2013 Subaru outback suspension - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R SAP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, I like the 2013 as-is, thank you very much. If I could tweak anything, it would be the shocks, where I'd add a bit more low speed rebound valving to improve transient response, with a bit less high-speed compression, to improve ride quality (remove the buzz).

And I'm not a wannabee autocrosser. I am a nationally competitive autocrosser, but I have no desire to autocross or track my OB. I'd just like a little better road manners.

Honestly, what I really want is a ride-height adjustable suspension that is nice & soft when tall, and firm (but not stiff) when low. Like the original Allroad (although I don't know if the spring & damping rates change with height in that car). I'd even pay $3k for such an option.

"fine" is the enemy of good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Car: 2011 Legacy 2.5 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
LOL proof that you can't build a car that works for everyone's taste. HA never thought I would see a thread on this topic in a Subaru Forum. Subaru has always been a tad on the soft side compared to all the other auto makers. The 13 is probably the closest thing to the Automotive standard regarding suspension stiffness that the Legacy platform has ever seen.
I wouldn't say Subaru has always been on the soft side. I had an 07 Legacy before my current 11. I'd say the ride on my 11 is down right plush compared to the 07. I would describe the 07 as having a firm ride, but never harsh. I haven't driven the 13s yet so I don't know how those compare.

I do think Subaru should have left the OB with the softer tuning and leave the firmer tuning to the Forester especially since it has the turbo available with it. It would be something to further differentiate the two models. With the Legacy, I think they should have both tunings available depending on model (firmer for the 2.5 sport/3.6).
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 PM

Car: 2013, Outback 2.5 Limited
New but here's my take...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_05 View Post
Hi
I bought 2013 subaru outback 2.5 and it has 3300 miles on it now.
From the day one i feel suspension is a bit stiff and i can feel it for everything,i saw in this forum some ppl had problem and they decreased the air pressure,mine is 33 front and 34 rear..i guess that is ok? or should i decrease more?

Another concern is my mileage..i drive 30 miles per day,but 90% is freeway,but mileage is not crossing 23 and more worst is when i drove in highway for 150 miles..still my mileage is 23.1(is it because of winter season) I stay in chicago and mostly my heater on ..

The other concern is Traction control,i dont know whether to turn it off or on,but i i felt skidding with Traction control on..do i need to turn it off or on?

Please give me an advise as iam really upset with my 32k car.

I bought a '13 1.5 limited a couple of weeks ago and just crossed the 2,000 mile mark. I live in upstate NY and drive a lot for work...100 miles round trip (mostly highway) every day plus constant running around during the day.

I personally have zero complaints about the suspension...actually I like it because it makes it feel a little more rugged.

As for MPG's, I was only getting around 23-24 until the past two days I've been getting 28-29. I've been learning how to use the mpg gauge, been coasting more/using less brakes and most importantly...watching my speed. I've been doing 60 in the 55 zones and 70 in the 65 zones. It is painful sometimes I must admit...feels like I'm standing still. But anyway that's what I've learned so far and the mpg's have definitely improved.

The traction control should only be turned off if you are stuck in the snow, mud or whatever else so it will let your tires spin freely...
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM

I noticed that my 2012's suspension is noticibly softer now than when i bought it 15K ago. Seems to have lost some stiffness.

Nick
_________
2014 Chevy Silverado High Country Crew Cab - My NEW DD
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: '13 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP, '12 Outback 3.6R Limited, '09 Ford Flex, '82 Porsche 911SC, '04 Volvo V40, '95 RR CountyLWB, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), '83 VW GTI
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 AM

Car: '13 OBW SAP 3.6R
The stiffening of the suspension was 1 of the 2 reasons I went ahead and purchased the 2013. That and the push button start and in general the SAP package. I have to admit I'm coming from a car where I installed a firmer suspension for handling purposes and wow, this car is still plush without the float which I consider dangerous honestly. I test drove a few 2011s and a 2012 and hated how they handled. I was actually following a 2012 the other day on the highway going about 75 and theirs kept bouncing up and down over the imperfections while mine hugged the road. Well done Subaru.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 AM

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R SAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
I noticed that my 2012's suspension is noticibly softer now than when i bought it 15K ago. Seems to have lost some stiffness.
Usually that's the shocks, but it would be sad if they are loosing their ability to damp motion at 15k. Watch the aftermarket shock thread in the Suspension forum.

"fine" is the enemy of good.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 AM

Car: 06 Honda S2000 and 13 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Moonroof Pkg
I maybe should not speak up since my Outback ownership is measured in hours, but the OP did mention tire pressures higher than the door placard. This could cause a harder ride perception, as well as possible decrease tire life due to uneven wear. I recommend adjusting tire pressures to the placarded values.

FWIW, my previous Subauru was an 03 WRX, and I never found a tire pressure setup for the street that worked any better than the manufacturer recommended pressures. I think the suspension engineers at Subaru have things dialed in just about right, and tire pressures are part of the setup. Try it their way and see what you think.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 AM

Car: '15 FXT
Quote:

The other concern is Traction control,i dont know whether to turn it off or on,but i i felt skidding with Traction control on..do i need to turn it off or on?
Please explain the circumstances that lead to the "skidding."

I was told at the dealer to disable the TC in "slippery conditions." The first time I drove in snow I figured out why. I would turn left and put a little pressure on the gas like I did in my Jeep 4x4 and the car did not turn but went straight! This was on flat ground and slow speeds. I found vehicle control difficult and unpredictable.

With the TC off the vehicle drove more like the Jeep did and I found it easy and predictable. In snow, mud or wet grass I now always turn the TC off. On rain wet pavement however or patchy ice I find the TC makes the road fell like it is dry.

I know Subaru's slogan is "Confidence in Motion" but sometime I think it should be "Overconfidence in Motion."

-Dave

Common sense, isn't common.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Space Invaders Champion

Car: 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Quote:
Hi
I bought 2013 subaru outback 2.5 and it has 3300 miles on it now.
From the day one i feel suspension is a bit stiff and i can feel it for everything,i saw in this forum some ppl had problem and they decreased the air pressure,mine is 33 front and 34 rear..i guess that is ok? or should i decrease more?

Another concern is my mileage..i drive 30 miles per day,but 90% is freeway,but mileage is not crossing 23 and more worst is when i drove in highway for 150 miles..still my mileage is 23.1(is it because of winter season) I stay in chicago and mostly my heater on ..

Please give me an advise as iam really upset with my 32k car.
If you want the softer springs from the earlier year, I have a set and and willing to trade you straight up. I'll ship them to you, you can install them, and them ship me your '13 springs. We each pay shipping one way. You can use the box I send mine in.

Mine are not on the car, so I can send them so you can install, so your car isn't on blocks. They had <9,000 miles on them.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue View Post
Please explain the circumstances that lead to the "skidding."

I was told at the dealer to disable the TC in "slippery conditions." The first time I drove in snow I figured out why. I would turn left and put a little pressure on the gas like I did in my Jeep 4x4 and the car did not turn but went straight! This was on flat ground and slow speeds. I found vehicle control difficult and unpredictable.

With the TC off the vehicle drove more like the Jeep did and I found it easy and predictable. In snow, mud or wet grass I now always turn the TC off. On rain wet pavement however or patchy ice I find the TC makes the road fell like it is dry.

I know Subaru's slogan is "Confidence in Motion" but sometime I think it should be "Overconfidence in Motion."
This has got to be one of the most confusing posts ever novablue

Traction control capability on the OB is on all the time the button you turn off eliminates the throttle cut feature when traction is lost and might change the logic some for how the ABS system controls spinning tires. The only time you need to turn this off is when your stuck in a snowed in parking lot or mud bog where you need enough throttle / Power sent to spinning wheels to get the car moving. All other use while moving down the road this feature stays on and simply prevents you from enhancing a skid by adding more power to wheels already lacking traction. Think of is as an aspect of ESC its there to help prevent people from causing a skid caused by too much throttle and spinning tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: