2013 Subaru outback suspension - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post 2013 Subaru outback suspension

Hi
I bought 2013 subaru outback 2.5 and it has 3300 miles on it now.
From the day one i feel suspension is a bit stiff and i can feel it for everything,i saw in this forum some ppl had problem and they decreased the air pressure,mine is 33 front and 34 rear..i guess that is ok? or should i decrease more?

Another concern is my mileage..i drive 30 miles per day,but 90% is freeway,but mileage is not crossing 23 and more worst is when i drove in highway for 150 miles..still my mileage is 23.1(is it because of winter season) I stay in chicago and mostly my heater on ..

The other concern is Traction control,i dont know whether to turn it off or on,but i i felt skidding with Traction control on..do i need to turn it off or on?

Please give me an advise as iam really upset with my 32k car.
krish_05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

On the suspension... didn't you test drive it before you bought it? Do not decrease your tire pressure below what is marked on your door placard.

MPG... what speed do you drive on the freeway? Don't expect to drive 70-80mph and get 30 MPG. It does not work that way, not with the way these cars are geared. Your car will much prefer going 55-60. Also consider that MPG tends to increase after the car has had some time to break in.

Traction control should be left on. Your traction control has more to do with your going traction than your stopping traction. You felt skidding under braking? That comes down to your tires and the ABS. Traction control primarily is designed to decrease a possibility of torque steer and keep the vehicle moving in slippery conditions.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

On the 2013's, they actually stiffened up the suspension because too many people were complaining about the suspension being too soft in prior years. I personally think it's a little stiff, but prefer that to being too soft.
Bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

LOL proof that you can't build a car that works for everyone's taste. HA never thought I would see a thread on this topic in a Subaru Forum. Subaru has always been a tad on the soft side compared to all the other auto makers. The 13 is probably the closest thing to the Automotive standard regarding suspension stiffness that the Legacy platform has ever seen.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Legacy Limited CVT Car: 2011 Outback Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Mazda MX5 GT 6MT Bike: 2003 Honda GL1800ABS ** Reunite Gondwanaland! **

Stiff is good for a Miata with 4.5" ground clearance and
next-to-nothing suspension travel.

Soft is good for an OB with 8.7" ground clearance and
gobs of suspension travel.

IMO, 2010-2012 OBs got it right -- then Mother Soobie
caved-in to complaints from wannabe auto crossers.

...one-size-fits-all doesn't,

Looby
2003 Honda Goldwing ... 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 . 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...... 6'3" H2
Looby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

I've never driven a current generation Outback but I can say that my 2nd gen is a perfect combination. Stiff enough to handle extremely well, soft enough to be comfy.

Those who complain about ride and handling in their Subaru should go drive a Cadillac for a while.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
gls

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i

Since you live in Chicago you aren't speeding unless it's 2am on the tri-state .. Winter mileage is really bad on outbacks, we get around 22.5 in Michigan with an 80H/20C mix. It's supposed to improve after 7-10K. I'd just wait, it will also improve with summer gas and warmer temperatures in a few months. The stock Contiprocontact tires are not helping either (with ride or mileage). You could switch to something like Michelin Defender/Energy or Continental Procontact Ecoplus / or similar LRR tires which would get you 1 or 2 mpg better. I'd leave traction control on unless you are on gravel roads or sand.

Also, if possible, leave your heater & fan off when you start driving in cold weather which will keep engine RPM's lower on the CVT. You can turn the heat on when your temp gauge reaches the 3/8 mark. Also, try to keep RPM below 2500-3000 when accelerating. The CVT will change ratios for you. Coast as much as possible instead of using brakes. This might also get you 2-3 mpg more.
gls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium

Decreasing your air pressure will result in poorer fuel economy as well as driving at speeds above 65mph. During the winter months you're going to see lousy numbers anyway but you can offset them by using a lower fan speed and keeping your warm up time around 30 seconds. Also be sure that your roof bars are stowed.

They stiffened the suspension to make it more compliant during panic maneuvers which of course comes at the cost of comfort.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Thread moved to correct forum.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV

My test drive results was that the suspension on the 13 was tighter (especially the front end), but that the rear still liked to wallow a wee bit. Improved over my 11 as far as steering as well. No euro carver or go kart though and doesn't need low tire pressure to make it more like a Buick Electra. If the OP wants that he should hunt for a 10-12 that the original owner wants to sell.

AltaBrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: