 | 1 PAIR

I have tried some cheap 9005/HB3 LEDs before. They were the 120 LED kind from eBay. They had a nice color and were fairly bright for DRLs, but over a couple months, some of the little LEDs started to literally fall off! There was some discoloration too on their circuit board too that looks like it's from overheating. I would trust V-leds over the cheap stuff. For now, I'm back to the stock bulbs as DRLs.

If you switch to LEDs for the 9005/HB3 bulbs the high beams will basically suck at putting out any light. So you have to pick your poison - pretty DRLs or functional high beams.

I'm waiting for Triton V3 bulbs in the 9005/HB3 size. I think those would be killer. I have the V3s for my brake lights and they are bright! They are pricey too.
V3 TRITON RED MULTI-APPLICATION HIGH POWER LED BRAKE LIGHT SYSTEM 7440 7443 1156 1157 3156 3157 | 1 PAIR - V3 Triton

I have these as turn signals (amber up front and red in the rear). I got them when they used to be $80. Fortunatley they are $30 now as they have brighter ones available now:
AMBER PLATINUM 7W HIGH POWER 20 LED PARKING/TURN SIGNAL BULBS 7443 7440 | 1 PAIR

Other things to note:
I have changed my flasher relay (in the dashboard) to accomodate LED turn signals. This is much better than using resistors.

There is a product that v-leds sells that will up your DRL voltage to 12V in case you want the most from your LEDs (should you choose to go that route).

I'm not affiliated with V-leds in any way. They just have the best retrofit LEDs available that I know of. They rest of the places are a step down as far as I can see.

At this stage of the game as far as technology goes, you can't go cheap on LEDs and expect great results. You have to be somewhat of a guinea pig and pay high prices for the good stuff. They do get cheaper as time goes on though...
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...outback-8.html check out post # 73 picture of DRL resistor next to windshield washer reservoir, when drl is activated it goes through the resistor to the highbeam bulb, as Rockthebeef stated the voltage is brought down to 8volts dimming the output of the highbeams.
I havent looked at the wiring harness yet but I thought about running the drl resistor line w/o the resistor and running it to that bulb that sits next to the high beam bulb, i think they call it the position light, not sure whats it supposed to do. That would be my DRL and probably save some hour usage on the highbeam bulbs. Any thoughts? criticisms?
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Premium CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by denn888 View Post
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...outback-8.html check out post # 73 picture of DRL resistor next to windshield washer reservoir, when drl is activated it goes through the resistor to the highbeam bulb, as Rockthebeef stated the voltage is brought down to 8volts dimming the output of the highbeams.
I havent looked at the wiring harness yet but I thought about running the drl resistor line w/o the resistor and running it to that bulb that sits next to the high beam bulb, i think they call it the position light, not sure whats it supposed to do. That would be my DRL and probably save some hour usage on the highbeam bulbs. Any thoughts? criticisms?
It would be all well and good if you make it all work but the only thing I have to say is that it won't be very visible. That tiny light shines OK at night, but they will be next to useless as DRLs. Those little LEDs (most of which are less bright than the regular bulbs) will easily get washed out in sunlight.

My personal choice would be to run H11 LEDs in the fog lights and to wire them as the DRLs. That way you still have high beams, but you lose fog lights that will give off much light. It's on my list but I'm in no hurry.

If you're already on the internet, why don't you look it up for yourself?
rockthebeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
What about yellow bulbs for the H7 DRLs? If you can find them. Might look cool. Downside would be. Yellow highbeams.
I kept making the mistake of calling them H7s (I corrected my posts). The DRLs are 9005 bulbs.

Yellow bulbs would be pretty cool IMO. You'd just have to make sure it's legal in your state. If you live in a place with inspections, they might consider them to be fog lights and that you have no high beams.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

for all those LED bulbs, do you just have to switch the bulbs or do you have to add other stuff?

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
for all those LED bulbs, do you just have to switch the bulbs or do you have to add other stuff?
They're all plug and play. The exception is that for turn signals, you're going to have to do something to avoid hyper blinking. I replaced my flasher to do this.

Those expensive V3 LEDs are a little more complicated than plug n play, but they are extremely bright! ...and worth the cost. They come as a kit with everything you need to get them installed.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies

Does anyone know if the license plate lights interfere with the back-up camera?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited

would the hyperblinking be bad? i pulled a wrong fuse in my '08 evo and the fast blinkers seemed a little louder, i assume almost all new cars have those really quiet turn signals and i dont like that. id rather have the hyperblinking or whatever, if it makes me look like a teenager, whatever.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Default LED Light Strip

Does anyone in the forum know if we (North America) have the option to purchase the LED light option available for European Outbacks as seen in the Subaru options marketing material in the below link?
http://www.subaru.de/fileadmin/downl...k-zubehoer.pdf
Derrek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: