Keyless Entry not working - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Keyless Entry not working

Today I remote started my 2010 Outback to warm up before heading off to work. When I went out to leave I hit the unlock button on my key fob. Nothing happened. I tried again until I was right next to the car with no result. I thought my key fob battery might be dead so I just unlocked the car with my key. When I headed off to work I noticed that the time/temp/mileage display was also dead. The seat belt icon was flashing but there was no audible warning. I didn't have time to look into it so I headed for work. When I got here I also noticed that the dome lights weren't working when I exited the car.

My question is, is there a fuse I can check that would account for this? Or could it be a larger computer issue? I intend to try and figure it out when I get home from work and have the time to look into it and I was hoping for some input from the group. Thanks for any insight you can provide. I hope it's just a fuse.
AceDanW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl

Background… Is your RS oem?
Refer to the OM, check the Body-Control-Unit circs/fuses in the cabin/engine fuse panels (IIRC the BCU fuses are in the engine fuse box).

And, take off the bold font.
GasGuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP

How many places do you wish to report this problem - and maybe without complete information? You need to provide us with as much/complete information as possible so that we have a chance at helping you.
G-Omaha is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have only posted one thread on this issue. I replied to another post that I found when trying to find more info on this. I'm sorry if you felt I was spamming the board. It was not my intention. It took me some time and a lot of reading to find a few more threads similar to this.

I thought that my first post provided enough info considering that it was all I had at the time. As I said, it happened on the way to work. Now that I've had time to do some research I've found that it is the same problem others are having that is due to a puddle light issue that is currently in the process of being recalled.

For your added information, I called my dealer and they said that although they are aware of the problem Subaru hasn't provided them with a fix for the problem as yet. I was told that I couldn't bring it in until I receive the recall notice. So I guess I will have to deal with it for now since the car is now just out of warranty and I would have to pay for it myself prior to the recall notice according to the dealer.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP

Ace,

Was not trying to be a$$ or anything like that - just trying to help out by isolating any "other factors". If there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) regarding the issue, then the Dealership will most likely repair it on SOA's dime. A TSB is a bit different than a recall in that you will not be informed about all TSBs; however, must be informed about all recalls pertaining to your car. I think that there is a thread concerning the puddle light issue and think that this link is germane: Subaru recalls nearly 634,000 vehicles in US for lighting issue - chicagotribune.com

Good Luck,

Gary
G-Omaha is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Gary. No worries.

I gave what I knew at the time. I understand what you're saying. I appreciate the link to the puddle light article. I believe that is the problem.

After reading further on the issue on another thread I found out that the fuse that blew was the number 34 fuse under the hood. It was not one I expected to be the problem. It was in fact blown. So I changed it and as soon as I hit the unlock button it blew again. So I believe it to be the short in the puddle light harness. I'm in CT and we have some pretty sloppy roads these days. So it all adds up to the know issue.

So I guess I will have to wait for the recall. I called the dealer back and they claimed to know nothing about a TSB and again said they couldn't cover anything until the recall letter comes out. I will try calling another dealer and try to get someone who's more knowledgeable about the problem. The service person at the first dealer didn't seem to be either very concerned or informed. Thanks again for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: